RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

USB MP3 library / sort order

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 03:58 AM
harb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB MP3 library / sort order

Hi all from Northern Europe,

I have 450h with Navigation but without Mark Levinson audio. So, bound using USB for MP3 library.

When looking at the owners guide it was stated that maximum number of directories when using USB MP3 option was 999 and maximum number of files in one 100.

The maximum number of files seem to be greater than that, but that was not the reason for the post.

I haven't yet understood the logic in sort order of files in directory. Because of limitations related to directories and files I decided to convert my music library to following format:
Directory: %artist%
Filename: %album%-%tracknumber%-%trackname%

But, for some reason the sort order does not really work like I expected. When you select a directory it will mix them up in total nonsense (that I haven't yet figured out) - but every time in same order.

And, yes - I have checked that random is not in use. Also use of random is a bit obscure because you have to select that from "play" -menu, thus you will first have to select the directory to be played and it will not randomize current playlist, so it will only become effective on the next selection.

What kind of directory structure are you using on your music library and do you have same kind of issues?
Old 07-31-10, 11:30 AM
DtBt
Driver School Candidate

We have a 08 rx400h w/ML but haven't really tried much in the way of mp3 as it is very new to us. I have encountered this same problem in my other cars with aftermarket stereos with mp3. What happens there is it tries to sort on the track number. Many times using music ripped from my cd's the track number is blank. In that case the defailt is the order the files were loaded on the media. I've used Godfather (freeware) to create proper track numbers on the mp3 files to get everything back in order. That is particularly important for audio books.
Old 08-01-10, 03:48 AM
maakaveli
Driver School Candidate

I have a 8 GB usb drive and have 221 folders (artists) on it and a lot of songs so I dont know how many but a lot more than a 100, what I do is plug it into my pc, open the usb and just create as many folders as I please, nothing else.

I have a canadian with touring package (navigation no ML)
Old 08-01-10, 07:48 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

My guess is that the sort is being done on mp3 tags, most of which are not visible. If you run your songs through some tagging software, you can edit the tags anyway you want, find out which tag is the sort field, and make the changes necessary to provide the sort order you would like. It would be nicer if the sort order were done according to the visible title or the name of the track, but it's clearly not being done that way.
Old 08-02-10, 12:56 AM
harb
Driver School Candidate

Have to do some further digging into this topic.

The library is pretty consistent as it's self generated from CDs and not from the net. I know that some discs have %tracknumber/totaltrack% format in track field and some only %tracknumber% but as all folders are out of order this does not make sense.

And also as folders with only one CD seem to be also out of order it should not be a problem with conflicting tracknumbers in the same folder either. As it is when you have multiple albums in the same folder.
Old 08-18-10, 07:46 AM
harb
Driver School Candidate

Further investigation revealed that the sort order is based on order of the files in a directory. So, not on filename nor ID tags.

The problem can be resolved for instance using FATSort utility. (might not be available for Windows)

So, now my music library with 14000 titles and 700 artists is nicely available in car also.