RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

iPod USB connection error

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 12:43 PM
ssbbp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation iPod USB connection error

Hey guys, just joined the forum!
I've been searching to see if anyone else had the same problem but apparently i'm the only one...
this is my issue: i have a 5th gen 30 GB ipod classic connected via USB. Every now and then whenever i start the car, i get a message saying "Connection error" from USB on the screen
i then figured out that if i turned of the stereo before turning the car off, the next time i turned it back on i wouldn't get this message.
That seemed to work for a while but not anymore. Now even sometimes during playback it would stop and the "Connection Error" would pop-up.
The only way to get the ipod working again is by:
- turning the car off
- disconnecting the USB cable from the car
- turn the car on again and then connecting the USB cable
- and then selecting AUX-USB
But this doesn't work all the time. Sometimes i would have to keep doing the same until it works.
It's getting very frustrating. I was wondering if it's software or hardware related...
Is there anyway to fix this, if anyone has the same problem and has figured a way to fix this, your help is greatly appreciated.
i've also tried using a different USB-ipod cable thinking it was a faulty cable
thank you everyone!
Old 07-12-10, 01:41 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Welcome ssbbp.

This is an old issue here. If you do a search, you'll find a few threads on the topic. I am heading to my dealer Wednesday and will check if there is a firmware update available. I'll be sure to post the information when I find out. The manual says to reset the iPod when the error appears. It doesn't work. Turning off the car is the only way to get around it.
Old 07-13-10, 08:02 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Welcome ssbbp.

This is an old issue here. If you do a search, you'll find a few threads on the topic. I am heading to my dealer Wednesday and will check if there is a firmware update available. I'll be sure to post the information when I find out. The manual says to reset the iPod when the error appears. It doesn't work. Turning off the car is the only way to get around it.
I look forward to what you find out. I demonstrated to my service advisor the difference between the different versions of firmware and he was going to research the situation and tell me what he finds out. I have an oil change coming up and hope for some news. My fear is this a hardware issue, perhaps not covered by warranty.

Good luck to you Anita and also welcome to this group ssbbp. Being new to the group myself I can say there are many great and helpful folks here.
Old 07-14-10, 07:01 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

David, according to one of the SAs, there is no firmware update as of yet but it is a problem he knows about. I use a playlist with my iPod so it's only a problem during those rare times when I'm trying to find a song I want to hear. There is a device available from VAIS that specifically addresses this issue among other things. For me, I'll keep my fingers crossed that a fix is in the near future. I'm just happy Lexus finally put the USB port in the RX. It was looong overdue.
Old 07-15-10, 05:28 AM
mikemacch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the same problem once in a while with my Iphone, it resets by disconnecting and reconnecting the connection at the phone. I also get a problem with my iphone as a blue tooth audio player, it works great until I change to radio or cd, then it will disconnect. I have to reconnect it thru the menu.
I am suspecting a Firmware problem for all of these issues, how would we know if it is fixed?

Mike
Old 07-15-10, 11:23 AM
ssbbp
Driver School Candidate

what would be the best bluetooth solution for a 5th gen ipod classic?
Old 07-15-10, 09:07 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by ssbbp
what would be the best bluetooth solution for a 5th gen ipod classic?
Just curious, what model of Lexus do you have and does it have a navigation system?

I've used both a 5th generation iPod, the 1st generation iPhone, the 3GS iPhone and I've tried the iPhone 4 and it is pretty rare I get the USB connection error. Granted there were days it seemed to happen repeatedly in a day, but it has nearly disappeared and I've changed nothing. Those "bad" days turning off the car and restarting it was all I needed to do. I leave the Apple device connected all the time and buried deep in console. I hear it chirp when I start up the car, but otherwise ignore it completely. I put the phones in airplane mode to save battery life, so they aren't using wifi, Edge, 3G or whatever to shorten battery life when the car is turned off. If you can't leave it in the car, still try to leave it in as much and as long as possible. I know the car can't learn, but it seemed to. (On the other hand the scrolling problem will not disappear on it's own.)

I'm suggesting plug it into the car and forget taking it out for a week and see what happens.

Someone else will give you bluetooth suggestions.

Last edited by DunWkg; 07-15-10 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Typo...
Old 07-16-10, 12:15 PM
Sakke
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem with my two years old ipod as ssbbp and I have the navigation system. I'm taking my car into service on next Friday and I'll ask solution for the problem. I'm assuming that Lexus knows this problem and they will have solution available but let's see.

And what comes to the bluetooth... I have not been succeeded to pair my two years old Nokia phone at all.

These small things start to annoy me. I hope Lexus will fix the errors and service guy will not recommend to buy new cell phone or ipod...

Sakke
Old 07-24-10, 06:05 PM
Sakke
Driver School Candidate

I had my car in 12 months / 10000 mile service. I was lucky to have the letter from Lexus Customer Services saying the service is complimentary because the service consultant didn't know anything about this 12 months / 10000 mile complimentary service. Anyway, I couldn't repeat ipod connection problem anymore. What a shame. I have struggled with the ipod several times and when taking the car into service, the connection problem does not exist anymore. Ssbbp, I'm sorry I don't have any solution to provide.

Sakke
Old 07-26-10, 08:54 AM
Brewdog
Driver School Candidate

Default iphone 4 and RX

Hi David/Anita/All-

I have the Iphone 4 as well, and i get a message when i connect that states the devices are not optomized. then, i can't access any menus from my ipod, it simply says the device is connected. i can only access the car screen menu which as we know is limited and clunky when you try to scroll songs.

I may be reading this wrong, but has anyone been able to get around that issue and use the Ipod to navigate?
Old 07-26-10, 01:57 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by Brewdog
Hi David/Anita/All-

I have the Iphone 4 as well, and i get a message when i connect that states the devices are not optomized. then, i can't access any menus from my ipod, it simply says the device is connected. i can only access the car screen menu which as we know is limited and clunky when you try to scroll songs.

I may be reading this wrong, but has anyone been able to get around that issue and use the Ipod to navigate?
Wiith USB the car controls the iPod/iPhone. With a few limitations, if your nav firmware is older. The iPod screen will show connected, period. No song selection on iPod.

With Bluetooth, iPod remains in control for song selection. Car shows connected and allows pausing and playing. I think it may say random too.

So USB, you and passenger can control iPod via nav.
Bluetooth hand the iPod to anyone in the car.

This is assuming you have navigation.

Anyone else please speak up.
Old 07-26-10, 04:59 PM
mikemacch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I do not have nav, when I connect via blue tooth it can only be controlled by the unit (iphone 3g). I cannot pause or select random. The problem i am seeing is that when I change to another mode such as am/fm and then return to Bluetooth Audio I get a connection error. The only way to use it again is to reconnect or restart the car.
Old 07-03-18, 03:11 PM
Labdr
Driver School Candidate

Default iPod error 6 with RX350

I have a 2011 RX350 and a 160 gig iPod. It has worked fine for years plugged into the usb port (it is not a bluetooth one). I am getting error 6 on it. The iPod works by itself with ear phones and the usb connector on it syncs with iTunes so it is functioning as it should. I can unplug the iPod and plug my iPad into the usb port and it works fine.

Is there a software for the Lexus that will correct the issue?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.