RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New To Lexus and RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-10, 05:51 PM
Iloverui
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To Lexus and RX

Hi guys, just recently getting out of the Audi segment, and my parents are getting me a new car. First I thought about infiniti FX35 and was disappointed becasue of their paint quality and leather. Also, many told me reliability was not as high as lexus. So i decided to give the RX a try. SO, for you all who knows RX pretty well, how is the paint quality and leather interior. I mean like does the car get stone chips easily and does the leather have cracks in short milealge etc. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR any inputs~
Old 07-04-10, 06:22 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome to CL! unfortunately, lexus paint is on the soft side, so stone chips and scratches are easier to get. but a good clear bra would definitely help in preventing stone chips. leather seats i believe are very good, i haven't read anything about cracks in the leather. but as with all leather seats, if you use leather conditioner on the seats, it does go a long way to keeping them in good shape.
Old 07-04-10, 06:29 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

the leather seats on our RX are phenomenal. much better than my '08 GS.
Old 07-04-10, 06:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Welcome to CL. You came to the right place

To address your questions, the paint is on the soft side and chips a bit. Like Stormforge said a clear bra helps. I finally put one on the 450h after two RXs without it and am happy I did. The roads are brutal this year. As far as the leather, it wrinkles on the sides but doesn't crack. Only the sides are solid leather, the main sitting area is perforated. I make sure I treat the leather every few weeks to keep it clean and UV protected. Fading has never been an issue.

Obviously I've been happy with the RX. I'm on my third one in almost 12 years. And they only get better. Good luck.
Old 07-04-10, 07:58 PM
Iloverui
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stormforge
welcome to CL! unfortunately, lexus paint is on the soft side, so stone chips and scratches are easier to get. but a good clear bra would definitely help in preventing stone chips. leather seats i believe are very good, i haven't read anything about cracks in the leather. but as with all leather seats, if you use leather conditioner on the seats, it does go a long way to keeping them in good shape.
Originally Posted by jtrue28
the leather seats on our RX are phenomenal. much better than my '08 GS.
Originally Posted by kitlz
Welcome to CL. You came to the right place

To address your questions, the paint is on the soft side and chips a bit. Like Stormforge said a clear bra helps. I finally put one on the 450h after two RXs without it and am happy I did. The roads are brutal this year. As far as the leather, it wrinkles on the sides but doesn't crack. Only the sides are solid leather, the main sitting area is perforated. I make sure I treat the leather every few weeks to keep it clean and UV protected. Fading has never been an issue.

Obviously I've been happy with the RX. I'm on my third one in almost 12 years. And they only get better. Good luck.
Sorry for the Multi-quote, since I would like more input from all of you~ First I want to Thank you so much for your inputs. As still a university boy, I don't know too much about cars and this is my first new car. how is the maintenance fees and problem? are the recall news effecting RX? any tips for buying the car? THANX AGAIN
Old 07-05-10, 07:33 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

I can't really say too much about the maintenance fees. We just took delivery of our RX last Tuesday. They did say, as with all Lexus vehicles that the 5,000 mile service is free. Also, since the RX uses synthetic oil and only needs to be changed every 10K miles...that the oil change at 10K miles would also be free.

The RX is not included in any recall that I'm aware of, and certainly not the latest recall that is focusing on the valve springs.

I would say now is a great time to buy. The 2011 RXs should be out in the next couple of months, so they're going to try and move as many 2010s as possible. If you're able to wait until the end of July, you'll get even better deals with the push that all dealers have at the end of each month.

Since you live in Ontario, that can't be too far from the Cambridge plant. You might actually see 2011s before anyone else. It's all up to you on whether you want a great deal on a 2010 or a not so great deal on a 2011, just to have the "newest" version first. I can't imagine there will be many noticeable changes between the 2010 and 2011.

Just have fun. Buying a car is supposed to be fun and you should enjoy it.
Old 07-05-10, 08:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Maintenance can be expensive but some people get around it by going to a Toyota dealer or going DIY. Like jtrue said, oil changes are now every 12 months/10K miles which will bring the cost down. I prefer my dealer. I have a great relationship with them and get discounts and freebies. Outside of normal service/wear and tear items, I haven't paid for anything else.

An extended warranty is available if you plan to keep it beyond the basic warranty period. I purchased them for all of my RXs. They have essentially paid for themselves with two repairs I had done outside of the basic warranty. They can be purchased when you take delivery or before the basic warranty runs out.

There are no recalls on the RX. It's been a solid vehicle since it came out in 1998, at or near the top with Consumer Reports for years. This year the 450h is number one among luxury SUVs

You can probably purchase the '10 at a discount or wait a few weeks (?) until the '11 comes out. The changes will probably be minimal between the two. The Lexus dealer can help you out there.

Last thoughts, don't settle, look around and take your time. The right vehicle is out there. Hopefully it'll be the RX
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
350-450h maintenance.pdf (468.7 KB, 620 views)
Old 07-05-10, 06:50 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Iloverui
Sorry for the Multi-quote, since I would like more input from all of you~ First I want to Thank you so much for your inputs. As still a university boy, I don't know too much about cars and this is my first new car. how is the maintenance fees and problem? are the recall news effecting RX? any tips for buying the car? THANX AGAIN
FX and RX is about same but FX will be little more sportier and will have throaty exhaust that will set it apart. overall, maintenance with RX will be similar but cost of long term ownership should be lower because tires alone will cost little less [depending on FX 18 or 20] and should be more reliable. leather/feature/paint are all about same. auto paint on new vehicles will be similar as chemical formula has changed to be more environmentally friendly hence "softer", "weaker", and "chipping'. I personally think current FX looks silly but I can't visualize a college student driving RX without the stigma of "driving your mother's RX" so choice is up to you.
Old 07-05-10, 06:58 PM
Iloverui
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sightdev
FX and RX is about same but FX will be little more sportier and will have throaty exhaust that will set it apart. overall, maintenance with RX will be similar but cost of long term ownership should be lower because tires alone will cost little less [depending on FX 18 or 20] and should be more reliable. leather/feature/paint are all about same. auto paint on new vehicles will be similar as chemical formula has changed to be more environmentally friendly hence "softer", "weaker", and "chipping'. I personally think current FX looks silly but I can't visualize a college student driving RX without the stigma of "driving your mother's RX" so choice is up to you.
HEHE thanx for your input. I agree with the last part 100% if it is the last model. But I feel like the newer model and especially with the starfire pearl color it doesn't really look like "mother's car" anymore. Well it's a personal experience and the test drive really got me going there. GOTTA LOVE THE MOUSE haha THANX AGAIN~
Old 07-05-10, 07:31 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree the new model has a much more 'hunkered down' look. I have the Starfire Pearl and the Parchment and I think it is a classy combination. I have the semi-aniline leather and it is exquisite. The dye runs all the way through the leather so, even if it does crack it is the same color.

I have found the paint chips just the same as my 4Runner did. It's hard to hold up to road debris now a days. Maintenance is like any other vehicle you can spend a lot or you can't, depends on where you take it. With the 10k oil change that sure helps, although it is more money because of the synthetic oil. For the long run.... no tune-up/ transmission fluid/ radiator fluid for 100k and no timing belt. The tires, cost wise, aren't bad compared to some cars I've had.

It's a great vehicle and I love driving it. No regrets.
Old 07-07-10, 05:46 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Default Lexus v Audi

First, welcome to the Lexus group. I hope you enjoy your vehicle.

Having said that, let me note that I am driving a 2010 RX 450h - my first Lexus after driving 13 consecutive Audis over the last 26 years. It is likely also my last Lexus. I have had it 6 months and only have 5,000 km on it. I have had trouble with it and no longer trust it. I think that the Navigation system is a joke compared to the Audi system - to the extent that I am about to order a Garmain after-market unit.

To get the features I wanted, I was forced to buy an Ultra Premium package as they do not let Canadians select individual options. I suppose Lexus thinks that we are not as clever as our US cousins. As a result, I was forced to take a seat-back DVD system at an estimated cost of US$ 2,400 even though I expect that no-one will ever be in the rear seats while I have the vehicle.

Today, in the midst of our present 94F heat wave, the a/c system failed. As you might guess, I am not a happy Lexus camper.

Last edited by oscqc; 07-10-10 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 06:21 PM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear about your problems. I've been fortunate in that I've never owned a lemon. And also that my RX has not had the problems that some other owners have had.

I have to say that I love love love my RX, my favorite car I have ever owned, including another RX and a BMW 3-series. It's extremely comfortable, reliable, the right size, with nice amenities and good engine power for its class. I get a lot of compliments regarding how comfortable it is, surprisingly from valet drivers who are used to driving more expensive luxury cars.

Minor quibble: No lighting on the overhead panel.
Major quibble: USB song selection/menu. Hopefully this problem will by fixed if/when Vaistech or some other 3rd party creates a user-friendly USB device.