RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 350 Sport Suspension w/ VDIM

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 11:25 PM
kona44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 350 Sport Suspension w/ VDIM

Planning for a 2011 RX 350 AWD. Is the sport suspension option worth it? I don't see much about it at dealers or forums. Is the ride too stiff? I really want the VDIM software, but does it only come with the Sport's package or can be ordered stand alone? Regards
Old 10-25-10, 12:38 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

VDIM only comes with the sports package or the hybrid. Some people here have the sports package, so they can chime in on the ride. My understanding is that its not a huge improvement, but the car becomes "on par" with other SUVs in the segment like the ML
Old 10-25-10, 03:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Hi kona and welcome to CL.

I like my 450h with the sport package. The steering is firm and precise. I'm sure the larger tire plays into it as well. The ride is maybe a little more bumpy but then again I'm not into mushy soft. It's a little hard to explain after coming out of a 330 with the performance package. I'm used to it. Johnny and Sandi K have 350s with the sport package so maybe they can provide better insight.

The best thing to do is drive an RX with and without the sport package. Unfortunately it might be hard to find both. Sandi waited 5-6 months for hers, me 4 months. It's not a popular option. Good luck.
Old 10-25-10, 06:28 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

I tried to get it on my '09 but dealer said it would takes months & not really worth the wait or price. I do like my '09 without it and seeing its not a sports car what the heck.
Old 10-25-10, 01:29 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I drove the RX without and the one with the Sport suspension. I doubt the Sport suspension affects the "firmness" of the ride; most of that comes from tires, potentially the most significant game-changer of all when comparing rides. The 19 inch tire upgrade effect is noticeable, but the change is not that dramatic in this instance. Generally, "stiffness" increases with tires that have a narrower profile. VDIM on the other hand links various electromechanical features and makes them work together:

Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management

VDIM will apply various stability and safety systems – such as Anti-Lock brakes (ABS), Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), Traction Control (TRC), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Electric Power Steering (EPS) – to varying degrees. This achieves an optimum that could not be found if each application worked independently.
The interaction of these features is subtle indeed, and the only time you may feel them all working together is when your car's stability is compromised, such as going in to a skid (wet or icy), entering a poorly designed curve, when sudden braking is used to avoid a crash (and control is pushed to its limits), when your car goes off the shoulder in an emergency maneuver, or any combination of these or other problems. Is it worth it? Well, if you look at it as insurance (which is like betting on the future), then it may well be.

Most probably buy the RX because it is a very well designed vehicle that stands out from the rest, and Lexus offers options that give the buyer some extra protection should things go wrong in abnormal driving conditions. VDIM is one of those options.

The following link is from Lexus Bahrain. Their cars are packaged differently than ours in North America, but the technology available is the same.

Lexus Technology Explorer

Last edited by Johnny; 10-26-10 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Typos & Grammar
Old 10-25-10, 01:56 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Another interesting point I recall is VDIM can be turned off with the sport package. Still haven't figured out how but I'll keep it on. I was just fine this past winter during some nasty storms. Didn't bother with the snow mode and made it up and down hills without a problem. The technology is pretty amazing.
Old 10-25-10, 03:54 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

It cant just be from the tires, because you can get the regular RX with the same 19" tires from the sports package. that means the cars would be identical in feeling and the only thing you would gain from the package is VDIM (and gun metal finish)?
Old 10-25-10, 04:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Don't forget the sport-tuned suspension too. No air though.

Compared to the 2nd gen and this is probably the best way I can describe it, the steering wheel almost feels bigger. Turns are a little harder to do. I didn't think the tires could make that much of a difference but they do. One surprise going bigger, the ride is actually better than the performance package.
Old 10-27-10, 10:29 PM
kona44
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 350 Sport Suspension w/ VDIM

Originally Posted by kona44
Planning for a 2011 RX 350 AWD. Is the sport suspension option worth it? I don't see much about it at dealers or forums. Is the ride too stiff? I really want the VDIM software, but does it only come with the Sport's package or can be ordered stand alone? Regards

Thanks everybody for the replies. While I'm waiting for any sign of a RX with VDIM, new or used, I will test drive a 2010 RX with 19" wheels. This should give me some kind of steering/road sensations; at which, I should have a better idea if I want to special order a 2011 RX with S/S. I'm not in a hurry, but for the life of me, I don't understand why the VDIM software can't be added as a stand alone option, regardless of the Sport Suspension. This option seems to make all the other standard safety features work better; why wouldn't Lexus want this?

Regards
Old 10-29-10, 11:02 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As Anita said, I have the sport suspension.

I special ordered mine in mid-June, and got it in late November 2009 - so a 5+ month wait!

When I first brought it home, I was worried - my DH, who had spinal surgery in 2005, said it felt harsh to him.

I called my dealer to ask what it would take if I decided to "un sport" the car. His response was that it was springs, and shocks, and struts, in addition to the 19" tires.

In the end, we left it as-is - I decided spending $2K on a brand new car was crazy. And I've been VERY happy with it.

It corners REALLY well, with very little wallow or body roll. It handles crisply, with very little slop or tilt.

It definitely rides more harshly than the standard RX350. But we can handle that. The SF Bay Area roads are HORRIFIC. So it's likely that your roads would be better.

I'm very happy with it, overall. I got a lot more of a comfy ride than my former ride, and enough of a sport experience to not be unhappy with a "squishier" care than I had....

The dealer staff had never experienced an RX with the sport suspension. And I was told that they liked it too.

Sandi