RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Owner with Two Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10 | 09:38 AM
JohnRXNYC
Driver School Candidate

Default New Owner with Two Questions

Hi, I am a new Lexus Owner and have been reading about Lexus Maintenance and Support. I am living in New York, USA.

I have two questions:
Even though I have Lexus Enform and SafetyConnect with SOS button for 1 year, Lexus have warranty roadside assistance. What is Lexus' phone number for warranty roadside assistance in USA? (In case my Enform expires after 1 year.)

I get two free Maintenance with new Lexus: Does the maintenance include regular oil change?? (It seems like a dumb question...)

Thanks,

From Lexus:

To help ensure that your ownership
experience is pleasant, convenient
and trouble-free, Lexus provides your
first two maintenance services at no
charge. Here are the details.
First Scheduled Maintenance
Service: Six Months or
5,000 Miles
This complimentary service is performed
at six months or 5,000 miles,
whichever occurs first. To obtain this
service, contact your Lexus dealership.
Your complimentary service will
include these items:
• Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
• Program Lexus Personalized
Settings, if requested
• Reset maintenance reminder
light
• Rotate tires
• Visually inspect brake pads,
calipers and rotors
• Check installation of driver’s
floor mat
• Road-test vehicle
Old 08-02-10 | 09:54 AM
RXSF

1) 1-800-255-3987 option 1
2) no oil change with the free service at 5K miles. It is okay to skip this service, its everything that is listed there and a free car wash. Now Im not sure about the second free one, maybe someone can chime in. If it is at 10K miles, then it would include an oil change. The RX now requires an oil change every 10K miles
Old 08-02-10 | 11:30 AM
JohnRXNYC
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the info.

Thanks,

I got another question:

On RX350, there is Rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle

What is mist cycle?
Old 08-02-10 | 11:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

John, congrats.

Since Lexus modified the service schedule, 10K/1 year is included as one of the free services and includes the first oil change. Some like me got the notification in the mail including the new service schedule booklet. Make sure you register on the Lexus website. It'll list any notices and you can search the owners manuals online including the service schedule.

Regarding Lexus Enform/Safety Connect, that does expire in one year. You will have to pay to continue Safety Connect and/or Lexus Enform/Safety Connect. I am because I think the benefits of Safety Connect are worth the cost, Lexus Enform not so much. I'm glad Lexus added these features to the RX.
Old 08-02-10 | 11:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Mist cycle is for cleaning the windshield with washer fluid. Twist and the fluid will spray on the windshield.
Old 08-02-10 | 11:50 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

I always thought "Mist" meant if there's a mist on your windshield that didn't warrant full intermittent wipers or not enough to trigger the rain-sensing wiper function....
Old 08-02-10 | 01:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

j, you got me wondering about that now. I don't have the manual in front of me right now. I've been in an RX for almost 12 years but this one is pretty differrent than the others. I still don't feel like I have a better understanding of everything even after seven months. I need the '450h for dummies' book

Last edited by kitlz; 08-02-10 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-02-10 | 02:24 PM
RXSF

The first thing that jumped out at me was that mist cycle was the function for cleaning your windshield. But it is also a mist cycle when you push the lever up past the auto mode. I dont think its necessary to know which one its referring to, just that both are there. I would think its the latter though because I dont know any car manufacturer that highlights the cleaning as a standard feature. I think this is standard on every car
Old 08-02-10 | 03:35 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by kitlz
j, you got me wondering about that now. I don't have the manual in front of me right now. I've been in an RX for almost 12 years but this one is pretty differrent than the others. I still don't feel like I have a better understanding of everything even after seven months. I need the '450h for dummies' book
i vote for kitlz to write a 'dummies' book for us!
Old 08-02-10 | 08:04 PM
JohnRXNYC
Driver School Candidate

I think MIST CYCLE means that the windshield wash fluid are sprayed like a mist instead just a straight line. I have seen my nissan altima wash fluid spray out like a line, while RX's is a spread out MIST!

Old 08-03-10 | 03:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Of course there's nothing in the manual about the mist cycle. I'm still thinking it means a spritz of washer fluid to the windshield.
Old 08-03-10 | 03:24 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Ok, so maybe I'm missing a big joke here so I apologize if I am . . .

The 'mist' setting is not something that can be selected. It's a one time position of the wiper stalk and it pops back to the 'off' position after you use it once.

The 'mist' function is a single wipe of the windshield for those times when you don't want to turn on the wipers in delay, rain-sensing mode or full 'on'.

In other words, let's say it's a foggy day. You get in the car and you just want a quick wipe with the wipers because there is 'MIST' on the windshield. You move the stalk to 'mist', get one quick wiper pass and the stalk goes back to the 'off' position. This way you don't have to turn the wipers all the way on and then off.

It's also good if a truck hits a puddle next to you or water drips from an overpass just as you are going under it. Lots of uses.

It's not a washing or sprayer activator. Just a single pass of the wipers.

Regarding the Enform and Safety Connect . . . well, I just renewed both since our 1 year trial is ending this month. I would definitely get the safety connect. The Enform is ok but I haven't really used it much to justify the cost. I will likely do so this year just on principle. It's pretty pricey for what it offers but for folks that can't find what they need on the Nav I guess it's good.

I wish they would set it up so you could do a search for something on your smart phone via google maps or something like that and then have that address and phone number import into the Enform and then your Nav. I know you can just go the Enform site but I haven't found the searches to be so great. I haven't used the online service in almost a year so they may have updated it but it didn't strike me as too good last year.

Hope that helps!

Jay