RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

power trunk door

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 11:44 AM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So at this point, of those who have their Rx450 rear door working on power up from the button above the license plate:

1. What year is your Rx450h?
2. Does it power up on the first push of the button or after two pushes?

I'm still one of those owners whose dealership has not been able to get it to work. Next visit will be to another dealership to see what they can do.
Old 07-28-11, 12:48 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a standard RX 350 not a 450h. However, I am certain that it works the same for both. If the vehicle doors are locked it will work one of two ways. You can push the long rectangular button once to unlock the door and then again to lift the door automatically. Or...simply push and hold the button for the door to unlock and go up. If the vehicle doors are already unlocked one push will cause the door to go up.
Old 07-28-11, 04:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuschar
So at this point, of those who have their Rx450 rear door working on power up from the button above the license plate:

1. What year is your Rx450h?
2. Does it power up on the first push of the button or after two pushes?

I'm still one of those owners whose dealership has not been able to get it to work. Next visit will be to another dealership to see what they can do.
1. 2010 with 11/09 build date
2. Actually just one push if you hold it for two seconds. It will quickly unlock all doors, then open the tailgate. The other method is one quick push to unlock doors, push again to open the tailgate. I'd say the one long push works best. If you push the button more than twice, the tailgate won't open under power.

It's not difficult to program, at least that's what the tech told me. And mine was done before it was listed as an option. Good luck.
Old 07-28-11, 07:45 PM
Tstpm
Driver School Candidate

Just bought my RX and the salesman showed me in the manual the things that the tech's could program for me on my first service at 1000 miles. I'd say look through the book and if your dealer tells you they can't do it, then I'm sure there has to be a dealer who can do it for you!
Old 07-30-11, 11:36 PM
ecub
Driver

Originally Posted by dlgreg
McGrath Lexus of Chicago was finally able to program this - on my third visit. The first two times I was told that it could not be done. On the third visit I brought a copy of a post from this thread that said where in the settings for them to find it. With that info they were able to finally set the back "soft button" to power open the hatch.
To the person that posted that information - THANK YOU!!!!!
I hope McGrath Lexus in Westmont can do this. It's a bit longer drive if I head to McGrath in Chicago, plus I don't want to deal with the traffic.

Last edited by ecub; 07-31-11 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-01-11, 12:27 PM
ecub
Driver

I just came back from my dealer, McGrath Lexus in Westmont. They were able to program it, but only on first push. I think I would rather want 2nd push or hold. I have a 2011. When I told the tech what I wanted, he pushed the rear hatch button and lifted it manually and looked at my like I was stupid. I then had to explain to him again in more detail, that I wanted it to automatically open on the 2nd push. When it was finally finished, I tested it. I then asked him again if it can be set as 2nd push. He stated that it can't be done. I may have to make a trip to Chicago to have it done right.
Old 08-01-11, 12:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
Am I right in saying that if the 1st push is unlock and 2nd is power lift, then if the car is unlock already, the 1st push would be power lift.
Short answer, yes. One quick push doors unlock, second quick push tailgate opens under power. If the doors are unlocked, like when I'm cleaning the RX and don't want to have the remote on me, I can simply push the button once to have the tailgate open. The other option is to press the button and hold for two-three seconds, all doors unlock and the tailgate opens.
Old 08-01-11, 01:07 PM
ecub
Driver

After reading the previous post, I realize I was pushing the hatch release when the doors were unlocked, so the hatch opened with power. I will have to try again later with the doors locked to see what happens.
Old 08-29-11, 12:14 PM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

Made an appointment with dealer that sold me RX350. Told them I wanted tailgate to power lift by pushing button above licence. I had been in once before to get it done and they told me it could not be done. Thanks to this thread, I told them I was not leaving until it was done. Two calls from service manager and they found out they could program it. Was at dealership about 45 minutes. They had programing the way I wanted it, they washed and vacuumed car and gave me a credit for a free oil change. Service manager was very appriciative for my information. He did not realize they could do what I wanted.

Thanks again to all that have/are posting on this forum. Great way to resolve issues.

Dave
Old 08-29-11, 02:13 PM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Still trying here to get the door to power up. Lexus of Westminster, says no. Just came back from Cerritos Lexus and after a day leaving the car there, they say it cannot be done as well. When I offered to show the service adviser (apparently an assistant service mgr) this thread, he said he did not need it because his techs know what they are doing.

When I picked up the car, it turned out they turned on the annoying repeating beeps while the door is power closing. I had this turned off before, to just two beeps. Now I have to take it back to get that corrected.

Also now a new knocking in the front end. Sounds like something is loose when slowing to a stop or accelerating from a stop. The engine is running at odd times such as waiting for the battery to run all the way down before it starts up. Before it ran on and off depending on acceleration and battery level.

Needless to say, I am frustrated about the power back door and now with new problems. It took 3 days for the guy at Cerritos to call me back after I called to let them know they turned on the beeping alert on the door. Now its been a full day after my latest call that there are more problems and he has yet to call back to schedule an appointment. Not sure if all their customers have the same level of service.
Old 08-29-11, 04:33 PM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

Hey lexuschar

I feel your frustration. What got my dealer going was I offered to give them Lexus Dealers that knew how to program it. I'm in Canada and I had also called Lexus Canada and they told me it can be done - called the number on the sticker on windshield. It really rubs me when you are paying $125 an hour or more to have people work on cars that don't know how they work. Fortunately for me it only took two visits and I came out with no charges and a wash job and oil change. Don't give up!!!!

Good luck

Dave
Old 08-29-11, 06:46 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus needs to crack down on their Dealers. I took mine in for the rear door and it was absolutely no problem. My Dealer has always been right on top of everything, that was a big selling point when I bought the RX. If I had some of the experiences I have read about in this forum I would be letting corporate know. That is part of what you are paying that premium for.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Sad but true.
Old 08-29-11, 06:58 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you read my prior posts on this subject you can see that I FINALLY had this accomplished. I never ceases to amaze me that so many dealers are still telling owners that this can not be accomplished when it clearly states otherwise in the owner's manual and we have all of this information on this forum to the contrary. It certainly makes one wonder what kind of specializes training, if any, is being provided to the dealerships. One would think that a simple telephone call by the service personnel to Lexus could resolve this in a matter of minutes to the customer's satisfaction. I guess it is just easier to say it can't be done and hope that the customer just goes away. How sad that a customer has to force feed the service staff with information in order to have a job done. This entire experience has given me a very bad impression of the quality of Lexus service. Don't accept No for an answer. Make them do it even if you have to go directly to the General Manager or the Owner of the dealership.
Old 08-30-11, 08:35 AM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2010 Rx450h. The door sticker says it was manufactured in 7/09. I was told that all 2010 models could be set to power up the rear door. The dealers here have not been able to set mine.

Does anyone have a Rx450h, 400, or 350 from around the same manufacturing date and have their rear door working with the power up?

Last edited by lexuschar; 08-31-11 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-14-11, 01:49 PM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Well, I ended up going to a dealer at the recommendation by one of the guys here on the board. This is the same dealer that was able to get his power back door actually powering open. I spoke to the service manager who recalls getting this working on other 350 and 450h vehicles. He said that the option was not available on my 2010 450h. He seemed to know about the feature and that is was available on some models. Well, I would have liked to have the feature turned on, yet I can certainly live without the power open.

Now I just need to get them to fix the knocking sound in the front end...

Quick Reply: power trunk door