RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX 350 Hesitation shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 09:24 AM
danhinton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Johnny
I have the RX 350 Sport and have not experienced this phenomena, nor do I shift the way you do. When I shift gears, my foot is on the brake pedal, not the throttle - you're asking for trouble doing shifting in this manner...
Thanks for the warning Johnny, but my foot is definitely on the brake. I don't know where you got the impression that my foot is on the accelerator, as I never stated this. I simply stated there is a definite hesitation in acceleration AFTER switching gears. I am not asking the vehicle to do anything it is not designed to do. After shifting gears, the vehicle is at full stop. I could live with the slight hesitation, it is the lunging or sudden acceleration that is dangerous. The order of operation is this: Depress brake, shift, press accelerator 1/3, hesitation, then sudden acceleration. I hope this make it clear to everyone. I will post a video with sound, that will show everyone what I mean. I'll send a link within the next few days.
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Last edited by danhinton; 06-22-10 at 10:00 AM. Reason: to make the scenario clearer
Old 06-22-10, 09:49 AM
danhinton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
I agree that it might just be "perceived" that it is 2 seconds, but rather it is more like half a second. In a situation like that, it is easy to feel like the time is prolonged because you are frustrated with the tranny. Also, the sports package does not change the behavior of the tranny.
I just tested your theory RXSF. Thanks for the response...
I ran through some tests in the parking lot, here's what happens:
1: From park to reverse, foot on the brake pedal while shifting, if I press the accelerator half way without waiting, there is clear and perceived delay in acceleration. The vehicle starts out at idle speed, then lunges to catch up to the accelerator at JUST under 2 seconds.
2: From reverse to drive, foot on the brake pedal while shifting, if I press the accelerator half way without waiting, there is clear and perceived delay in acceleration. The vehicle starts out at idle speed, then lunges to catch up to the accelerator at JUST under 2 seconds.

If I wait 2 seconds after shifting gears, there is no delay in either scenario. So, my point is this: Either Lexus puts in their manuals for the 2010 RX350 that "the owner must wait 2 seconds after shifting from reverse to forward or forward to reverse, or uncontrolled acceleration WILL result," or they fix this problem.

Last edited by danhinton; 06-22-10 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 10:55 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

i look forward to the video
Old 06-22-10, 10:56 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Danhinton,

I have gotten this problem since day 1 (bought new with 8 miles on the ODO, build in Canada). I talked to the General Manager and he confirmed that all the '10 RX he has driven act the same way but assure me that if it bothers me too much then bring it in for them to look at.

After pulling out of my driveway, the vehicle is COMPLETELY stopped, put it in Drive and gas in. There is a pause/hesitation and then it moves forward. However, when I come to a complete stop (like at the traffic light/stop sign), gas in and it moves smoothly.

I drive my 4Runner in the same manner and there is never this problem with my 4Runner. I think we all should report this so Lexus will do something about it. It is the safety issue.

Thanks, All.
Old 06-22-10, 11:36 AM
danhinton
Driver School Candidate

Finally, some validation, both from the owner and dealer. I will be taking the vehicle to another dealer for further testing. Lexus head office states to get a 2nd opinion from a different dealer. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 06-22-10, 01:53 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

chances are, it just needs reprogramming.
Old 06-22-10, 05:37 PM
makalan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pay more attention to the gear today, It is almost instant for the gear to engage when I change from R to D (brake still depress), I can tell by the vehicle have a little forward momentum. I also put in couple attempt on acceleration right after shifting done, and I don't feel any hesitation.

I just pickup my RX last week new with VIN# JTJBK1BA8Axxxxxx, so it might be a early model thing. I'll try to video the experience with my iphone tomorrow for your reference.

Hopefully this info. help.

Last edited by makalan; 06-22-10 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-23-10, 12:06 PM
danhinton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnny
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Even if there is a delay - and there is obviously some confusion on the duration of this delay, you should not be throttling the engine until the transmission is engaged.
Hi Johnny,

No throttling involved here. Just hesitation after gas is applied. Video with sound to follow to demonstrate better...

Last edited by danhinton; 06-24-10 at 03:05 PM. Reason: I've calmed down...lol
Old 06-23-10, 04:57 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Ask the dealer to reprogram it.

I tested it again with my RX10 and the friend's after the engine is fully warm-up. Ours are all early built from Canada. The shift is almost instant. After the complete stop, I shifted the gear from R to D or from D to R, the car started to roll almost right away. Stepping on the pedal just made the car go out fast. Now, I can say the response time is quite closed to other cars I used to drive. I don't know how to explain why my shift takes almost 0.5 second when the engine is cold or why it makes difference after the engine is warmed.

Btw, I did thought you're depressing the pedal during the shift. Thanks for clearing the meaning of your first post.
Old 06-23-10, 09:08 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

The Lexus nanny strikes again...
Old 11-16-10, 05:53 PM
Boris2010
Driver School Candidate

Angry Transmission hesitation on RX2010

I have problem with transmission delay 3-4 seconds to down-shift while accelerating from 40 - 60 mph. In the same time RPM jumps 2000-3000 alaway up 5000. The issue becomes even more severe if I have to lower speed in the traffic from 50 to 30 and then try to accelerate - car does not move at all! This is my third RX and fifth Lexus all together and I've never had such a problem before. Not to mention American cars like Bonneville...Any suggestions?
Old 12-15-10, 10:01 AM
travj
6th Gear

Originally Posted by danhinton
Hi Johnny,

No throttling involved here. Just hesitation after gas is applied. Video with sound to follow to demonstrate better...
Hi Dan, just found your thread. Curious what the resolution to your problem was. Wondering if I'm experiencing the same thing.
Old 10-15-19, 04:14 PM
SPB
Driver School Candidate

Default Drive Delay

Originally Posted by danhinton
I have read several threads regarding hesitation and stalling, bun none address what I am experiencing. If I shift from reverse to drive, or drive to reverse, even after coming to a full stop, there is a 2-3 second delay before the vehicle will accelerate. If I have the gas pedal depressed during this delay, the vehicle will suddenly accelerate once the delay time has lapsed. This could be very dangerous in a parking lot, or if I lend the vehicle to someone who is unfamiliar with this characteristic. I have spoken to the dealer, they say it's "normal" and that I should wait the 2-3 seconds before attempting to accelerate. I have owned 15 vehicles in my lifetime, none have ever needed a pause before accelerating after switching gears. Is anyone else experiencing this? Can I impose on the forum readers to check their vehicle under the same conditions? I have driven several other Lexus models as a loaner while mine is in for service, this seems to be a problem only with the 2010 RX 350. I can't believe the dealer expects me to wait between switching gears in a $55,000 vehicle. Nowhere in the owners manual does it say to wait 2-3 seconds after switching gears or rapid acceleration could result. Any feedback is appreciated.
I have the exact same problem with my 2015 RX350. Started about two months ago.
Old 10-15-19, 05:15 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,181 Likes on 1,009 Posts

It is probably a different situation with a 4 year old car. How many miles are on it? Have you ever had the transmission fluid changed? When the car ages and the miles add up, it is good to change the ATF fluid around 50,000 miles to prevent future problems. Most Lexus or Toyota dealers will do this service for $200 to $300. If your dealer says don't do it because the transmission is sealed etc go to another dealer who does not have their head up their a$$ and only cares about new car sales after your transmission fails. A new transmission is over $5000. Good Luck.
Old 10-16-19, 01:43 AM
SPB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It is probably a different situation with a 4 year old car. How many miles are on it? Have you ever had the transmission fluid changed? When the car ages and the miles add up, it is good to change the ATF fluid around 50,000 miles to prevent future problems. Most Lexus or Toyota dealers will do this service for $200 to $300. If your dealer says don't do it because the transmission is sealed etc go to another dealer who does not have their head up their a$$ and only cares about new car sales after your transmission fails. A new transmission is over $5000. Good Luck.
48,000 miles. And yes, they said “the transmission was sealed.” Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 Hesitation shifting gears