RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Can I download music to my audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 02:12 PM
watch37
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I download music to my audio system?

Okay, you can tell that I don't know much about music files (beyond sticking a CD into the slot). Is there a harddrive on the 2010 RX that I can download music from itunes onto? I believe some brands like Mercedes have that capability, but I don't believe the RX is equipped to do that. I guess the only way to hear downloaded music is to plug in an iPod. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!
Old 10-10-10, 02:19 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard drive on the RX is not for music, but you can burn a mp3 CD, it holds much more music then a standard CD.
Old 10-10-10, 02:44 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont know why Lexus moved all their navigations to hard drive based and still didnt allow space for ripping music into it. Even much lower tiered brands offer this.
Old 10-10-10, 04:47 PM
CliffV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by watch37
I guess the only way to hear downloaded music is to plug in an iPod. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!
You can also plug in a USB thumb drive. I went that route since it is simpler than an iPod.

The only drawback to using a thumb drive is that each folder can only hold 255 songs.
Old 10-15-10, 05:12 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with RXSF. Frustrating!
Do you think they may offer a new hard drive with this capability and backward compatability at some time in the future?
Old 10-15-10, 08:09 AM
watch37
Driver

thanks for the responses. I downloaded the songs from Amazon in MP3 format onto a USB thumb drive, and it works great!!
Old 10-15-10, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dont know why Lexus moved all their navigations to hard drive based and still didnt allow space for ripping music into it. Even much lower tiered brands offer this.
i think it has something to do with gen6 systems

on gen5, ls460 is hdd base and it does have the option to allow people to rip music to hdd, but since 2010 with gen6, feature is gone

though i have to say, if they allow people to just copy songs over from mp3 files / cds, great. but they limited it so that you can only rip songs from audio cd format, that made it quite painful
Old 10-15-10, 10:10 AM
RXSF

but the RX overseas in europe with the gen6 nav has this capability. They seem to have taken it out for NA
Old 10-15-10, 11:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

but the RX overseas in europe with the gen6 nav has this capability. They seem to have taken it out for NA
oh really?! are you serious?! gosh, in that case this is total BS
Old 10-15-10, 12:00 PM
RXSF

took me forever to find a picture

it can store up to 10gb of CD or DVD content (available only on ML systems)
Old 10-15-10, 01:16 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffV
You can also plug in a USB thumb drive. I went that route since it is simpler than an iPod.

The only drawback to using a thumb drive is that each folder can only hold 255 songs.
But it works well, and the folders are selectable from the radio display. IIRC, the songs need to be converted from apple proprietary format to mp3. After that, the playlist can be dragged directly from iTunes to the thumb drive folder.
Old 10-15-10, 01:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I'll stick with the iPod. It takes about 15 minutes to download one CD to the HD in my mom's MKS. Maybe setting up a Mac Mini would be better. My old installer put them in a few party buses for video and music. Could be sweet with ML.

I better quit while I'm ahead. I told myself no crazy modding on the 450h
Old 10-15-10, 06:44 PM
CliffV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
But it works well, and the folders are selectable from the radio display. IIRC, the songs need to be converted from apple proprietary format to mp3. After that, the playlist can be dragged directly from iTunes to the thumb drive folder.
Yes, the USB thumb drive works well.

I thought I could have one folder per play list. But with a 255 file limit per folder, I had to change that plan. Instead I have multiple folders per playlist. So for my "Poker" playlist, I have folders named Poker1, Poker2, Poker3, etc on the thumb drive.

Within the folders, I name the files <Title>-<Artist>. Alphabetizing first by title provides better randomization than alphabetizing first by artist.

I use MediaMonkey to convert from apple lossless (ripped from CD) to mp3.
Old 10-17-10, 06:24 AM
BlueSurf
Rookie

If you go to ebay you can purchase on of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Geek-Squad-GS-8G...item230adf70eb

I bought 2 USB drives. They are very cheap and work excellent. What you do is plug on your personal computer, right click and create new folders. make about 8-10 name each one like...Music, Music I, Music II etc. ( or they type of music in the folder..country etc.)
open your i tunes or media center and drag the music into the folders. Don't put more that 255 mp3 files in a folder. After you fill your folders on desktop, insert your USB, open it and drag and drop your new music folders on to it. You can insert the sub in your Lexus and turn on the radio, click USB. If at first it doesn't recognize it while the radio is on with USB selected, withdraw the use from the slot and reenter it. you may have to do this once or twice, however the system will see it and would will be amazed that all files folders, names, artists are visible to be seen and selected.
Old 10-17-10, 03:29 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

took me forever to find a picture

it can store up to 10gb of CD or DVD content (available only on ML systems)
I have the ML system and no where can I find access to the HDD. Maybe they stopped doing it.

Quick Reply: Can I download music to my audio system?