RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

...I wonder if a Lexus is...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10 | 06:12 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Unhappy ...I wonder if a Lexus is...

..a good suv to buy, all I hear is soft paint, soft windshields, paint swirls....yes I know that for every one complaint there are probably dozens of happy owners, but at this point I am trying to decide between an MDX and an RX 350 (equally equipped) and I am finding it hard to decide for an RX 350 after all I read here and in other forums.
PLEASE...if I am misguided please bring you opinions forward...I always belived in Toyota/Lexus quality but after all the negative comments coming not only from repeat owners (which could be perceptio) is also coming from new RX 350 owners first expiriences..
I am concerned...thanks for any and all comments..
Old 06-09-10 | 06:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i will say it this way. if today i am shopping for suv in this segment, it will be rx for sure. easily over mdx for that matter.

every brand and model, trust me, if people are being frank, you will see problems here and there
Old 06-09-10 | 07:03 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

^ what rominl said. every make and model will have something that is not perfect, whether you choose german, japanese or american. go with the most reputable brand for reliability and dependability that fits your budget. imho, that is lexus.
Old 06-09-10 | 07:21 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by svofan1
..a good suv to buy, all I hear is soft paint, soft windshields, paint swirls....yes I know that for every one complaint there are probably dozens of happy owners, but at this point I am trying to decide between an MDX and an RX 350 (equally equipped) and I am finding it hard to decide for an RX 350 after all I read here and in other forums.
PLEASE...if I am misguided please bring you opinions forward...I always belived in Toyota/Lexus quality but after all the negative comments coming not only from repeat owners (which could be perceptio) is also coming from new RX 350 owners first expiriences..
In the latest Consumer Reports under mid-size lux SUV's, the RX 450h and RX 350 are 1st and 3rd respectively in safety and 'predictible' reliability. On these forums you'll encounter less than 1% of the owners and a lot of the time the most vocal are the very small group that encounter issues.

You should be very happy with either RX.

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-09-10 at 07:22 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-09-10 | 07:55 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

we had few other Lexus vehicles before and many others in between. RX350 is absolutely the most/best vehicle for your money. you can't possibly go wrong with Lexus PERIOD! if you are considering MDX, you should consider 2011 with 6speed since 5speed is/was problematic but why worry when you can have RX350. Me and many others were earlier adopters but later built 10RX suppose to be even better with newer acoustics front windows, Enform, softer rear shocks, and etc. You should also be able to get deep discounts on 2010 since 2011 will be showing in 2 months or so.

problem you read/hear about paint/windshield and few other cosmetic stuff here are in minority and every manufacturers forum sites like this have exact same discussion. Go check it out for yourself.

Last edited by sightdev; 06-09-10 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-10-10 | 01:06 AM
RXSF

If the car of brand didnt have any problems, these forums wont exist. People dont usually make threads about how great the car is, that gets old fast. We talk about issues, help each other out, and figure out a solution.

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f8/

look what other people are talking about on the MDX
(note that that link isnt to a very good and active forum, but you get the picture)
Old 06-10-10 | 04:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think the paint and windshield quality is much different if at all with the MDX.
The paint swirl problem is caused by bad detailing which can happen on any black or dark color vehicle from any auto manufacturer.
Both the RX and MDX are nice vehicles.Test ride ride them both.The MDX will handle better but the RX will have a smoother ride.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-10-10 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-10-10 | 07:49 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I would do it all again. The only reason for a MDX would be for the 3rd row. And that's only if you have small children. The MDX was my second choice but, with the Lexus' reputation and the quality of the interior in comparison, it became clear. The RX has real wood the MDX does not and for $50k it should. To get ventilated seats you have to opt for the top of the line model, not so for the RX. Let's not forget about gas mileage, once again the RX wins.

My dealership experience was outstanding, that sold me on the first visit.

Good Luck
Old 06-10-10 | 07:59 AM
voerman
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I are also shopping for a new SUV. We currently have a BMW X3. We looked at an MDX and the RX450. I found the RX to be a bit more luxurious than the MDX. Driving the two was not a lot different. I did not like the lack of visibility out the rear of the MDX caused by the rear windows being swept down. Of course the MDX has the third row seat if you need that feature. We were leaning toward the RX.

However, I have been concerned about the throttle sticking incidents on the Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I tried to contact Lexus to determine when/if the brake override feature will be added to the RX but they have not responded to my repeated attempts to communicate with them via their website. This is to me a basic safety feature which I now have on my BMW and would want on my next car.

Lou
Old 06-10-10 | 08:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by voerman
My wife and I are also shopping for a new SUV. We currently have a BMW X3. We looked at an MDX and the RX450. I found the RX to be a bit more luxurious than the MDX. Driving the two was not a lot different. I did not like the lack of visibility out the rear of the MDX caused by the rear windows being swept down. Of course the MDX has the third row seat if you need that feature. We were leaning toward the RX.

However, I have been concerned about the throttle sticking incidents on the Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I tried to contact Lexus to determine when/if the brake override feature will be added to the RX but they have not responded to my repeated attempts to communicate with them via their website. This is to me a basic safety feature which I now have on my BMW and would want on my next car.

Lou
I haven't heard of any incidents with an RX.The RX has the Denso gas pedal unit which hasn't had any sticking problem like the US company CTS built gas pedal assembly.
Maybe a Lexus dealer can't program the brake override in an RX as part of a sales deal.Call a Lexus service dept service advisor and see if it's possible.
Old 06-10-10 | 08:24 AM
RXSF

If you are solely looking at the RX450h, all toyota/lexus hybrids have had the brake override feature since the beginning. No worries! Plus the RX isnt included in the recalls and have not had any "legitimate" complaints
Old 06-10-10 | 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

ah the recall again. trust me, if you are actually stepping on the brakes all the way, the car will stop
Old 06-10-10 | 09:05 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

I am a repeat buyer and I would do it again. there have been no safety issues with the rx and I love the mileage and the ride. However, car choice is a personal issue, so if you have reasons to purchase a different model, do so. Just don't do it because of what you see here. This is a valuable site to detect any issues, whether they be of lexus origin or do to other influences, and to gain insight from other owners about how to deal with them. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-10-10 | 09:06 AM
b67
Rookie

I have noticed the paint thing, not sure what the windshield thing is about though.

Oh, and about the paint, mine is black; so you see everything - that could be it. I did notice bird dropping etching really quick, never seen that on any other car before.

I would not concern myself with the stuck accelerator thing, while possible, I think most cases involve #1 idiots, #2 scammers, #3 not-so-smarts who put thier all weather mat over the regular mat
Old 06-10-10 | 11:58 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

you should check this:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/Images/Lexus-...585-978043.pdf

Quick Reply: ...I wonder if a Lexus is...