RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 350 Bumpy ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 10:17 AM
tigerbait
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I had a '09 and the '10 rides so much smoother than the '09.
I do have 18"s.
We have the 19's but I can't see how the 18's would help that much
on the RX's stiff suspension. If they were trying to make the ride more
BMW like as Dentate said, then they failed. Maybe the 3 series. The X5
BMW has a firm but comfortable ride and handles rough roads much
better. Maybe that's why the $15000 premium over the RX. Not to mention Lexus could learn from BMW how a car seat
should feel. Of course BMW could learn from Lexus how to build a
reliable vehicle.
Old 08-04-10, 10:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerbait
We have the 19's but I can't see how the 18's would help that much
on the RX's stiff suspension. If they were trying to make the ride more
BMW like as Dentate said, then they failed. Maybe the 3 series. The X5
BMW has a firm but comfortable ride and handles rough roads much
better. Maybe that's why the $15000 premium over the RX. Not to mention Lexus could learn from BMW how a car seat
should feel. Of course BMW could learn from Lexus how to build a
reliable vehicle.
The 18's are a 60 series touring tire that has a half inch more sidewall.It's going to have a smoother ride.
I don't find the suspension stiff at all.Again,smoother ride than the '09 RX had.
Do you have the sport suspension option?
Old 08-04-10, 10:37 AM
tigerbait
Rookie

The 18's are a 60 series touring tire that has a half inch more sidewall.It's going to have a smoother ride.
I don't find the suspension stiff at all.Again,smoother ride than the '09 RX had.
Do you have the sport suspension option?
No sport suspension. I've never driven an '09 so I can't compare the
ride. My wife even wants her highlander back.
Old 08-04-10, 10:56 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

What tires do you have? We have Dunlops on 18" wheels. I keep them at 36 psi as I find the recommended psi too soft (and squeals alot around parking lots, even going slow) We had a loaner with Michelins and the ride was definitely smoother, softer, AND quieter. Overall, still a much better ride than our 05 RX. To each his own I suppose. The 05 RX suspension was too soft for my taste...too much body roll and plowing into corners. Yes, it may sound like a BMW would fit our taste better, but the service at the dealers here suck and I rather drive it than put it in the shop (if our neighbor's X5 experience is any indication). Drove a 09 highlander, hybrid, and it's suspension was way to lumbering/soft, but at the same time harsh (noisy) if that makes any sense. We are happy with our 10Rx, now at 30k miles
Old 08-04-10, 10:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Before you take a big hit trading the '10 in,why not test drive a '10 with 18's?
You can buy a set of take offs or buy the wheels from Sewell and tires from tire rack for about $2K and sell your 19 setup.
Like mentioned,trade with someone for the 18's.Many like the 19s set up.
Just make sure anything to tyest has 32 lbs of air pressure.That's what I run with.
Go with Michelin Lattitudes,they're great.
Old 08-04-10, 11:32 AM
tigerbait
Rookie

Before you take a big hit trading the '10 in,why not test drive a '10 with 18's?
You can buy a set of take offs or buy the wheels from Sewell and tires from tire rack for about $2K and sell your 19 setup.
Like mentioned,trade with someone for the 18's.Many like the 19s set up.
Just make sure anything to tyest has 32 lbs of air pressure.That's what I run with.
Go with Michelin Lattitudes,they're great.
The trend is for larger rim sizes and I do like the looks of the 19's.
The ride with 18's would have to be more than just marginally
better. But the other issue is with the seats. We just don't like
them and there's no fix. Unless I can swap the seat out of my
10 year old 740i... hmmmm
Old 08-04-10, 11:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

The trend is for larger rim sizes and I do like the looks of the 19's.
The ride with 18's would have to be more than just marginally
better. But the other issue is with the seats. We just don't like
them and there's no fix. Unless I can swap the seat out of my
10 year old 740i... hmmmm
Well,it seems now you're just turned off with the RX.
I had a '09 335i and started havng a few long starts.No doubt the fuel pump issue was coming.That was a turnoff and then that started the ball rolling with other things about the car I didn't like.Those things then became a bigger issue and more annoying.
Seems that's happening with you.
Life is short and you're dead for a long time.Get what you want and enjoy life.
Old 08-04-10, 11:58 AM
tigerbait
Rookie

Well,it seems now you're just turned off with the RX.
I had a '09 335i and started havng a few long starts.No doubt the fuel pump issue was coming.That was a turnoff and then that started the ball rolling with other things about the car I didn't like.Those things then became a bigger issue and more annoying.
Seems that's happening with you.
Life is short and you're dead for a long time.Get what you want and enjoy life.
Guess I'm just getting too old(62) and want to be rolling down the road
in my lazyboy. The RX is a well made vehicle that will last forever. Just
not for us. On our last road trip we took the BMW. Better ride but the
whole time keeping our fingers crossed it wouldn't explode. They say never drive one out of warranty. Mine is but I'm a decent mechanic and I also
carry AAA. It's a love-hate relationship.
Old 08-04-10, 12:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Guess I'm just getting too old(62) and want to be rolling down the road
in my lazyboy. The RX is a well made vehicle that will last forever. Just
not for us. On our last road trip we took the BMW. Better ride but the
whole time keeping our fingers crossed it wouldn't explode. They say never drive one out of warranty. Mine is but I'm a decent mechanic and I also
carry AAA. It's a love-hate relationship.
I'm only a few years younger than you and am all about ride comfort too.The softer,the better over handling for me.Too bad no auto manufacturer makes a super smooth ride and handling crossover/SUV.
Just can't have both...yet.
As far as BMW goes,most say lease every 3 years.
Old 08-04-10, 06:13 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not my intention to be controversial here, I am planning on an MDX or Rx 350 and I do plan to to test drive both. Didn't you have the same opportunity?....didn't you notice "something" about the ride and specially the seat confort?...I hope I do and don't get any surprises after I buy....but.....what was your experience while trying out the RX?..did you try 18 also?....please enlighten me so when I go for my test drive I know hwat to pay attention to...thanks and good luck
Old 08-04-10, 09:14 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Originally Posted by svofan1
It is not my intention to be controversial here, I am planning on an MDX or Rx 350 and I do plan to to test drive both. Didn't you have the same opportunity?....didn't you notice "something" about the ride and specially the seat confort?...I hope I do and don't get any surprises after I buy....but.....what was your experience while trying out the RX?..did you try 18 also?....please enlighten me so when I go for my test drive I know hwat to pay attention to...thanks and good luck
I have no excuses. I screwed up. Should have spent more time in the drivers seat. The test drive was around a few blocks on excellent streets. We were sold on Lexus reputation and the reviews I read only said how great the ride was. And on smooth pavememt it seemed exceptable.
My advice is to take a long test drive on all types of surfaces. Get it out
on the freeway and check for wind noise. We had to have the side glass
replacement for excessive wind noise as per the TSB. And also the bluetooth
update.(sound quality issue). Put the driver seat thru the paces. It may
be acceptable to you. For us when on long trips we just weren't that
comfortable. And for us that is priority one.
Old 08-04-10, 10:22 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved the ride quality of my 2004, 2006 and 2008 and I currently also own a 2009 in addition to the 2010--and the ride is great on the 2009 on 17" tires (all on my previous ones had 17" tires too) As I have said before, my 2010 came from Japan with Dunflops on it--which I insisted Lexus Canada swap for Michelins about 7,000 km into my ownership. My advice to anyone buying a new RX--insist on Michelins or no deal! My 2010 has 19" tires--no sport package. I just sold a 2005 BMW 545i - great car --terrible reliability--flat bedded out of my driveway 6 times in the last year -CPO warranty almost over- I still have my 335i Cab-terrible ride with crappy run flats....No more BMW's

Dentate
Oshawa, ON
Canada
Old 08-07-10, 12:32 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I really like the firm ride of the Sport Edition. I was going to buy an RX three years ago, but the mushiness trumped that purchase. In the meantime, I went through a 460 and 600h. When the '10 was released I traded the 600 for the RX. Had they not firmed up the ride, I would still be driving the beast. It had a bagged suspension which gave me the ride I wanted, but I couldn't haul much with it. Different strokes..............., I guess...
Old 08-09-10, 08:59 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 18" rims with below average Bridgestone tires, yet on the highways the RX is as solid as a rock. Very nice ride. At low speeds, going over the battered streets can get bumpy - the trait of a car-like short wheelbase, I suppose. I had a better ride in my '05 MDX Touring over the same road conditions. But at highway speeds, RX is great. If you feeling the bumps, start with the tires. They make a world of difference.
Old 08-10-10, 06:44 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an '08 rx400. In my opinion, the ride was smoother, particularly over small bumps or imperfections in the road surface. Smoothe highways, the difference is not that apparenrt. However, the hanling in the '10 450h is superior, and I like that. regarding the seats, I much prefer the "10. Maybe it's just me or the fact I have aniline leather, but I also noted the difference in both seat comfort and ride when I test drove the '10 without the aniline leather. I have 19 inch wheels, but don't know if the tester I drove had 18 or 19.

Quick Reply: RX 350 Bumpy ride