RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX Pre-Owned Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 10:43 AM
Vitaliy23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX Pre-Owned Help

Hey Guys,

I’m in the market for a 2010 pre-owned RX AWD preferably with 10k miles. I have been looking though my local Lexus dealerships (NY, NJ Area) inventory and the prices range between 36 k - 42 k which is not reasonable, as the car is used and the 2011 are coming out. I have a few questions that come to mind.
1) Has anyone purchased a pre-owned 2011 RX without a navi and if so how much they paid.
2) Should I wait for a 2011 models to come out to get a better deal on the pre-owned 2010 model? I’m in no rush to purchase the vehicle just need to get a good deal.
3) How much is reasonable to knock of the advertised price on a pre-owned Lexus.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 07-26-10, 10:58 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

be careful when looking for certified pre-owned vehicle on such a new model. Chances are, they were once used by the dealership as loaner cars (cars given to people to use when their car is being serviced). As a result, these cars, while certified and remain under warranty, are brutally driven and actually take a lot of abuse, both mechanically and physically.

Lexus dealers usually take these low mileage loaners out of their job so that they can resell them as certified preowned, so be sure to ask your salesman if the car you are looking at was once a loaner vehicle.

If you have just been looking at the prices listed on websites, them you can guarantee that those prices are inflated. You can expect to knock off another 3K. Of course, this is strictly based on used car sales and not specific to the RX.

Good luck shopping.
Old 07-26-10, 11:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
be careful when looking for certified pre-owned vehicle on such a new model. Chances are, they were once used by the dealership as loaner cars (cars given to people to use when their car is being serviced). As a result, these cars, while certified and remain under warranty, are brutally driven and actually take a lot of abuse, both mechanically and physically.

Lexus dealers usually take these low mileage loaners out of their job so that they can resell them as certified preowned, so be sure to ask your salesman if the car you are looking at was once a loaner vehicle.

If you have just been looking at the prices listed on websites, them you can guarantee that those prices are inflated. You can expect to knock off another 3K. Of course, this is strictly based on used car sales and not specific to the RX.

Good luck shopping.
So true.
The OP should just buy a new '10 RX for under invoice which can be done now.
Old 07-26-10, 11:25 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

42k is high but 36k doesn't sound so bad, and you can grind away another 2k I'd think.
Old 07-26-10, 11:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I definitely would stay away from pre-owned too. I can remember taking a test drive in the 450h last year with maybe 1K. The interior was already looking bad with scuffs that won't come out. Expect worse if it was a loaner. People abuse the hell out of them around here. Wait for the better deal on the '10s when the '11s drop. It should happen soon.
Old 07-26-10, 12:16 PM
Vitaliy23
Driver

That defiantly crossed my mind ( loaner cars get abused). What would be the absolute perfect time to go in to a dealership for 2010 new models? I think the 2011s are coming out in September. I know the inventory is getting thinner and I don’t want to miss out. And what can I expect as far as how much below the invoice?
Old 07-26-10, 01:10 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitaliy23
That defiantly crossed my mind ( loaner cars get abused). What would be the absolute perfect time to go in to a dealership for 2010 new models? I think the 2011s are coming out in September. I know the inventory is getting thinner and I don’t want to miss out. And what can I expect as far as how much below the invoice?
Some here have recently bought '10 RX's for $2K under invoice.
I bought at invoice in April.
Old 07-26-10, 01:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitaliy23
Well, the annual golden opportunity event goes on until September 7. It might be hard to push them now since the dealer incentives are on leasing the RX versus buying it. And more money is made by the dealer there. So maybe close to the end or after it's over.

Can't help you on what kind of discount to expect. Mine was special order. I did get a few thou off though. Good luck.
Old 07-26-10, 01:54 PM
Vitaliy23
Driver

The true invoice amount, does it vary from state to state. How would I know if the dealer is really producing the right numbers? Also, does anyone know what is the invoice amount on a 2010 rx AWD without navi?
Old 07-26-10, 01:55 PM
RXSF

go in as soon as possible. They should already be making room for the new RXs now. I would just go in to get an understanding about the pricing. Even getting it at invoice is pretty good, anything below is obviously better. And of course, since you are only out there playing the field, you should have no problem walking away which might yield you a better deal
Old 07-26-10, 02:02 PM
RXSF

truecar.com
edmunds.com http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rx350/2010/index.html

the first thing you need to do is go to the lexus website and build the one you want by inputting your zip code. Lexus gives different areas of the country different configurations, specific to region. So you wont be able to say you want, or dont want, anything. Your region gets a batch of vehicles and you can only choose from those.

THen go to the above websites and they should be able to give you the invoice and choose the options that are particular to your region. They will list the invoice and what you should expect to pay. Those websites I dont think have taken into account the new pricing for 2010s since the '11s are coming out soon so dont worry if the amount is higher.

Just for a general idea, invoice for an AWD without nav, but with premium package and comfort package has an invoice of $39,779.
Old 07-27-10, 06:11 AM
Vitaliy23
Driver

OK it looks like it's invoiced around $37,500. I'm going to try to get a deal at around 36k.
Old 07-27-10, 10:53 AM
Vitaliy23
Driver

Thank you all for your help. I just have one additional question what fees should I be paying if the car will be at the dealership? Do I still need to pay destination fee?
Old 07-27-10, 11:19 AM
RXSF

yes you will have to pay the destination fee, that is standard for everyone. Then your local tax, and dmv fees. Its actually quite a lot. If you end up getting the car for 36,000, the fees will end up being around 4K
Old 07-27-10, 01:25 PM
Vitaliy23
Driver

So I spoke to 3 dealerships in my area on the phone and I mentioned the invoice price that I was able to pull up from truecar.com and edmunds.com. All three dealerships pretty much told me the same thing- the invoice price that i got ($36,400) for my area code is wrong and they all have an invoice of a little over 40k. How can there be such a significant difference between edmunds and dealership price?

Quick Reply: 2010 RX Pre-Owned Help