RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Front Spoiler for RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 04:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny
I don't know if I agree, unless I have salient facts before me, however... we're discussing an option that is by all accounts not available in North America, and in this instance, exclusively from Lexus JDM. That $1500 is the factory option price, and I can only imagine what premium one would have to pay to bring those parts here. So your point then is moot. Perhaps our friends at XenonDepot might be better suited to interject here. From my POV, I may try this, as my son installed one of their systems last year, and we were thoroughly satisfied with the ease of installation and the quality of the material supplied. It may not have been Lexus OEM parts, but really what is nowadays with manufacturers sourcing from all points on the compass?
I installed a Xenon Depot HID headlight set on my '06 IS 250.Great quality parts and no problems.Having no AFS wasn't great,though.
Just don't feel it's not worth it for my fogs.
I never use them except for.....rain and fog.
Old 06-18-10, 05:26 AM
ry888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, the HID fogs cost so much...
How 'bout the black projector headlight that look like rx hybrid????
I was thinking about changing the rx350 chrome headlamp to black multi projector headlamp... anyone has done that in this forum???
Old 06-18-10, 09:25 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if I agree, unless I have salient facts before me, however... we're discussing an option that is by all accounts not available in North America, and in this instance, exclusively from Lexus JDM. That $1500 is the factory option price, and I can only imagine what premium one would have to pay to bring those parts here. So your point then is moot. Perhaps our friends at XenonDepot might be better suited to interject here. From my POV, I may try this, as my son installed one of their systems last year, and we were thoroughly satisfied with the ease of installation and the quality of the material supplied. It may not have been Lexus OEM parts, but really what is nowadays with manufacturers sourcing from all points on the compass?
both the cheap fog kit and lexus japan hid kit do the same thing: provide lighting so you can see better. on this point, i can assume we both agree. if price and visibility is your only criteria for judging whether to go with a regular aftermarket fog kit or lexus japan hid kit, then obviously the cheaper solution would be for you.

now if the beam pattern is important to you, then the lexus japan hid kit would be the way to go. look at the picture below on how the beam pattern is displayed, and you'll understand why i say it's better than a cheap aftermarket hid kit. can an aftermarket hid kit provide the same type of beam focus/pattern as the lexus japan hid kit? i don't think so.

as for quality of jdm fogs, all you need to do is look at the pics of my fogs in the link below and see for yourself. this should give you a relative good idea what the 3RX oem hid projector fogs are like in terms of quality, size, and workmanship.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-the-dark.html

as you can see, i speak from experience. i don't think my comments are moot as you put it.

as for pricing, i've already mentioned it above. around $1,900 give or take a few hundred bucks. the price includes markup, duty, shipping, insurance. not cheap, and as i said before, you have to pay to play. i never said this mod is for everybody, it is expensive but exclusive.
Attached Thumbnails Front Spoiler for RX350-img_specifications_exterior_08.jpg  

Last edited by Stormforge; 06-18-10 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-18-10, 09:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I installed a Xenon Depot HID headlight set on my '06 IS 250.Great quality parts and no problems.Having no AFS wasn't great,though.
Just don't feel it's not worth it for my fogs.
I never use them except for.....rain and fog.
Joeb, good to know. I'm not fond of the yellowness of the fog lights and the LEDs are kind of anemic. So I have the fogs on all the time.
Old 06-18-10, 09:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Storm, I knew you'd jump into this one. And not everybody can play the same game as you

Seriously, I am only exploring my options at this point. I figured I'd hit up Carson to get an idea of cost and take it from there. Obviously I want to make sure I put in what will work best. Whether that's the JDM fogs or something else, I don't know. Damn, I wish my installer was still around
Old 06-18-10, 09:39 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by kitlz
Storm, I knew you'd jump into this one. And not everybody can play the same game as you

Seriously, I am only exploring my options at this point. I figured I'd hit up Carson to get an idea of cost and take it from there. Obviously I want to make sure I put in what will work best. Whether that's the JDM fogs or something else, I don't know. Damn, I wish my installer was still around
i understand kitlz, but i don't want people trashing the lexus japan hid kits unless they have their facts straight. IF lighting visibility and pricing is all that matters, then i would agree that a kit from xenon depot would do the job well. to me, lighting is more than just affordability and bright light. it's also about quality and beam focus/pattern.

i'm sure you will find the best lighting product you need when it is time for you to get a fog light. keep looking for a new installer, you have time!

Last edited by Stormforge; 06-18-10 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-18-10, 01:24 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Storm, I don't want to flog this topic to death, and I can see you feel quite passionate about it; I would feel likewise if I spent that kind of dough. However, the advantage that is promoted in the Lexus description has more to do with luminosity than pattern.

In comparison with the halogen lamp, brightness of 3 times approximately 40% economical electric power the projector type discharge fog lamp of merit.
Pattern is something that is critical with the higher set low beams, and I for one abhor the converters out there driving around with unmasked HID bulbs in headlights. I wish the MVB would bring back the vehicle inspections that were mandatory 30+ years back, when light patterns were scrutinized for compliance. Nevertheless, in this case, we're talking fogs which I stubbornly only use when we really need them out here on the coast. I refuse to drive around with them on 99% of the time - it's just not what they were designed for.

In conclusion, if I'm only using them during thick foggy conditions, oncoming drivers will not be blinded by my unmasked fogs. Fog lights on all factory cars I've driven are generally aimed at the pavement anyway, not at eye level. In the last forty years, they have gone from being a practical, but limited light source, to an unfettered and unregulated fashion statement, not only by ordinary Joes, but car makers as well... Oh, and I hope the trash statement wasn't leveled at me. I'm the last guy to put down Lexus...
Old 06-18-10, 02:05 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Storm, I don't want to flog this topic to death, and I can see you feel quite passionate about it; I would feel likewise if I spent that kind of dough. However, the advantage that is promoted in the Lexus description has more to do with luminosity than pattern.
we can agree to disagree on this point.

Pattern is something that is critical with the higher set low beams, and I for one abhor the converters out there driving around with unmasked HID bulbs in headlights.
but that is what you will get if you put a regular aftermarket hid fog kit into the fog light assembly. it is the same as if you were to put hid kits in the headlamps. and this is the point i'm trying to make (perhaps unsuccessfully), and why the lexus japan hid fog kit is better as it does not blind you like the regular hid fog kits do.

Nevertheless, in this case, we're talking fogs which I stubbornly only use when we really need them out here on the coast. I refuse to drive around with them on 99% of the time - it's just not what they were designed for.
i will respect your decision on when/where to use them, as long as you respect my decision on when i use them.

Oh, and I hope the trash statement wasn't leveled at me. I'm the last guy to put down Lexus...
not at all. but perhaps "trash" was too harsh a word to use. my intent is that before anyone disregards the oem hid fogs due to price, that they look at what they are getting for the price. you could buy a $200 suit at moore's, or you could buy a $2K+ zegna suit at holt renfrew. there is a huge disparity in price between the two suits, but the quality (cutting, fabric, style, etc) is night and day difference. you get what you pay for, that is all i'm trying to say and emphasize.
Old 06-18-10, 04:23 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I failed to mention, one reason I do leave them off most of the time is I was once warned by the cops in Port Moody at a road stop. The constable told me to turn them off, and it was actually raining heavily at the time. I asked him to clarify his request for me, to which he replied the law says they can only be on in foggy conditions. I never pursued the veracity of his statement, so I decided to comply anyway. So technically, with so many drivers non-compliant nowadays, it is probably used as an excuse to find something wrong...
Old 06-18-10, 04:40 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

I failed to mention, one reason I do leave them off most of the time is I was once warned by the cops in Port Moody at a road stop. The constable told me to turn them off, and it was actually raining heavily at the time. I asked him to clarify his request for me, to which he replied the law says they can only be on in foggy conditions. I never pursued the veracity of his statement, so I decided to comply anyway. So technically, with so many drivers non-compliant nowadays, it is probably used as an excuse to find something wrong...
interesting, thx for sharing. i have always been running with fogs on (either hid or just plain halogen fogs), and i've never been pulled over for using them. perhaps i should lessen my use of fogs to be more compliant...but once you are accustomed to driving with them on, it's hard not to!
Old 06-18-10, 05:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

That sucks especially with the LEDs. The fogs make a big difference, yellow and all
Old 06-21-10, 12:47 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it and it looks really clean. I think bigger aftermarket wheels and a mild drop will make it perfect