RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Pricing/haggling help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10 | 02:54 PM
JenB
Driver School Candidate

Default Pricing/haggling help needed!

Hey everyone,

Ok heres my deal...

I'm planning to buy the RX hopefully in the next few weeks. I'm pretty set on what I want...premium package with Nav, the rear entertainment system installed and remote start installed. If theres any left, the 2010 Black Sapphire Pearl with parchment interior or else a 2011 Obsidian or Stargazer Black (if I ever get to see the darn color). I'm planning on going into the dealership tomorrow night for a 2nd in person look, to see it in the dark vs daylight, and a couple other things to play around with before a final purchase.

Here's my questions finally!

With that info what kind of price would you say I'm looking at roughly? Also can anyone help with haggling tips? I'm horrible at that! They'll tell me a price and I'll say ok! LOL Also, does it affect my bargaining position at all if I plan to place a large amount of money down at the point of purchase or possibly even buy it outright right on the spot? Is now a good time to start talking numbers or should I still wait a bit?

I appreciate any help I can get as I get closer to the actual purchase!
Old 09-29-10 | 03:35 PM
klopez3709
Rookie

I haggled for my price (just below $43k) with Nav and Prem/Comfort package (not RSE or remote start). They wanted me to pay $49K and I just kept refusing - even threatening to walk a few times (with the excuse of that I'd be back another day).

I wouldn't talk trade-in or how I was going to pay until I had the price down to where I wanted it. My trade-in value was $31K and I paid, out the door (with the exception of $125 for tag transfer) $12K - with a check. Just a hint, when they take the keys for the trade-in evaluation, make sure to get them back right away. They want you to stay until they wear you out.

I've been told and I did much research before I bought, that the dealers hate cash deals. They make more money with their own financing and leasing. In fact as I was in their finance department, the finance manager tried to talk me into leasing and all the other extras. That reminds me, don't get sucked into the extras.

My opinion - if you can afford a cash deal, go for it. Many will probably say I'm wrong, but I'm happy with the deal I made and I don't have monthly payments. I was a nervous wreck when I went to buy my baby, though. I was in the mind-set that if I didn't buy it that day, it was okay. My emotions were far out of the deal - I was in love with the car, but it didn't influence my decision that day, 1,000 miles ago.

I'm 58 and this was my first car-buying experience. I always had my dad with me - but his car wheeling and dealing days are long-gone (almost 90!).

Good luck!
Old 09-29-10 | 05:04 PM
JoyceLe83
Driver School Candidate

You should go below the invoice price by like $1,000 or $2,000 and than add tax to that and it should be your out the door price. I finally purchased my RX350 with the luxury, mark levinson, and navigation package. Pretty much top of the line just without the DVD entertainment for $49,300 out the door. Just give them a low price and work your way up slowly. Don't set on one price they give you. I pretty much got a $7,000 discount from them after they added tax and license from the sticker price. Good luck
Old 09-30-10 | 05:59 AM
Steve772
Driver School Candidate

This is how I look at it...

Depending on availability IMHO 8% off MSRP is a good deal (especially if you order one) I have heard up to 12% off (in stock leftover) with no dealer add on stuff (like under sealant etc.).

Just my thoughts,
Old 09-30-10 | 08:31 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

An 8 to 10% discount is about what I have gotten for the past 30 years. Anything over that is a big + on a new years vehicle.

After you get them to go there, then try to get something extra added on.
Old 09-30-10 | 09:39 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

The best time to buy a new car is at the end of the month; keep in mind you are fundamentally dealing with the Sales Manager, not the Salesman; the latter is interested in maximizing his commission, the former is interested in volumes. There's no place for haggling in car buying; silence and patience are the most powerful negotiating tactics there are - use them. If you talk too much, you reveal your weaknesses (personality) - they're trained to look for that. Just put your (reasonable) price out there and wait; wait a week, wait a month if you have to. They will cave eventually.

I was in Sales for years...
Old 09-30-10 | 09:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny
The best time to buy a new car is at the end of the month; keep in mind you are fundamentally dealing with the Sales Manager, not the Salesman; the latter is interested in maximizing his commission, the former is interested in volumes. There's no place for haggling in car buying; silence and patience are the most powerful negotiating tactics there are - use them. If you talk too much, you reveal your weaknesses (personality) - they're trained to look for that. Just put your (reasonable) price out there and wait; wait a week, wait a month if you have to. They will cave eventually.

I was in Sales for years...

Excellent post and advice.
Old 09-30-10 | 10:00 AM
JenBowes
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it! Unfortunately I don't think I'll be making it over there today like we had hoped because the east coast apparently needed to get hit by a monsoon! lol

Oh well, gives me more time to think and get myself prepared. I've been doing my research for what I've wanted to get for a year now and I've found myself coming back to the RX over and over again and now my lil heart is just set on it. LOL They're gonna see me coming from a mile away! Hopefully I'll walk away with a good deal. Is it ok to take a 3rd party haggler? My husband and I are horrible at that but my BFF is a natural. hehe
Old 09-30-10 | 10:48 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Once you have agreed on a price, be very careful about you discussion with the finance manager. At many Lexus dealerships, they will try to sell you add-ons that increase you final price. Typical are paint sealants, interior protectants, window etchings, Lo-Jack anti-theft system, etc. These can run into many hundreds of dollars and are at best overpriced and at worst worthless.

They will also try to sell you long term XM radio and Lexus Enform services. On these, I would wait until near the end of the free period and then decide which you really use.

Many people work the price hard with the salesman, then relax and give it all back in the finance office.

Steve
Old 09-30-10 | 11:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Once you have agreed on a price, be very careful about you discussion with the finance manager. At many Lexus dealerships, they will try to sell you add-ons that increase you final price. Typical are paint sealants, interior protectants, window etchings, Lo-Jack anti-theft system, etc. These can run into many hundreds of dollars and are at best overpriced and at worst worthless.

They will also try to sell you long term XM radio and Lexus Enform services. On these, I would wait until near the end of the free period and then decide which you really use.

Many people work the price hard with the salesman, then relax and give it all back in the finance office.

Steve
and that's with the $250 doc fees and $180 window etching which are printed right on the buyers agreement.
Old 09-30-10 | 12:26 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Beyond "East Coast" - are you located in a medium or large metro area? Are there multiple Lexus dealerships in a reasonable distance for you?

My wife negotiates with construction subcontractors all day long on deals well into six figures. She has, however, given up going with me to buy her RX every few years.

Here's an easy way to do it and avoid the face-to-face that a lot of folks abhor. Find out the name of the Internet sales rep at each one by calling the dealership and simply asking for that persons name.. You don't necessarily want to talk to them - just their name will do for now. Then ask for the dealership's fax number (better than email for this process). Often you can get all this information, Internet sales rep and fax, from the dealership's website.

Detail what you want on paper: FWD vs. AWD, option packages, color choices inside/outside, etc. Fax your 1-pager to the multiple dealerships and make sure the individual dealer's name and the salesperson's name is shown at the top along with your contact info. When they call, indicate that you've sent the same note to other dealerships and you'll make a decision in a few days when you have all the responses. Tell them during the call that you've seen the vehicle, you've already test driven the vehicle, and you want to take delivery on such & such a date...so there's no reason to come visit until their "out-the-door" (very important!) price is faxed or emailed back to you in writing and its the "best-final-offer-never-to-be-repeated" they can write. Pretty simple.

How do you know you have a great deal? That would be when one or more sales people tell you..."You won't get that car for that price."

Good luck and let us know how you did!
Old 09-30-10 | 01:53 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

hmm...where I live, auto-glass shops will do window etching for free if you have full coverage insurance. by etching I assume you mean etching the VIN number into all windows.

to the OP, today would be a very good day to buy a car...end of month and end of quarter. however, it is what it is. keep in mind that you may not find anymore 2010 RXs with what you want if you wait until the end of October. Black Sapphire is the way to go!!..plus they don't make that color anymore.
Old 09-30-10 | 09:19 PM
RXSF

I cant find a picture of stargazer black so if you can take a picture
Old 10-01-10 | 06:59 AM
JenBowes
Driver School Candidate

Well went to the dealership last night just for the 2nd look and wound up driving home in my brand new lexus! LOL That wasnt the plan but it all just spiraled out of control so quickly! hehehe (in a good way of course!)

I wound up getting the very last black sapphire pearl color they had on the lot. So I'm stoked about that! It's premium with Nav and Ill be having the remote start and the rear dvd packages installed as well. Black interior which I think looks great with the exterior color. Wound up paying 49K so with the other stuff I added on and taxes and what not, I think that seemed good and in line with what I see alot of people posting here.

I'm so amped up I could barely sleep last night! I can officially be a part of the club here! hehehe

RXSF- It was dark when we were there last night so I didn't get a good look at the color. But from what they told me, theres hardly any difference between that and Obsidian. The stargazer just has some shiny specs to make it pop more.

Thanks for all the replies. Everyone's so nice here
Old 10-01-10 | 08:29 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Congrats! Post some pictures when you can.

Quick Reply: Pricing/haggling help needed!