RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rudeness Towards RX350 Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 08:42 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudeness Towards RX350 Drivers

OK, so this is my first luxury car and my first SUV. I've noticed that in the past few months of driving my new RX, I've experienced a lot less driver courtesy on the road and feel it may be due to the stigma against SUV's hogging the road, etc. plus the jealousy of others from me driving an expensive car.

I'm in no way a show-off type of person and I feel I'm a good driver. However, I notice a lot of times people will not let me merge into traffic when necessary, I feel like a lot of people are driving over the lines in the road and driving very close to me and to top it off somebody just punched my car as I was driving very slowly through a parking lot. He said I almost ran over his girlfriend (yeah, right).

Just wondering if others have felt like a target due to jealousy or reputations of drivers of this type of vehicle for no reason.
Old 06-01-10, 09:01 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

did he punch your window, or an actual painted panel? if he caused damage, I'd call the cops and report it.
Old 06-01-10, 10:08 AM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

You could be on to something there. I have not had any of this happen with my RX, but my husband got some bad treatment when he had his BMW.
Old 06-01-10, 10:12 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think there is a ring of truth in what you say. I have noticed some changes.
Old 06-01-10, 10:26 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

a lot of time the hostility is toward "new" cars. I hate having that temporary tag on a new car because I'm just asking for "attention".
Old 06-01-10, 10:39 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Do you think it's hostility towards the RX or the fact you're in a Lexus? Unfortunately there have been some not so nice images perpetuated. Some states nicknamed the toll lanes where people pay a premium the 'Lexus lanes.' Not sure why because I can think of many cars that cost much more.

The only strange thing I've found is people avoid me in the hybrid. Maybe they think something is going to happen (think unintended acceleration) or that I don't have power. I just ignore their ignorance.

ChitChat, I know there are warnings in the 450h manual about looking out for people since the car is quiet. I've learned to be extra careful because 95% aren't paying attention anyway. A bomb won't wake them up. Next time someone hits your car make sure you call the cops. Obviously a hothead like that will lack credibility. Probably wouldn't stick around anyway. Sorry to hear about your experiences.
Old 06-01-10, 03:32 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's NY. TOO MANY A$$HOLES ON THE ROAD. Can't do nothing about that. The cops don't even care, they only care about giving out tickets for stupid things.
Old 06-01-10, 04:13 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I think what you're experiencing is very subjective and in no way would anyone be able to reach anything more than a tentative, personal conclusion based off such qualitative observations.

Having said that, I'm originally from NYC and do sympathize with the type of driving that goes on down there. I don't know where in NY you are, but if you're driving around a flashy lex in a poor neighborhood than it shouldn't be too surprising that you're experiencing "rudeness". I'm not saying it's justified but it also isn't really surprising.

Personally we haven't experienced any rudeness because of our RX. There do happen to be many other RX's in our area but nonetheless we haven't experienced any rudeness that I'd attribute to our RX.

Lastly, if anyone ever incurs damages on your vehicle, especially if you are in it, you should call the police immediately. Situations like that can escalate very quickly into assault and battery and much worse.
Old 06-01-10, 04:26 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Probably has a lot to do with the new car/luxury car, not many people will ever get the enjoyment of buying a new camry let alone a car worth twice the price, you will deal with jealousy and hate from others, get use to it.

Your concerns with not being let in, that happens everywhere, morons in the right lane don't realize that they are suppose to merge to traffic entering the highway, people riding the lines, more morons who can't drive, it's funny how people suddenly change once they get behind the wheel.

The guy who punched your car, be careful, when I was 20 I would think nothing of making him eat the blacktop, literally, but now that I have stuff to lose and I have a lot to risk and older and wiser I would, follow him to his car, get his plate, call the cops and just occupy his time, someone who punches your car is simply physically saying Im jealous of you just cause I see you have a better car then me.

I typically avoid crowded parking lots, dude was probably having a fight with his gf, one of the reason i tinted my windows, no visual contact is just piece of mind.
Old 06-01-10, 06:32 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In certain areas in NY, I see more ppl who like to scratch the new cars or those "Luxury" cars.
Old 06-01-10, 07:33 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitChat
OK, so this is my first luxury car and my first SUV. I've noticed that in the past few months of driving my new RX, I've experienced a lot less driver courtesy on the road and feel it may be due to the stigma against SUV's hogging the road, etc. plus the jealousy of others from me driving an expensive car.

I'm in no way a show-off type of person and I feel I'm a good driver. However, I notice a lot of times people will not let me merge into traffic when necessary, I feel like a lot of people are driving over the lines in the road and driving very close to me and to top it off somebody just punched my car as I was driving very slowly through a parking lot. He said I almost ran over his girlfriend (yeah, right).

Just wondering if others have felt like a target due to jealousy or reputations of drivers of this type of vehicle for no reason.
that is just NY/NJ "thang"
Old 06-02-10, 06:02 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rxets
In certain areas in NY, I see more ppl who like to scratch the new cars or those "Luxury" cars.
stay classy NY!!
Old 06-02-10, 06:24 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=kitlz;5533260]Do you think it's hostility towards the RX or the fact you're in a Lexus? Unfortunately there have been some not so nice images perpetuated. Some states nicknamed the toll lanes where people pay a premium the 'Lexus lanes.' Not sure why because I can think of many cars that cost much more.

Re: the lexus lanes. Suspect the choice is at least part due due to aliteration. "Lexus lanes" flows off the tongue and sounds a lot better than "mercedes lanes", "cadillac lanes", "BMW lanes", etc. Nevertheless, I don't like it
Old 06-02-10, 08:54 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Lex Lane? Sounds like the love child of Superman's arch-enemy and his ex-girlfriend...
Old 06-02-10, 09:01 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Hmmm, can't say we've noticed a significant change in the past 10 yrs between camry, accord, Tahoe and RX330/350. I've used the antilocks on many occasions to avoid hitting another vehicle that cuts in front with less than 20 ft clearance at highway speeds then THEY hit their brakes to keep going to the next lane over. I'm sure this is not unique to our area or what you're driving. The only thing different in the past 3 years is that nearly all these people are on the phone now adays. With the economy slump, need to be more careful as I suspect many more are out there without insurance.
Just to fill space, I'll tell ya a story: Last year a small Audi sports car with out of state plates was weaving in traffic behind me, finally passed me and jumped in front of me but hit his brakes. Well, my 2.5 ton Tahoe can't stop that quickly and my chrome bumpers smashed his rear. My bumper is slightly crinkled, it sounded alot worse than what was on my car (so the sound was all his). That little car took off though...I figure car was stolen or had no insurance. Had no way to chase that little car, but then again, didn't want a confrontation and then have to shoot him. To top it off, I swear he flipped me just as he was cutting in. Some bald guy in a little sports car...go figure. Anyway, just a story to add to the weirdness.

Last edited by afpj; 06-02-10 at 09:08 AM. Reason: kant spel

Quick Reply: Rudeness Towards RX350 Drivers