RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear seat turn down

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 10:00 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear seat turn down

Using the handles in the cargo area to turn down the rear seats, I find that the onw behind the driver's seat goes down perfectly, but the other just goes down partially. It is the larger of the two because it carries the center piece, but I would still expect both to fold down completely. There are no obstructions, including the rear seat belts. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it "normal"?
Old 10-27-10, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

have you checked the seat belt buckle? sometimes it's not fully in place (should not stick out) and that will block the seat when folding down
Old 10-27-10, 11:11 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

my understanding is that the levers are just easy ways to release the seats, not necessarily to have them fold down in place. If Im wrong, that it is probably the fact that it is a bigger piece so needs more pull.
Old 10-30-10, 06:35 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

romini, I did be sure the belts and the belt buckles were not the problem.
rxsf, perhaps you are correct. I'll check with the dealer the next time I bring it in. Of course, when I was originally shopping, I was told the cargo area handles were there to allow the seats to fold down without having to shuffle around to the rear doors to do it.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 10-31-10, 12:06 PM
k9shelly1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggy1
romini, I did be sure the belts and the belt buckles were not the problem.
rxsf, perhaps you are correct. I'll check with the dealer the next time I bring it in. Of course, when I was originally shopping, I was told the cargo area handles were there to allow the seats to fold down without having to shuffle around to the rear doors to do it.

Thanks for your replies.
I noticed this when I picked ours up yesterday. When he salesman was demonstrating the handles the larger portion of the rear seat didn't go down all the way. All it took was a little push but he had to go around to the rear door. Kinda defeated the purpose of the rear handles.

Anyway, it doesn't take anything away for me. The car has everything we were looking for. Great vehicle.
Old 11-02-10, 07:01 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

k9shelly1, enjoy your new vehicle. Regarding the seats, it's just a minor frustration because I was led to believe both would fold down completely, but it's better than nothing. Just used it this morning putting a rake in the car. I just put down the smaller seat and it worked perfectly.
Old 08-19-11, 01:42 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

I originally posted this in Jan of this year. Since then, I had it to the dealer where on the first visit they said that there might be something wrong, but would need some time to work on it. they suggested i come back when I had more time and they would provide a courtesy vehicle. I returned, got the paper work set up for the courtesy car, and then found out they finished their analysis and decided they would have to replace the rear seat. However, there was none in the country (premium leather) and they had no idea when it would come in. It finally did, and they offered to drive to my home, give me a courtesy vehicle while they drove mine back to the dealer for replacement of the rear seat. That was great because I live 60-70 miles from lthe dealer. They did so, and I got my RX back the next day and the new seats fold down completely using the cargo bay handles. Just wanted to let everyone know they do indeed work the way I expected.
Old 08-19-11, 02:10 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, what service. I'm 40 miles from dealership. Unlikely they would be as generous as yours. The loaner would be available, if I drove to them.

Glad they fixed it. I was just gonna say clean between the seats with a good leather product so they would slip over each other better. Your solution was much better!!
Old 08-19-11, 07:19 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Just tried mine and they all fold down completely.
Old 08-20-11, 04:33 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Using the handles in the cargo area to turn down the rear seats, I find that the onw behind the driver's seat goes down perfectly, but the other just goes down partially. It is the larger of the two because it carries the center piece, but I would still expect both to fold down completely. There are no obstructions, including the rear seat belts. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it "normal"?
Like some others, mine fold down completely. I think your issue isn't a problem but just how the rear seats are adjusted. In the RX, they can not only recline, but slide forward and back slightly.

Try sliding both of them forward then lay the seat backs down. Then back and reverse the procedure. I bet you see a difference.
Old 08-23-11, 05:47 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

DunWkg, I was impressed with the service. I think they were a little embarassed about telling me to come back in the second time to just look at it and say they had to order a new seat. But, I'm delighted now and also get a bonus of new car leather smell again!

Cruiter, what you say is interesting. Like I mentioned, my problem is resolved, but I,m going to try it from a few different positions. Getting ready for a trip with the back jammed with goodies for grandkids (assuming no hurricane), so a good time to try.
Old 08-23-11, 07:57 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I'll have to check mine to make sure it works now. I haven't tried since I bought it.

ziggy, glad you had a happy ending. Enjoy the leather smell and let's hope the hurricane goes out to sea.
Old 08-24-11, 07:40 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

kitlz, thanks, but I think mother nature has it in for me and my trip - as a prelude to the hurricane we had a 5.9 earthquake with numerous smaller aftershocks. I think I used up all my good luck credits with the seat experience, and now I get to pay for it
Old 08-24-11, 07:54 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Glad they fixed it. I was just gonna say clean between the seats with a good leather product so they would slip over each other better. Your solution was much better!!
what I was going to recommend.

it’s a larger mass so it has little more resistance but cleaner makes it little more slippery around the bottom part where it "rubs" and with regular usage it folds completely without any issue for me.
Old 08-24-11, 09:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

kitlz, thanks, but I think mother nature has it in for me and my trip - as a prelude to the hurricane we had a 5.9 earthquake with numerous smaller aftershocks. I think I used up all my good luck credits with the seat experience, and now I get to pay for it
ziggy, I felt the earthquake up here but not as strong. So don't take it personally. Get out of Dodge while you can. Be safe and enjoy your trip. Hopefully it's far away from earthquakes, hurricanes and other natural disasters

Quick Reply: Rear seat turn down