RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 07:33 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BCRCornet
Have you set your nav system's search area to "Canada"?
  1. Push the "MENU" button (behind the Remote Touch joystick.)
  2. Click on "Destination".
  3. Click on "Address".
  4. At the bottom left of the screen, click on "Search Area".
  5. Scroll down and click on "CAN"
  6. Click on "OK"
Hi!
Thanks, Yes, after a little playing around with the gps, I did select Canada on the map and viola, it worked great. On a trip to Vancouver it tried to take us off the highway into the forest for some reason, The route arrow indicated to us that we take a right hand exit off the highway???? Anyhow thanks for the tip. I am still learning about all the features on this vehicle. Enjoying the ride though!
Cheers,
JB
Old 09-10-10, 07:42 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Routing, by the Nav System

Originally Posted by gladiator9
... On a trip to Vancouver it tried to take us off the highway into the forest for some reason, The route arrow indicated to us that we take a right hand exit off the highway???? ...
I've had my RX since the end of June, and it didn't take long for me to conclude that the quality of the routing by the car's nav/GPS system leaves a lot to be desired. It especially seems to give really, really wrong instructions after I depart from a route it has laid out for me.

It's at that point where my old dash-mount Garmin GPS would say, "recalculating...", then give me good, correct new routing instructions. The Lexus system doesn't.
Old 09-10-10, 08:55 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

This is very interesting topic. I was just discovering this 2 weeks ago when visiting Vancouver... DRLs or headlights must be on as long as your engine is running...

I remember that countries/nations in Scandinavia also require to have DRL or low-beam ON all the time, but I don't konw if they must be ON when the engine is running.
Old 09-11-10, 06:15 AM
tdan10
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue as the original poster (importing a 2010 RX 350 and need to have "DRL Off" disabled to pass Canadian inspection). I made the mistake of going to Canadian Tire for the inspection prior to reading all of this and, as luck would have it, they failed the vehicle and require a mechanic's certification that legitimate fix has been made to disable the 'DRL Off' setting on the light stalk. They suggested I go to a Lexus dealer and said he will need to "reprogram the computer". When I started calling Lexus dealers in western Canada I got an amazing array of answers. Service advisors at three dealerships in Vancouver all were ignorant of the issue and said they did not know how to do it but "would check and get back to me". One even said "this is curious I have had 5 such calls today - why is everyone suddenly wanting to do this?" Lexus Canada and Lexus USA were the usual useless call center type responses. The dealer in Edmonton said they need to order a light stalk and it will take 10 days and cost $450 to install it. The dealer in Calgary said the identical thing that a previous poster on this thread said "... for $250 we will change some wiring and put in a new relay". My guess is that this is a relatively simple operation and likely closely related to the relay swap discussion to 'disable DRL' that is on the 2nd generation RX thread ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-pictures.html ) but I am not enough of a mechanic to figure it out.
As more of these cases come forward (as people import USA RX 350s to Canada) I am sure a more cost effective way to disable DRL Off will emerge. Can anyone out there advance this process before I have to spend big bucks at the Lexus dealership? Thanks.
Old 09-11-10, 08:28 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Originally Posted by tdan10
I have the same issue as the original poster (importing a 2010 RX 350 and need to have "DRL Off" disabled to pass Canadian inspection). I made the mistake of going to Canadian Tire for the inspection prior to reading all of this and, as luck would have it, they failed the vehicle and require a mechanic's certification that legitimate fix has been made to disable the 'DRL Off' setting on the light stalk. They suggested I go to a Lexus dealer and said he will need to "reprogram the computer". When I started calling Lexus dealers in western Canada I got an amazing array of answers. Service advisors at three dealerships in Vancouver all were ignorant of the issue and said they did not know how to do it but "would check and get back to me". One even said "this is curious I have had 5 such calls today - why is everyone suddenly wanting to do this?" Lexus Canada and Lexus USA were the usual useless call center type responses. The dealer in Edmonton said they need to order a light stalk and it will take 10 days and cost $450 to install it. The dealer in Calgary said the identical thing that a previous poster on this thread said "... for $250 we will change some wiring and put in a new relay". My guess is that this is a relatively simple operation and likely closely related to the relay swap discussion to 'disable DRL' that is on the 2nd generation RX thread ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-pictures.html ) but I am not enough of a mechanic to figure it out.
As more of these cases come forward (as people import USA RX 350s to Canada) I am sure a more cost effective way to disable DRL Off will emerge. Can anyone out there advance this process before I have to spend big bucks at the Lexus dealership? Thanks.

Hi!
I just had the relay installed in my 2010 RX 350 at N-Motion located at 113-2323 Boundary road in Vancouver. It took them about 2 hours and cost $150.00
Now my low beam headlights are on all the time when the engine is running. I had my Canadian Tire inspection on Friday and it passed with no problem...and I had them do the Provincial inspection at the same time.
The provincial inspection cost me $$133.78 including a $20.00 tire disposal fee.
I think we are really getting ripped off here as Lexus in California did a 180 point inspection to certify that it was a cpo (Certified Preowned Lexus) then we need a federal inspection...(for a 2010 vehicle that was built in frigging Canada)....then we need a frigging Provincial inspection.....wtf ??????
Hope you can get this done soon. I phoned N-Motion on Thursday and they took me in the same day in the afternoon.
Good luck!!
JB
Old 09-11-10, 08:37 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Post # 6 here was from a Calgary owner who had the Lexus dealer install a relay for $230.00. So they must know what has to be done. There may be more that 1 Lexus dealer in Calgary so you may have to make a few phone calls. If you are in Vancouver, then I would go th N-Motion.
Cheers,
JB
Old 09-12-10, 05:56 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default Lexus Dealers in Calgary

Originally Posted by gladiator9
There may be more that 1 Lexus dealer in Calgary ...
According to lexus.ca, Lexus of Calgary is the only Lexus dealer in Calgary.

In Canada, it appears that Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Ottawa(!) have more than one Lexus dealer. Some provinces, PE and NL, don't have any dealers at all.
Old 11-05-10, 01:09 PM
deeRX350
Driver School Candidate

Default DRL's

Hi everyone, new to the forum. Thanks to all for the invaluable info posted here. I am finalizing the import of a 2010 RX 350 from the U.S. and was wondering if anyone has had the DRL relay installed in the Ontario area, specifically Toronto and GTA ? I called a Lexus Dealership in the GTA and am waiting for an answer on this. If I get word, I will pass it along.
Old 12-29-10, 03:53 PM
tbloom33
Driver School Candidate

I just got my US imported 2010 RX350 and I got the inspection done at Canadian Tire in Kelowna. I was worried that they wouldn't pass the Federal Inspection because you can turn the DRLs off so I decided to take a chance and leave the light switch on "Auto" so that the DRLs were on and see if it would pass and it did! So now I don't have to go through costly modifications to disable the DRL off option. I did not get my Out of Province provincial inspection done there though as that requires a bit more in depth inspection I am taking it somewhere else to get that done.
Old 01-01-11, 02:33 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by tbloom33
I just got my US imported 2010 RX350 and I got the inspection done at Canadian Tire in Kelowna. I was worried that they wouldn't pass the Federal Inspection because you can turn the DRLs off so I decided to take a chance and leave the light switch on "Auto" so that the DRLs were on and see if it would pass and it did! So now I don't have to go through costly modifications to disable the DRL off option. I did not get my Out of Province provincial inspection done there though as that requires a bit more in depth inspection I am taking it somewhere else to get that done.
Hope you got a good deal in the US.
Wow, you really lucked out there. I had the relay installed in Vancouver for $150.00 plus tax. My federal inspection was done in West Kelowna and they also did the Prov. insp.
Did you purchase through a dealer or a private sale?
It is really a shame that we have to pay at least 8 - 10K more for the same vehicle when new in Canada.
Happy new Year!
Jim.
Old 01-03-11, 12:40 PM
tbloom33
Driver School Candidate

Yes I did luck out there on the Federal Inspection. I got my provincial inspection done at another shop (A Plus Automotive) in Kelowna where they only charged me $65.
I went through a guy in Vancouver (Luxury Imports) and he found the vehicle and arranged all the paperwork and shipping for me but I paid the dealer myself. It came from a dealer in Nashville. It has 11,000 miles on it and it is in absolutely mint condition! The more I drive it now the more I love it! There was some mix-up and delays in shipping so my importer offered to fly me out to Vancouver, pick me up at the airport and take me down to the border crossing were the vehicle was waiting. He was really good throughout the whole process and was very professional.

Happy New Year,
Trevor
Old 01-23-11, 08:05 AM
Kd007
Driver School Candidate

Hi I am from Edmonton and in process of importing 2010rx350 and will need drl off. Anyone have luck getting USA dealer to do the mod before import??

Thanks
Old 03-15-11, 09:45 AM
kevindoll
Driver School Candidate

Wink DRL- Edmonton?

I brought in a 2010 Lexus RX350 and need the DRL to be modified. Anyone can help in Edmonton area and know where to get it done. Thanks!
Old 03-15-11, 06:16 PM
Kd007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kevindoll
I brought in a 2010 Lexus RX350 and need the DRL to be modified. Anyone can help in Edmonton area and know where to get it done. Thanks!
Lexus in west end will charge you 460 ish plus tax, Toyota north end hasn't done it before and will charge you 180ish but won't be certain they can do it. Calgary Lexus i heard charges 250 if u want to drive it there
Old 03-21-11, 12:07 PM
kevindoll
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thank you very much for the info. I actually called kingsway toyota and they told me they can do that DRL service and charge me $300-$350 plus tax. Can you let me know who quoted you the $180. Thx again!

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights