RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

gps vs no gps

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 01:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

No you didn't. You're just as bad as the biyatch!
Old 11-01-10, 02:18 PM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yahj
"pardon'" lol
it's what I get from the voice command lady lol
Old 11-01-10, 03:59 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tkman00
elaborate please
I'm a practical and literal person. I believe that instructions on a complicated subject must have been written by the engineer that designed it. Maybe that comes from my military training or I developed it on my own, but I've been called taking things 'too literally' for as long as I can remember.

Anyway, like most folk, I jumped right in thinking I'd figure it out and had the same problems as many of you. I reverted to the dreaded book as thick as the 'Health Care' bill. So sitting in my driveway with the car on and the book open in my hands, I actually 'tried' a few suggestions. I spoke slower (a chore for me), as clearly as possible (for a GA Redneck), and angled my voice toward the mic (above the mirror). I gave it the 'destination' command and answered all the city, street, street # questions and it spit out a route. I picked another one talking the same way. No problem. So I picked another one, talking in my usual fashion (fast, toward the w/s and with accent {they don't program redneck speak in Japan) and I could have sworn it said 'HUH ??? I'm not changing to an English professor but it works for me now.

A word of warning tho. Less than two weeks after I got it we made a breakin trip to FL with my wife and her best friend Ronda. We stayed with some friends that had a B&B in Green Cove Springs and took them all out to dinner. After dinner and on the way back to the Inn I was showing off the NAV (bad move after a pitcher of beer and still green with product knowledge). I didn't have the phone correctly paired and was trying to call someone back here in Georgia to show it off. I kept saying "Call Bob W". I don't remember what the NAV lady's response was but she kept asking for something I'd already done and I finally yelled "Shut up biyatch (thank you Anita for the spelling)". The car got colder then the AC was ever able to make it. Later my wife's friend Ronda slipped a note under the door to 'never call her a biyatch again. She had been offering suggestions and thought I was yelling at her . It took the next two days to thaw out the atmosphere.

But aside from all that, the system does work, I know 'cause if it works for me, it'll do it for you. Just spend some time in your driveway with some patience and the book. The time you spend will reward you.

Elaborating over

Old 11-01-10, 06:16 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

I have a 450h without the GPS/NAV, and it comes with basic LCD display which looks fine (probably less distracting too). The Blutooth pairing with my (Palm Pre) smartphone works great, and you can dial by name or number, though I usually just use one of the six presets. I mounted a Garmin GPS to the front/left of the LCD, and the frequent (and relatively inexpensive) updates ensures I have the latest road info and POI's available. See thread here for more details and pics...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...th-no-nav.html

Originally Posted by ziggyziggy
I am wondering if the $3000 GPS option is worth it. What can you do with the GPS that you cannot without the GPS besides the obvious. I have an Android phone and there is no way any car GPS can beat Google maps and navigation and i hardly even use that on my phone. i dont care about voice activation but i would like to be able to pair my phone with the car so i can chat with people by speaking into the air and hear then thru the stereo speakers. can i be happy without the GPS? also how cheap does the display look without the GPS? thanks.
Old 11-01-10, 06:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Jim, don't lie. I'm sure you're getting Nav Lady inebriated with your charm because I swear she doesn't like women. Look what happened when you had other women in your RX

Getting back to topic, IMO getting the RX with nav is worth it especially for resale value. More features and toys to play with too.
Old 11-01-10, 07:20 PM
flystone
Rookie

for those of you w/ navi, what screen page do you usually have the system fix on when you are driving?
I find it kinda annoying that I can only have either the main menu, navi map or display off to look at...(all the other settings screen are pretty ugly)
Really wish they would give us a better radio screen page to look at..
Old 11-01-10, 07:27 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't really used the voice commands as the car doesn't seem to like my voice! I learned from the Lexus service if you push the call button on the steering wheel then the voice and say Dial ______ it will work. Don't remember seeing that in the book. I've looked at the dvd and used the Enform clips on my iPhone. But, I love being able to change all the settings that used to be done by the dealer. When I had the loaner I found all the things were in different places because there wasn't navigation and I didn't like the tiny backup in the mirror.
Old 11-02-10, 11:38 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

nav is great with hud
Old 11-03-10, 06:18 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody has the HUD? Is it worth it? Almost no dealer has a vehicle on the lot with it and has to be custom ordered, therefore not much negotiation on the price...
Old 11-03-10, 06:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggyziggy
anybody has the HUD? Is it worth it? Almost no dealer has a vehicle on the lot with it and has to be custom ordered, therefore not much negotiation on the price...
Nice option but I believe it's only available on a RX450h.
The $2465 NAV pkg you question if worth it is worth more than the $1200 HUD option,IMO.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-03-10 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-03-10, 08:03 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice option but I believe it's only available on a RX450h.
The $2465 NAV pkg you question if worth it is worth more than the $1200 HUD option,IMO.
It's available on both models. That being said, I have one of the 1st month production models of the 2010 RX450h and it has the NAV package. Now that they've been out for a while and I've seen and played with the other features, when I do it again (and I will), I'll have the AWDw/hitch and the premium package w/HUD.

The reason for the AWD and hitch will be to have a device that mounts to it (Segvator) and will carry my Segway w/o having to load it inside.
Old 11-03-10, 08:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It's available on both models. .
Jim,the HUD option along with Pre-Collision System w/Dynamic Radar Cruise Control,LED Headlamps are options only available on the 450h.
Old 11-03-10, 08:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

HUD is nice. So is ML And I got a discount on my special order.
Old 11-03-10, 08:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Anita,how do you like the Pre-Collision/Dynamic Laser Cruise option?
Old 11-03-10, 11:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Laser cruise control is pretty useless around here with all the congestion. The range is far even on the shortest setting. But with fewer cars it basically makes it nothing more than glorified cruise control. Now if it worked under 30 MPH like on MB, more like an accident avoidance system, that would be nice. Pre-collision, well, let's just hope I don't need it. At least it's there if I do. Safety first and foremost. There's so many idiots on the road

Quick Reply: gps vs no gps