RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Fog light lens....shattered

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 06:57 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny
Are the fog light lenses really glass? I tapped one last night, and it sure sounds and feels like polycarbonate.
Ask Jim Rizzuto https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5641240-post1.html . He started this thread. I tapped it too and couldn't tell.
Old 07-19-10, 07:40 PM
jrizzuto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I can't really tell. I had a clear mask applied to the front end, including the fog lights. The lens is shattered alright, spider cracked completely. The mask is actually holding the whole thing together. So much for these plastic overlays - it still shattered.

SO BTW - the dealer says the labor is 1.5 hours. $121 for the assembly plus about $100 for labor ( dealer says he can limit the cost to one hour). And yes they peel back the bumper to do it.

I still think I can get to it from beneath.
Old 07-20-10, 06:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jrizzuto
well I can't really tell. I had a clear mask applied to the front end, including the fog lights. The lens is shattered alright, spider cracked completely. The mask is actually holding the whole thing together. So much for these plastic overlays - it still shattered.

SO BTW - the dealer says the labor is 1.5 hours. $121 for the assembly plus about $100 for labor ( dealer says he can limit the cost to one hour). And yes they peel back the bumper to do it.

I still think I can get to it from beneath.
That's not good!I guess the overlay is a waste unless you go blue tint for a better HID match.
The chance of this happening is so small but it does happen and it being a $350 stinks.
I've read you can't change the fog bulbs without taking the bumpercover off.I wonder if that's true.
Old 07-20-10, 07:48 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That's not good!I guess the overlay is a waste unless you go blue tint for a better HID match.
The chance of this happening is so small but it does happen and it being a $350 stinks.
I've read you can't change the fog bulbs without taking the bumpercover off.I wonder if that's true.
The bulbs can be changed without removing the bumper-cover. You reach down from the top and then just a quarter turn.
Old 07-20-10, 07:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MEP7557
The bulbs can be changed without removing the bumper-cover. You reach down from the top and then just a quarter turn.

That's great news,thanks!

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-20-10 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-20-10, 08:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Really? It seems like a reach from top. Maybe it's easier from below or through the inside fender. I'm having the fogs and other lights changed out Friday and will take pictures, also for the benefit of jrizzuto. Hope it might work for you when you change out the assembly. Taking off the bumper is not my idea of fun.
Old 07-20-10, 08:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
Really? It seems like a reach from top. Maybe it's easier from below or through the inside fender. I'm having the fogs and other lights changed out Friday and will take pictures, also for the benefit of jrizzuto. Hope it might work for you when you change out the assembly. Taking off the bumper is not my idea of fun.
Great!
Looking forward to the pics.
I only use my fogs for rain/fog so I'm looking to add a set of PIAA Plasma yellows or another yellow quality H11 bulb.
Old 07-20-10, 09:53 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried from below the first time I changed them out. Not the best way. Removing the engine cover pieces and reaching down is much easier, I do have long arms though. I changed my fogs to 6000k halogen and they match the HID lights much better, no more yellow look and it was a cheap do.
Old 07-20-10, 09:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I tried from below the first time I changed them out. Not the best way. Removing the engine cover pieces and reaching down is much easier, I do have long arms though. I changed my fogs to 6000k halogen and they match the HID lights much better, no more yellow look and it was a cheap do.
I haven't looked but can you get two arms down there to take out and push in the bulb assembly into the socket?
Old 07-20-10, 07:18 PM
jrizzuto
Driver School Candidate

Nice - thanks, can't wait to see them. I too agree there has to be a way to get at them from the wheel well or directly underneath.

Good luck with your project.
Old 07-20-10, 07:26 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

What bulbs did you use? Sylvania silverstars?
Old 07-21-10, 11:45 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe on the 350, there is enough room to reach down from the engine cover hole, but not on a 450.
Old 07-23-10, 09:19 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Cruiter, were you able to get the chrome piece off from around the fogs? If so, do you have any input on how to remove them? Just thinking it may be easier to put the protective laminate over the lens.

Thanks,

lar
Old 07-23-10, 09:49 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NEAT_SC
Cruiter, were you able to get the chrome piece off from around the fogs? If so, do you have any input on how to remove them? Just thinking it may be easier to put the protective laminate over the lens.

Thanks,

lar
Lar
I didn't try to take it off. If you're ready to install yours, just clean the lens good, get something sharp like an exacto with a fresh blade, a clean rag and an old credit card.

If I was gonna do it again I might consider lying down under the bumper rather than setting on my *** & bending over. Just what ever is easier for you. I started by smoothing the laminate out from the center to the edges. It will overlap the chrome area. Just use the knife to trim 'under the chrome edge' and pull off the excess all the way around (there is a lot of excess laminate). Then smooth it out with a wash cloth type rag wrapped around the old credit card. The laminate is pretty thick and it's not hard to do without bubbles. You're done, go to the other light then step back & observe. It's that easy

Send photos when you're done.

The only mods so far are the lens laminate and the vinyl gutter guard material I put over the bottom grill area to protect the A/C condenser from road hazards. Both times I was either on my butt or lying down under the front end. Must be a message there

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-23-10 at 09:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-10, 09:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by afpj
What bulbs did you use? Sylvania silverstars?
Not a fan of Sylvania Silver Stars.A lot of people say they get 6 months to a year out of them.
These Hoen bulbs used on BMW's and Audi's are said to be of great quality and their Xenonmatch Fog Light Bulbs are 4000K and said to match factory HIDs very well.
I just bought a set of their yellow fog H11 bulbs.
Great quality and 40% cheaper than PIAA's.

http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog.htm

Quick Reply: Fog light lens....shattered