RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Radar Detector Stealth Cord

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 03:09 PM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detector Stealth Cord

I have a V1 detector and am looking to hardwire the unit. I've use the hardwire kit and spliced wires in previous cars, but i've found a stealth cord method is more practical (no splicing). You can read more about it at stealthcords dot com.

I actually made my own with phone cord and computer pins i picked up from Fry's along with heat shrink wraps. Unfortunately, they do not have instructions for Lexus.

My question is, has anyone determined which wire that powers the rear view mirror is the switched hot and ground wires. I don't have a volt meter anymore and was hoping someone could help me out. Also, is the power plug for the mirror nicely concealed in plastic or just out in the open behind the mirror. If it's concealed, has there been a write up on how to get to the wiring for the mirror or center roof control area?

TIA.
Old 10-29-10, 04:17 PM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your private messages, I'm not sure if we are allowed to post a link here.
Old 10-29-10, 04:42 PM
BlueSurf
Rookie

I set up my V1 to the left of the rear-view mirror where the window has the shaded dots. I used the suction that came with the unit and it works perfect. The unit isn't noticeable from outside the car. Since my side windows are tinted you couldn't see the unit if you wanted to. I didn't use a hard wire system. I purchased from radio shack a black 8' telephone chord with the modular ends. Snap the end in your radar unit and take the telephone line and tuck it under where the headliner meets the windshield. You can do this right across the window and down the rubber seal on the passenger side. I ran the wire under the dash and then tucked the wire under the center console where it meets the carpet. I tucked it all the way to the rear then I brought the wire up into the rear of the storage compartment. I connected the socket-plug end on it and plugged it into the lower socket. No one would ever tell the difference between hard wiring and this method. It sounds difficult, however its very easy. Also you have reduced any chances of causing electrical faults and problems.
Did you know that Lexus can void the automobile warranty if it was not installed by the dealer. If you read the warranty it's called "Alteration or tampering" Installing extras like HID, alarms, etc. can become an issue later on in the cars life. If you go with the hard wiring be very careful, the wrong wire can cause fuse shorts, battery drainage, and damage to components. I know this because I did this is one of my cars a few years a go. I learned the hard way. good luck what ever you do.
Old 10-29-10, 04:54 PM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlueSurf
I set up my V1 to the left of the rear-view mirror where the window has the shaded dots. I used the suction that came with the unit and it works perfect. The unit isn't noticeable from outside the car. Since my side windows are tinted you couldn't see the unit if you wanted to. I didn't use a hard wire system. I purchased from radio shack a black 8' telephone chord with the modular ends. Snap the end in your radar unit and take the telephone line and tuck it under where the headliner meets the windshield. You can do this right across the window and down the rubber seal on the passenger side. I ran the wire under the dash and then tucked the wire under the center console where it meets the carpet. I tucked it all the way to the rear then I brought the wire up into the rear of the storage compartment. I connected the socket-plug end on it and plugged it into the lower socket. No one would ever tell the difference between hard wiring and this method. It sounds difficult, however its very easy. Also you have reduced any chances of causing electrical faults and problems.
Did you know that Lexus can void the automobile warranty if it was not installed by the dealer. If you read the warranty it's called "Alteration or tampering" Installing extras like HID, alarms, etc. can become an issue later on in the cars life. If you go with the hard wiring be very careful, the wrong wire can cause fuse shorts, battery drainage, and damage to components. I know this because I did this is one of my cars a few years a go. I learned the hard way. good luck what ever you do.
thanks. it's specifically because of the warranty issue that i don't want to splice and would rather use the stealth cable or invisicord method where pins are used and no alterations are done.

i got the pm and will be checking it out. if i can get it working, i'll post pics.