RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rudeness Towards RX350 Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 09:58 AM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not noticed anything with my Lexus, but my husband did get some bad treatment while he had his BMW.
Old 06-08-10, 12:34 PM
2010rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TL2008GX47
As sad as it is to admit, yes, it's because of the car you're driving. This has happened to me multiple times. When I drove a Mercedes to an Infiniti and now to a Lexus. I have had people pass me, just to flip me the finger and I'm simply driving down the highway. Most recently, I have experienced people not merging into the left (passing) lane when I'm entering the Interstate and force me to slam on the brakes or drive on the shoulder. Of course, the left lane is clear. Of course, after I get behind them, there comes the finger again. Not surprising, almost every time this has happened, they are driving a beat up domestic vehicle. Sad.
you are the one merging not them you should merg into there lane don't think because you drive a lexus people should slow down or speed up just for you
Old 06-08-10, 03:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't think it's rudeness towards RX drivers, it's the rude drivers themselves (they're everywhere) and you happen to be driving a Lexus.

The RX is Lexus best selling vehicle at 90k-100k units per year. It's well established on the automotive landscape and probably not a target in most cases. There are probably exceptions though.
Old 06-08-10, 05:12 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have experienced rude drivers while driving cars I've owned costing much less and much more than our RX. I've never felt the reactions had anything to do with the brand of car I was driving.
I have experienced driver's seeming to be more polite to me when I drive an older classic vehicle I might own.
I interpret most driver's actions as more of inexperience and not being required by our authorities to be more familiar with our road laws and not requiring more training with regard to operating skills. We view a driver's license as a right and not a privilege.
Having said all that, I will add this is just my observation in my part of the world.
Old 06-08-10, 08:54 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

I'll take a risk and go in a different direction.

For example, driving in Boston takes a different strategy--you are on your own and can't be shy. I have driven my Vette on the LA Freeways and I could not wait to get out to LA. Stress at an all time high.

I've been to Bombay (Mumbai) and New Delhi--that's a whole different story--small cars, 8 lanes in one direction on a city street and some drivers will just go 90 degrees on the street. Just don't hit a cow (and I used to car pool to work with someone from India--a stressful drive indeed)

Mexico City-a red light is merely a suggestion to stop.

The South East Florida--everything from Seniors who probably should not be driving to --well, try driving in SE Florida.

Now--think about our population and all the immigrants who come from a number of different cultures. Different driving styles, rules. many do not assimilate easily and rather than being rude, its just attributable to a different culture.

Hell, my wife thinks I am a too aggressive driver and I just think she is an oblivious driver. She can't even park in the middle of a parking spot at a lot--gets too close to car next to her (years ago on 2 different cars, on one the side mirror that was too close to a parked car was broken off ,and on another car someone etched some lines in the hood).

I have had people park so close that not only did I have to get in from passenger side but I had to be extraordinarily careful in backing out so as to not touch the car that parked too close (and that was parking at the edge of the lot)

But yes--some are just rude but there are all sorts of reasons for so called rudeness and some just self inflicted.

It's all part of life.
Old 06-10-10, 09:19 AM
b67
Rookie

Funny, I noticed a little of this and was thinking about it the other day. I did notice better courtesy from other luxury card drivers but worse form some crappy car drivers.

My other car is a 09 Impala LT company car
Old 06-10-10, 11:18 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

just yesterday a lx SUV passes me on the left well over the limit--then forces/squeezes her way into my lane and as I honked she gives me the bird (thats when I noticed her Harvard Business School license plate bracket).

The reality is some people are just oblivious, some just bad drivers, some mean SOB's and some just arrogant. And some on the phone all the time.
Old 06-14-10, 06:22 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Completely agree with you guys. Now the Lexus Lane, that would be cool to have to beat the traffic! The truth is, I believe a lot of people are simply jealous and will probably go away as the car ages.

This isn't my first Lexus, but the other was an IS. I have found that drivers will show me a heck of a lot less respect on the road with the RX. Maybe it has to do with the Hybrid aspect, but drivers seem to want to jump start and beat it much more then before.
Old 06-15-10, 05:30 AM
Orbit
Rookie

Might be an SUV issue. Often when I'm passing another car on the interstate, they speed up to match me. I'm running on cruise control, so I know I'm not varying my speed.

Perhaps they don't believe that an SUV can (or should) go fast. I had the same issue with my Highlander.
Old 06-15-10, 07:29 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

OK - here's the perfect example of what I'm experiencing. Woke up the other morning to find my car was viciously attacked with mud bombs, loose dirt and loose grass clippings thrown on the hood and windshield of my car while parked in front of my own house in a quiet suburban neighborhood during the night.

I had an inkling who may have done it, but others thought it might be kids just doing a random act of violence. OK, so this morning I wake up to see it was done again! I'm sorry, but twice is not a random act, it is a personal attack. Three times and I'm calling the cops!
Old 06-15-10, 01:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

ChitChat, definitely call the cops and have them do extra patrols. Chances are it's not an isolated incident. Now if it was me, I'd be sitting in the car with my brother's 140 lb Rottie and wait for them
Old 06-16-10, 06:23 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitChat
OK - here's the perfect example of what I'm experiencing. Woke up the other morning to find my car was viciously attacked with mud bombs, loose dirt and loose grass clippings thrown on the hood and windshield of my car while parked in front of my own house in a quiet suburban neighborhood during the night.

I had an inkling who may have done it, but others thought it might be kids just doing a random act of violence. OK, so this morning I wake up to see it was done again! I'm sorry, but twice is not a random act, it is a personal attack. Three times and I'm calling the cops!
Con't wait for the third time - report it to the police now. I'm sorry that you experienced such a vicious, malicious act.