RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

gps vs no gps

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 11:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Laser cruise control is pretty useless around here with all the congestion. The range is far even on the shortest setting. But with fewer cars it basically makes it nothing more than glorified cruise control. Now if it worked under 30 MPH like on MB, more like an accident avoidance system, that would be nice. Pre-collision, well, let's just hope I don't need it. At least it's there if I do. Safety first and foremost. There's so many idiots on the road
I appreciate your honesty on the option,Anita.
Yes,the MB system is nice.
I feel the RX should have that Lane Departure Warning System that much cheaper vehicles have.Also a nice feature.
Old 11-03-10, 12:54 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Jim,the HUD option along with Pre-Collision System w/Dynamic Radar Cruise Control,LED Headlamps are options only available on the 450h.
Joe
According to the website on the RX 350 page, it's available as a separate option. I didn't see it with a package though.
Heads-up Display
Interior Technologies
$1,200 [39] $1,200 [39]
Old 11-03-10, 01:21 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Joe
According to the website on the RX 350 page, it's available as a separate option. I didn't see it with a package though.
Heads-up Display
Interior Technologies
$1,200 [39] $1,200 [39]
You're right,Jim.
Very odd,though.
Might be a special order thing.

I've never seen or heard of the HUD option in a 350 along with the LED Headlamps and the Laser cruise control options but truecar has those options available on a 350..
I just did a build with my zip on a '11 450h and the Laser cruise control,LEDs and HUD weren't listed anywhere.

I checked Lexus site and HUD like you posted,isn't in any package.
It's somehow in the Select accessories page.Like a dealer installed item which can't be.

Select Accessories
Towing equipment - tow-hitch receiver [1] $650[2]
Paint protection film [3] $429[2]
Roof rack - cross bars [4] $259[2]
19-inch seven-spoke aluminum alloy wheels [5] $660[2]
Wheel locks $81[2]
Heads-up Display $1,200[2]
Heated front seats $640[2]
Remote engine starter [6] $375[2]
Glass breakage sensor $205[2]
Carpet cargo mat $92[2]
Cargo net - envelope $59[2]
Ashtray $26[2]
Cargo net - spider $49[2]

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-03-10 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-03-10, 03:25 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Joeb, what was the bottom line price for your build? I know they do a little mixing of packages and options. As for me, I started from the ground up, first selecting the packages I wanted and adding all the goodies a la carte after doing my research. My sales guy was running out of room on the order form Since I went with LEDs, the cost of the bi-xenons was deducted from the comfort package. I think it was around $600-800. I also had him take off a few bucks from the accessory package for the all weather floor mats that were not available back then. The experience was pretty scary. I was worried until the order was accepted and then wondering if Lexus would change anything on me. Fortunately all turned out well. I'd do it all over again.
Old 11-03-10, 03:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Joeb, what was the bottom line price for your build? I know they do a little mixing of packages and options. As for me, I started from the ground up, first selecting the packages I wanted and adding all the goodies a la carte after doing my research. My sales guy was running out of room on the order form Since I went with LEDs, the cost of the bi-xenons was deducted from the comfort package. I think it was around $600-800. I also had him take off a few bucks from the accessory package for the all weather floor mats that were not available back then. The experience was pretty scary. I was worried until the order was accepted and then wondering if Lexus would change anything on me. Fortunately all turned out well. I'd do it all over again.

I did a work up on an '11 in our area and there's only a package A for $3,958 and Package B for $7,383 NAV etc.

Nice getting a vehicle exactly the way you want it.No doubt,worth the wait.
Old 11-03-10, 03:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Joeb, that's all they cost? Last year the top of the line package out of two available around here with nav and the entertainment system was $12K. It definitely wasn't for me.
Old 11-03-10, 03:48 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Joeb, that's all they cost? Last year the top of the line package out of two available around here with nav and the entertainment system was $12K. It definitely wasn't for me.
The Lexus site for the '11's is different than it was building the 10's.
Check it out and build a RX.

After the two packages,the accessories here are the only other options.

Towing equipment - tow-hitch receiver [1] $650[2]
Paint protection film [3] $429[2]
Roof rack - cross bars [4] $259[2]
19-inch seven-spoke aluminum alloy wheels [5] $660[2]
Wheel locks $81[2]
Heads-up Display $1,200[2]
Heated front seats $640[2]
Remote engine starter [6] $375[2]
Glass breakage sensor $205[2]
Carpet cargo mat $92[2]
Cargo net - envelope $59[2]
Ashtray $26[2]
Cargo net - spider
Old 11-03-10, 05:01 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Joeb, I tried to build my own 450h and chose the accessories that I have minus the sport package, LEDs, HUD, ML, pre-collision and laser cruise control. Less color options and mandatory interior colors. Bottom line, going special order route is much better for that price

Last edited by kitlz; 11-03-10 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-03-10, 05:41 PM
k9shelly1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Nav is something that is left to the individual. I went with it because of many reasons listed on here. When I think luxery the car has to have the Nav. To me something is taken away other than the obvious.
Old 11-03-10, 06:33 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

^^ Agreed. Not everyone is a fan of Lexus' nav and prefer portable units. I haven't had any problems with it (knock on wood). It's even better now with the remote touch. And no more fingerprints to clean
Old 11-03-10, 09:46 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggyziggy
anybody has the HUD? Is it worth it? Almost no dealer has a vehicle on the lot with it and has to be custom ordered, therefore not much negotiation on the price...
imho, hud is worth it. it's great to hear the navi tell you when to turn and you get to keep your eye on the road (no need to look at the navi screen). the hud will automatically display turn arrows, and you know exactly where to turn. it's really useful. that is something that a portable gps can't provide you.
Old 11-03-10, 10:58 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 450h on order right now and they think it will be in next month. My wife only has center vison in her left eye so the Heads Up Display with the nav was a must also the Luxury Package was added for the Wide-view Side Monitor for more visibility to park the car. When they put the order in they had to put in LED lights could not get HIDs and the Luxury Package in the 450h.

Matador Red Mica
Parchment
Heads Up Display
Comfort Package
Rear Seat Entertainment
Mark Levinson Audio
Luxury Package
Park Assist
Tow Prep Package
Remote Engine Start
Paint Protection Film
Cargo net, Cargo Mat & Wheel Locks
19" wheels
LED headlights
Old 11-04-10, 12:17 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Nav is a must. Sorry I didnt read through the entire thread, but the main reasons for my decision are:

Resale desire
ugly tray in place of where the remote touch would be
nav traffic and other subscription goodies
all the customizable options that are in the nav menus

I ordered an RX450h with:
Stargazer Black
Black
Head up Display
Navigation Package
Comfort Package
Luxury Package
LED headlights
Park Assist
PCS
Old 11-04-10, 08:29 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

After six months of nasty birthing pains, I've come to really like the built-in Lexus NAV.
Sure, it is way too expensive. Certainly there are gaps in coverage that should not be.
Of course any $100 Garmin gives a nice 3-D view that I miss.

All that said, having the NAV built-in, always a mouse stroke away is great. The XM Traffic service works very well so I can dodge the worst traffic jams with ease.

The screen is larger and packs more info than any Garmin I've owned. And I don't have to hide it when I park or deal with a mucked up windshield when the Garmin is in the glovebox. And I love the alcove that houses the screen. Some other Lexuses (Lexi?) have a pop-up screen that seems like an afterthought.

I don't use the voice prompts -- I'm used to keeping an eye on gauges, I'll mute the thing and keep glancing down for screen prompts.

So I've come full circle, used to despise the NAV and now I wouldn't be without it. If they want to make it more Garmin like down the road I'm all for that -- the 3-D flyover view is great -- but the Lexus NAV is good and I presume will be better with updates.

My recommendation, get the NAV being prepared to hate it for a while, then enjoy what it does well vs a portable unit.
Old 11-04-10, 08:42 AM
tkman00
Driver

i think the only thing that will bother me about the built in nav will be the price of the updates. i do however recall seeing one seller on ebay that sold updates for 80ish or so. on a lease i don't really care, but if i owned i suppose i would have some reservations about it.

Quick Reply: gps vs no gps