RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Daylight Running Light Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 07:25 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Daylight Running Light Change

Forgive my ignorance and I'm sure you don't need this photo, but it will help me.

The arrow points at the daylight running light and it is too yellow for my tastes and I would like to replace it with something slightly blue.

Does this involve only changing the lamp or is there a ballast involved? Will there be an impact on night driving?

If a matter of changing a lamp only, what would be an example manufacturer and part number?

Thanks for helping a noob!
Old 10-25-10, 07:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am not sure if there are good simple easy solution. that's high beam bulb running at 50% power. that's why it's yellow. factory spec for that is 9005 50-55w i believe. so unless you put something like 80-100w, so in DRL mode it's at 40-50w, i am not sure if you will get something "blue". but then at that point, it sounds pretty dangerous in terms of power consumption (DRL on most of the time during the day, and when high beam, it's way out of spec)
Old 10-25-10, 07:48 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
i am not sure if there are good simple easy solution. that's high beam bulb running at 50% power. that's why it's yellow. factory spec for that is 9005 50-55w i believe. so unless you put something like 80-100w, so in DRL mode it's at 40-50w, i am not sure if you will get something "blue". but then at that point, it sounds pretty dangerous in terms of power consumption (DRL on most of the time during the day, and when high beam, it's way out of spec)
Let me see if I understand. The OEM lamp max'es out at 50-55w while in high beam mode and in DRL mode it's running at 25-27.5w and hence is yellowish. In order to be blue in DRL mode, the lamp must be 80-100w. Therefore, this high wattage lamp (in high beam mode and maybe DRL mode) could lead to error codes, blown fuses and possibly scorched lamp enclosures.

No mention of a ballast - not needed in this instance?

Thanks for your interest.
Old 10-25-10, 08:09 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That 9005 bulb is simply a halogen bulb, so no ballast needed (it's not HID). The danger in having a too high wattage bulb is the possibility of melting your wire harness, and if you you have your high beams on often, they'll make a lot of heat and surely is not good for your headlight housing

I would also suggest that you not base your "blue-ness" on the Wattage of the bulb. A higher Watt bulb does not necessarily mean it produces more light, it just means it uses more energy. Watt is not a measure of light output, Lumens is.
Old 10-25-10, 08:23 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
That 9005 bulb is simply a halogen bulb, so no ballast needed (it's not HID). The danger in having a too high wattage bulb is the possibility of melting your wire harness, and if you you have your high beams on often, they'll make a lot of heat and surely is not good for your headlight housing

I would also suggest that you not base your "blue-ness" on the Wattage of the bulb. A higher Watt bulb does not necessarily mean it produces more light, it just means it uses more energy. Watt is not a measure of light output, Lumens is.
Please bear with me...
Is there a bulb available with a bluish tint in the glass/quartz of the bulb of similar wattage and similar lumens to OEM that I can use to replace my yellowish DRLs? As it sounds like a wattage change is not the proper way to attempt this.

I really like the blue theme of the 450h and those yellow DRLs don't cut it.
Old 10-25-10, 08:54 PM
E12ic46
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't use your highbeams, change it to a LED bulb and problem solved.
Old 10-25-10, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Please bear with me...
Is there a bulb available with a bluish tint in the glass/quartz of the bulb of similar wattage and similar lumens to OEM that I can use to replace my yellowish DRLs? As it sounds like a wattage change is not the proper way to attempt this.

I really like the blue theme of the 450h and those yellow DRLs don't cut it.
the problem with blue bulb is, they light up white/blue when full power, but at 50% of the power, it will still be quite yellowish. people tried it before already, i haven't seen a decent solution in person yet.

and with led, the problem is that led is an on/off device, when running at half power, the led might flicker or maybe not even light up. you will need some other modules together if you want to replace it with leds
Old 10-26-10, 05:07 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

David, my DRLs were changed out along with the fogs because the yellow was driving me crazy too. Litech super whites were used for the DRLs. The bulb is blue when off, less yellow during the day and super bright white on high beams. Don't forget to change the parking lights. They are the same ugly color. Everything is cheap and easy to replace. Only the fogs needed ballasts. They're 6K now. All the work was done by an installer.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...he-rx450h.html
Old 10-26-10, 05:08 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Got it!

Thanks all for the clarifications.
Old 12-26-10, 07:33 AM
TR3XX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cwd
My RX have the bi-xenon lights, does anybody know if I can change the DRL to LED? My high beam is in the HID so I should be fine right?

Thanks
Yes, I have bi-xenon as well and changed my DRL to 9005 LEDs.
Old 12-26-10, 07:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TR3XX
Yes, I have bi-xenon as well and changed my DRL to 9005 LEDs.
Tran,do you have high beams using the LEDs?
If so,what LEDs did you use?

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-26-10 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-26-10, 09:44 AM
TR3XX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Tran,do you have high beams using the LEDs?
If so,what LEDs did you use?
No, my high beams are coming from the same projectors as my regular beam. My DRL are strictly DRL.

Originally Posted by cwd
Doesnt the 9005 DRL run in a reduced voltage mode for DRL operation? If so, will the LEDs run in a reduced voltage mode with no problem? Does the LED run dimmer than normal in that mode? How many LED did you have in your 9005 LED bulb?

Sorry for all the question
I'm not really sure about the voltage and what not. These are the LEDs I'm using for my DRL.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...22474-1-2.html

Here are some pics of what they look like:

Old 12-26-10, 10:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

No, my high beams are coming from the same projectors as my regular beam. My DRL are strictly DRL.

I'm not really sure about the voltage and what not. These are the LEDs I'm using for my DRL.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...22474-1-2.html
Yeah,we have bi-xenons.

I have the H11 28 5K LEDs in my fogs and they're brighter than my HIDs but look nice..
Did you go with any module or relay like mentioned by VLEDs?

"These bulbs are intended for use as a Day Time Running light or for aesthetic purposes only. They are a great match for HID headlights but not intended to be used as a primary source of light. Do not use this bulb directly with our DRL module it may cause issues with some Lexus vehicles. Use one 9005_DRL_MODULE and one HID_RELAY_HARNESS"

I'm thinking of going with the ones you bought or these.I emailed VLEDs and asked if the LEDs are plug and play or are relays and modules needed.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...69956-1-2.html

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-26-10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-26-10, 10:17 AM
TR3XX
Pole Position

I didn't use any relays or modules. Just plug and pray. Let me know if you try out those out, I'd like to see how they look. I'm also using the H11 28 5K you recommended as fogs and they look sweet!
Old 12-26-10, 10:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't use any relays or modules. Just plug and pray. Let me know if you try out those out, I'd like to see how they look. I'm also using the H11 28 5K you recommended as fogs and they look sweet!
I love them too.
Are the DRL's LEDs as bright as the fogs LEDs?
I'm afraid they would be too bright for DRLs.
They don't look as nearly as bright as the fogs,probably because of the half power.
Probably don't need any relay or modules.

I did email them though just to make sure.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-26-10 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Daylight Running Light Change