RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bluetooth newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 02:34 PM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bluetooth newbie questions

I've got my DroidX connected for making calls, works great, as long as I remember to turn BT on on the DroidX.

But, why do I have to go through the Pair/Connect AGAIN after it's already done for the phone? Are these two different systems? For a newbie like me, it took me a long time to figure out the difference between pair and connect, and even more time for me to figure out the difference between "audio player" and "car". Heck, aren't the car and the Droid both audio players?

Why is it so confusing? What gives?

Is there a Lexus Bluetooth primer some where? I am a reasonably savvy techy guy, and it was not straightforward at all.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-10-10, 06:51 PM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once you paired your phone to the bt system you don't have to do it again, is your phone's bt always on? I have iphone and didn't have that problem, it even plays my songs from my phone through bt automatically.
Old 11-11-10, 05:49 AM
RVH
Driver

Bluetooth is always on in the car. I get a lot of business calls when I'm in the car and it's worked well.

The car and the DroidX work flawlessly together with Bluetooth for the phone. For the audio, I can pair it but the car and DroidX won't connect.

You say that once you did the phone/Bluetooth you didn't have to do the audio setup? Weird. I wonder why I have to.

Can anyone else help?
Old 11-11-10, 06:01 AM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a point of information:
Make sure your cell phone had the BT turned on BEFORE you start your car.
(It will always be seamless if you do this.)
If the BT is not turned on you will have to go into the setting menu and click on "connect".
Old 11-11-10, 06:45 AM
tkman00
Driver

Originally Posted by RVH
Bluetooth is always on in the car. I get a lot of business calls when I'm in the car and it's worked well.

The car and the DroidX work flawlessly together with Bluetooth for the phone. For the audio, I can pair it but the car and DroidX won't connect.

You say that once you did the phone/Bluetooth you didn't have to do the audio setup? Weird. I wonder why I have to.

Can anyone else help?
my salesman told me that you can't have both bt stream and bt phone at the same time. what i do for my iphone(s), is to have the phone connect via bt and then use usb for the audio.
Old 11-11-10, 09:09 AM
yahj
Driver

my bt on my iphone is always on once I enter the car It plays the song automatically, the song will fade away if somebody calls me, no need to audio set up

RVH if you already using your phone via bt then you don't need to pair it again to play songs

I forgot to mention that my car has no nav.
Old 11-11-10, 09:36 AM
bigeytk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tkman00
my salesman told me that you can't have both bt stream and bt phone at the same time. what i do for my iphone(s), is to have the phone connect via bt and then use usb for the audio.
I second to this. If i use my ipod via BT then the phone will drop off, but if I use my ipod via USB plug then the phone (nexus one) is connected and stays connect.

I hope that will help
Old 11-11-10, 10:22 AM
RVH
Driver

We have conflicting statements here:

my bt on my iphone is always on once I enter the car It plays the song automatically, the song will fade away if somebody calls me, no need to audio set up
and

Maybe I am not understanding your language. yahj says that he has both music/audio and phone connected at the same time. He plays music and if a call comes in, it answers the phone.

tkman00 says that you can't have both audio and phone on at the same time. I guess my question is what does "on" mean? Obviously, music will cut of when the phone rings, but they still are "on" at the same time, right?

BTW, when I connect my DroidX with the USB cable it gives me an Error 1. I can't find error codes anywhere in the manual or on the Lexus website. Anyone know what Error 1 means?

Thanks

Bob
Old 11-11-10, 10:51 AM
tkman00
Driver

Hey Bob,

yeap, my salesman told me exactly that. he says that you cannot do both. it's only one or the other. i'm not sure how yahj might have his setup.
Old 11-11-10, 03:13 PM
yahj
Driver

Originally Posted by tkman00
Hey Bob,

yeap, my salesman told me exactly that. he says that you cannot do both. it's only one or the other. i'm not sure how yahj might have his setup.
My phone is connected via BT, my radio display say "BT-A". as I enter the car the radio plays my music I don't even have to take my phone out of my pocket.

my set up (no nav)

radio mode: "BT-A "on the display, press AUX/usb till you get BT-A on the display (my ipod touch is also connected to the radio via usb.)

Iphone4g: BT always ON connected to CAR M_MEDIA (rx radio)

if you know somebody who owns an Iphone4 maybe you can try it.
Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth newbie questions-img_0271.jpg   Bluetooth newbie questions-img_0272.png  

Last edited by yahj; 11-11-10 at 04:07 PM. Reason: attached pic
Old 11-11-10, 04:31 PM
tkman00
Driver

so i just got out of my car and decided to give it a shot. clearly my salesman was mistaken, because it did in fact work. my phone was paired to the system via the phone submenu. i connected it to bt stream and that worked as well. while listening to music, i placed a call and it worked fine. perhaps the OP needs to pair it via both menus? i removed the audio pairing because i like being able to control the iphone via usb. gl.
Old 11-12-10, 12:09 PM
RVH
Driver

I am wondering if it's the DroidX versus the iPhone.

While being fully operational making and getting calls through my DroidX via BT in the car, when I go to BT-A is says "not connected". When I go through the Connect sequence it tells me that it can't connect.

I am going to try a few things including seeing if I can get my iPad to connect and play music.

Thanks

bob
Old 11-12-10, 01:09 PM
RVH
Driver

Well, I finally figured it out. The DroidX is not supported in audio mode. If you go here:

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/acces...bluetooth.html

they tell you what's compatible and what's not. Although my phone works with BT, the audio will not. Wouldn't it have been nice if they told you this in the showroom? Wouldn't it have been nice if they pointed you to this in the manual? This explains the discrepancy as to why some work and others don't.

One interesting thing, though, is that there are NO iPhones listed at all, yet, they seem to be fully compatible in both modes.

Seems weird though, BT is an industry standard and all devices that claim BT support are supposed to support it.

Thanks,

Bob

PS, the iPad paired and connected very easily and played everything

Last edited by RVH; 11-12-10 at 01:16 PM.