RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Back up camera disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 11:51 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Back up camera disappointment

During the summer months I trailer a boat and jet skis that I launch on weekends. This weekend was the first time I used my RX to tow anything. I was very disappointed when you back up with the RX you cannot see the tow hitch in the camera screen. In my previous MDX and Q7 I could back up and connect all by myself because with the camera I could get the hitch perfectly in place. On the lexus screen you have the lawyer gibberish on the bottom of the screen and it affects the view. The camera also just isn't as sharp or detailed as the acura or audi. I wish I had reseached that more before I bought it. The RX pulls and handles fine for what I need as tow vehicle but the camera makes for a huge annoyance.
Old 06-03-10, 03:50 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

yeah, seeing as how the RX isnt a real tow vehicle, the backup camera is just used as a parking aid.
Old 06-05-10, 05:32 PM
maakaveli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not even a good parking aid, it doesnt even have the guidance lines and in canada you have to pay so much for the sensors!
Old 06-06-10, 12:06 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

For about $25 you can buy a DIY kit on Ebay which is simple to install and does the job:

Parking Sensors

For me anyway, the camera is good enough...
Old 06-06-10, 12:10 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

I can never buy another car without a backup camera, lines or not. I just need it to see how much space I have left back there to get maximum clearance.
Old 06-06-10, 01:20 AM
CLIS250
Pole Position

you should know aproxx how much is how close from the camera to real life, test it out, put a bucket on the floor and see how much and how close you are in the camera, then get out and look at the actual real life distance.
Old 06-06-10, 06:46 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

I think the back-up camera is actually a big improvement over previous gens. The angle is wider and everything looks much closer than it is. Took a while to get over the feeling I would hit something on the side when backing up. And the light when backing up is very bright.
Old 06-06-10, 10:55 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdkellys
On the lexus screen you have the lawyer gibberish on the bottom of the screen and it affects the view. :
I just took a closer look at mine and the "lawyer gibberish" is on the screen where the top of the rear bumper shows up. Thus it does not interfere with any of my rear view.

I have the lines in my Audi A6 and I have to admit I miss them. With the Audi I can park in a tight spot using just the camera, not so in my Lexus. The angle of the view is slightly scued (sp?) in the Lexus so I am not totally comfortable using just the camera.

Having said all of that, I have gotten use to it and am happy with the vehicle, it is just one of those small things that I would put on a list of "I would take it if I could get it" items. It would not be a deal breaker for me.
Old 06-06-10, 12:19 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

spelling is skewed. haha
Old 06-06-10, 11:27 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What lawyer gibberish?
Old 06-06-10, 11:58 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

^^ The "check surroundings" before backing up. On my 04, the sentence actually blink 5 times and then stays on.
Old 06-07-10, 01:57 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
spelling is skewed. haha
Thanks!! It did not look or feel right when I typed it but I guess I was just too lazy to look it up. As an engineer I use to say I can be bad at spelling as long as I get the numbers right!!!!!
Old 06-07-10, 03:11 AM
euroja153
Driver

During the summer months I trailer a boat and jet skis that I launch on weekends. This weekend was the first time I used my RX to tow anything. I was very disappointed when you back up with the RX you cannot see the tow hitch in the camera screen. In my previous MDX and Q7 I could back up and connect all by myself because with the camera I could get the hitch perfectly in place. On the lexus screen you have the lawyer gibberish on the bottom of the screen and it affects the view. The camera also just isn't as sharp or detailed as the acura or audi. I wish I had reseached that more before I bought it. The RX pulls and handles fine for what I need as tow vehicle but the camera makes for a huge annoyance.
I find the camera very good, but I dont have the tow, I would want to see it I had it on my car

Last edited by euroja153; 06-07-10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-07-10, 06:23 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just surprised that the lexus camera is not better. I guess i was spoiled by the audi camera. I use to be able to hook everything up by myself and now it is a two person job again.
Old 06-10-10, 09:11 AM
b67
Rookie

Strange, while I cant see my hitch I can see the ball and ball mount when I have it in. I have a curt hitch and a silent hitch ball mount, length seems standard to me.

Quick Reply: Back up camera disappointment