RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 04:45 PM
appraiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like you need to have the shop repaint and blend into adjacet panels. It does appear to be off.
Old 11-07-10, 05:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

It looks way off. Get the shop to repaint that, it's unacceptable. Sorry to see this happened
Old 11-07-10, 05:36 PM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

The shop actually painted all the panels on the passenger side... rear quarter, rear door, front door, and blended into front fender. No explanation for why the different panels are mismatched. What I do know is rear door was painted off the car, but with the same paint and at the same time. I don't know if this would make any difference.

Do you think it's possible to just repaint the rear door and blend into rear quarter and front fender? Repainting the entire passenger side is a big deal and I'm worried new things might crop up. Could this even be related to the clear coat, as the base color is the exact same for all panels???
Old 11-07-10, 05:50 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll requote what I wrote in your other thread buddy

I see holograms. Where are you located? I can give it a look and give you my opinion or send you to someone to check it out who I trust. Then they can go to the shop and chew them out for inadequate polishing

Things like this are easier to see in person rather than in pictures
Old 11-07-10, 05:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

obsidian is pure black, there is no pearl or so in it, so usually color is easier to match. i think you can try to buff or give a good polish to the rear 1/4 panel or the front door and see if things match up better. sometimes new paint have less flaw and better shine so it appears deeper look
Old 11-07-10, 06:01 PM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. What is strange is that all panels have new paint: rear quarter, rear door, front door, and front fender. They used the same paint on all panels. The only difference was that they painted the rear door off the vehicle. And that's the one that looks the best. The rear door was also painted on a brand new skin, vs. the other panels which were sanded down and repainted. Would that make a difference?
Old 11-07-10, 06:08 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Even with the same paint, the outcome is dependent on what lies underneath the paint. Pure shoddy job, have them redo this, otherwise contact your insurance company.
Old 11-07-10, 06:22 PM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Pearlpower. I agree with what you said about what lies underneath the paint. They were actually doing a re-do of a shoddy job ANOTHER shop did. They stripped the rear quarter and front door to the metal and put new skin on the rear door. Then they painted. If they were essentially starting from nearly bare metal on all panels, why the different colors? It's a mystery that's driving me crazy. The shop is also annoyed that I'm still on their case, but they'll willing to do a re-do. I just don't want to mess with the car any more if the result ends up the same!
Old 11-07-10, 06:29 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Something does not add up if the surface prep was the same, they can feed you lip service all day long; the truth is the end result. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-07-10, 06:56 PM
tkman00
Driver

^^^ it shouldn't. if it's a matching issue, you should just have them fix it. you really shouldn't be worrying about how they messed it up.
Old 11-07-10, 07:15 PM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks tkman00, I agree. So from the pictures above, does it look to you like a color mismatch? Or am I just imagining it? The shop owner says he doesn't see it (not even in these same photos!), but he's willing to repaint if that's what I want.
Old 11-07-10, 07:20 PM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

I agree Pearlpower, something doesn't add up. But I have photos from them of the panels all stripped and looking the same. Another weird thing is the front fender is lighter too (matches the front door), but that one was not stripped, they just sanded and blended over original paint on that panel. This is one reason I think it might be related to the clear coat.
Old 11-07-10, 07:33 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

eyezack is right - you don't need two threads about the same issue.

I'm thinking that the new door skin and paint were okay, but that you may be on to something with the clear. Since it was off the car, it was likely laying horizontal as opposed to vertical. This could be the issue - it sets up differently when layed this way. This is why taking a panel off a car (like a trunk lid or hood) is important when doing a blend with a fender.

That said, it could also need a better buff and polish as I said before. This would be more with the other panels, though, not the rear door. Again, it might have been done with the panel horizontal vs. vertical.

Big Mack
Old 11-07-10, 07:45 PM
tkman00
Driver

there's a difference. i don't know if it's a color issue. if i were to guess, i would say something in the clear coat. have the owner look at it in direct sunlight, just like you have in the picture and let them fix it.
Old 11-07-10, 07:53 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Lacquer based paint on a modern car?? Did they give you a coloring book so you could try to paint by numbers, too? Ridiculous. I'd ask them if they use House of Krylon instead of House of Kolor.

I do not see a huge color difference. It may need to be polished and buffed. It may be the picture, but you need a more neutral background for the pictures, too. Any tone changes in the background will throw off the view of the picture.

Do you work for this company or something? The first company botched it, but is paying for him to get it fixed by someone who knows what they are doing. The second shop said that they would do a repaint for him since he's not happy. Doesn't sound sleazy or underhanded. Maybe a bit negligent on the part of the first one, but it sounds like they are at least trying to make it right.

Big Mack
to me bondo = bad work.

Quick Reply: RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise