RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Check AWD System" Warning Message (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 04:42 PM
nelsonsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There's A Reason Why...

Originally Posted by Dapsie
Hi all, my 2015 Lexus RX 350 has been indicating "Check AWD system, TRAC off" for sometime now. It all started when I overfilled the tank and it spilled over. The indicator came on after about 12 hours. What may be responsible. The car is barely 6 months old and don't know what to do right now.

Please assist with info
...overfilling your car is bad. It can flood your evaporative canister fouling the charcoal. However, there's no reason that should affect AWD. On the other hand, that CEL seems to come on for unrelated issues such as a discharged battery. Have your car serviced, however this may not be covered under warranty as overfilling is an user error. Dealers have been known to charge for CEL resets caused by loose gas caps. If you have TechStream, or an ODB II reader, pull codes, or avail yourself if one of the auto parts stores who will pull ODB codes for free, then Google it.

Check these out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...ine-light.html

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-c21582_ds577794
Old 04-13-16, 07:37 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 208 Posts

Check your abs sensors to see if for some reason they picked up some metal debris. This will throw off the signal. The awd system looks at the abs sensors as well to monitor wheel speed and adjust traction if necessary. it is relatively easy to check the sensors as they just bolt into the spindles near the axles.

Steve
Old 04-14-16, 11:41 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Get the actual code read. It will make more sense than a generic error.
Autozone will do it for free. I bought a Carista adapter (Beta App) for my Audi and I used it to read the code when a hybrid error came up. Of course, the dealer read the same code as well and got everything sorted. Ended up being a sensor wire that got rubbed off.
Old 08-02-16, 06:34 PM
S1mone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - check AWD system, track and engine lights on

I am traveling out of town and halfway through my drive the lights came on "Check System AWD, engine and trac light". Can I still drive this way until I get home and able to get to a dealer? Should I start looking for a dealer now? I am 300 miles from home.

Originally Posted by Howard2002
Well, "TRAC OFF" and "Check AWD" message showed on the display on my 300 miles new 2012 RX. I was a little upset. But ... thank you for your message. I took out gas cap and tighted it up again, the message is gone. Now I need to cancel my appointment ...

FYI - I filled up my gas three days ago. Just tight the gas cap would not work. I need to took the gas cap off, and tight it up. Hope this helps some to many.
Old 08-03-16, 07:35 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by S1mone
I am traveling out of town and halfway through my drive the lights came on "Check System AWD, engine and trac light". Can I still drive this way until I get home and able to get to a dealer? Should I start looking for a dealer now? I am 300 miles from home.
I had the same dilemma being 1,100 miles away from home. Disconnected the battery and the light went off for another 2,500 miles. Turned out to be a bad wire on a temp sensor for MG1 motor.
RX was out of service for 2 days while it was diagnosed at a local dealer. Go to Autozone and read the error code first. That will prove to be very helpful. I have Carista app and device, so I was able to grab it the second time it went off.
Didn't do it the first time.

My code was P0A2D - Drive Motor "A" Temperature Sensor Circuit High
Old 12-05-16, 05:22 AM
chiggarRX
Driver School Candidate

Question Infamouse "CEL on indicating "Check AWD system, TRAC off"

This Sat, my 14' RX350 AWD's CEL came on indicating "Check AWD system, TRAC off" as I was driving on the highway. Car seemed to drive okay but used the S mode, since the ECO mode was disable. However yesterday while driving, the CEL and rest of the warning messages cleared. The car was normal with ECO mode enable. Just called Lexus service, was told they can not performed any diagnose without CEL on and should continue to drive until the CEL comes on again. Thought the error messages remain until someone clear them. Please advise.
Old 03-16-17, 10:19 AM
jaw2009
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check engine and something on 4wd system?

Ok, I have a 2015 RX350. It has under 12k miles on it, We have made 3 trips since taking ownership of over 150 miles in one direction - mostly highway - the rest of the mileage has been rushhour stop and go and some around town etc *typical driving*

Snow Tuesday, my wife took the car to drop my daughter off at the subway. Came home no issues reported.

Yesterday I start it up and I get some warning about the 4wd system (I think - sorry it was early AM), also a check engine light was blinking. The car was sluggish and struggled to shift gears or get to posted speeds (50 mph). I moved it manual shift and it was better - the total drive was about 8 miles - I was planning to take it to a dealer - but said dealer was about 15 more miles away. I stopped for a bagel (I had a day off, so I splurged), when I came back to the car, no idiot lights no warnings no issues with transmission, so I did not take to dealer. The of the day and this AM the car did not replicate the issue. I have had it from about 9k miles to the present about 12k miles.

What to do? Wait and if it replicates take to dealer? Or did I accidently hit a button or something that caused this to happen?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-17, 10:50 AM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may be able to take it to one of the chain auto parts stores and have them read any stored codes on the computer.
Old 04-03-17, 04:36 PM
jlewis3806
Driver School Candidate

Default AWD Light & Warning Lexus 350

A Warning light telling me to check the AWD is on. Can I continue to drive the car?
Old 04-03-17, 05:52 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Can you please explain "continue to drive". Does that mean ignore and will get to it at when I can get to it? Or I am going to drive to a shop to have it investigated.

If it is the later, then it should be OK. Based on the diagnosis you can choose to have the repairs done immediately or postponed for a later date/tim.

Flashing warnings mean do not drive.

Salim
Old 04-07-17, 10:29 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jlewis3806
A Warning light telling me to check the AWD is on. Can I continue to drive the car?
I would search this site for AWD warning, it seems to me that I remember on older models that warning could be as simple as a loose gas cap.
Old 04-16-17, 07:32 PM
judylynne6
Driver School Candidate

Default AWD check and off track

What deos this mean
Old 04-23-17, 05:17 PM
Golfstock
Driver School Candidate

Default AWD warning light

Just came on, has happened once before a year ago and never came on again. 2010 RX 350 with 170K mikes.
Electrical or mechanical?
Old 04-26-17, 10:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jaw2009
Ok, I have a 2015 RX350. It has under 12k miles on it, We have made 3 trips since taking ownership of over 150 miles in one direction - mostly highway - the rest of the mileage has been rushhour stop and go and some around town etc *typical driving*

Snow Tuesday, my wife took the car to drop my daughter off at the subway. Came home no issues reported.

Yesterday I start it up and I get some warning about the 4wd system (I think - sorry it was early AM), also a check engine light was blinking. The car was sluggish and struggled to shift gears or get to posted speeds (50 mph). I moved it manual shift and it was better - the total drive was about 8 miles - I was planning to take it to a dealer - but said dealer was about 15 more miles away. I stopped for a bagel (I had a day off, so I splurged), when I came back to the car, no idiot lights no warnings no issues with transmission, so I did not take to dealer. The of the day and this AM the car did not replicate the issue. I have had it from about 9k miles to the present about 12k miles.

What to do? Wait and if it replicates take to dealer? Or did I accidently hit a button or something that caused this to happen?

Thanks!
i would love to know what code was stored in the ecm from that. because then we would have an idea of what caused it to happen.
Old 10-11-17, 02:17 AM
Wills12345
Driver School Candidate

Default Check AWD issue

Hey guy!
No idea why an emissions sensor failed and caused the AWD System message to come on (as well as the check engine light and trac control light). Gone for scan and diagnostic and it says misfiring but really difficult here to get a guarantee Lexus workshop in Africa . Plz what could be the cause of the problem ? Thanks

Quick Reply: "Check AWD System" Warning Message (merged threads)