RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote Start - Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 06:07 PM
tlmwv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Remote Start - Question.

Wondering why the engine shuts off when the door is locked, unlocked or opened after it has been started using the remote start option? My father's Escalade has remote start and when you unlock the door after remote starting, the engine does not shut off. Seems like a lot of extra wear and tear on the starter when we have to re-start the engine every time. I'm thinking this is a security issue but doesn't the "smart" key fob know the owner is approaching (or unlocking) the door and therefore is no need to kill the engine?
Old 11-29-10, 06:39 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Like the NAV lockout while moving,another ridiculous Toyota safety concern.
I have the factory remote start and hate that shut off when unlocking the door.The range of the remote is short too.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-29-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 03:58 PM
badams1897
Rookie

The NAV Lockout is a total PITA! I hate it so much and I cannot believe Lexus/Toyota did it. You cannot enter an address while moving which you shouldn't if you are a driver however I always have a passenger! The system is designed for passenger use as well which is why it includes 2 enter buttons on either side of your "mouse"!
Old 11-30-10, 09:03 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The Lexus USA Vice President and General Manager, Mark Templin made it very clear Lexus is concerned about your safety and they "gave" us Enform, voice commands, and eDestination to keep us from fiddling with the nav when we should be paying attention to the road (my paraphrasing) during his recent virtual chat.
Old 12-01-10, 12:42 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I do like the Enform just call and let them put it in for you. It was faster than stopping on the side of the road and looking for it on your own.
Old 12-01-10, 04:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DunWkg
The Lexus USA Vice President and General Manager, Mark Templin made it very clear Lexus is concerned about your safety and they "gave" us Enform, voice commands, and eDestination to keep us from fiddling with the nav when we should be paying attention to the road (my paraphrasing) during his recent virtual chat.

Lexus Enform with Safety Connect
1 year $264.90
2 years $503.31
3 years $743.04
4 years $974.83

I don't need Enform and rather have the inputs in motion option.
How come Garmin doesn't get sued for it's lack of safety?
The portable GPS units are more dangerous to input while driving.
Old 12-01-10, 07:04 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by Joeb427
1 year $264.90
2 years $503.31
3 years $743.04
4 years $974.83

Yeah, Lexus "gave" us Enform.

I think, Garmin and all the other portable GPS units could be sued. However, this example of a disclaimer in one of the Garmin manuals may reduce, but not eliminate, law suits. There probably be arguments about "prolonged".

Old 12-01-10, 07:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Yeah, Lexus "gave" us Enform.

I think, Garmin and all the other portable GPS units could be sued. However, this example of a disclaimer in one of the Garmin manuals may reduce, but not eliminate, law suits. There probably be arguments about "prolonged".

Garmins and other brand units sell/sold in the millions and I haven't heard of any lawsuits.
Other auto manufacturers without the lockout may have the same warning somewhere in the user manual which is fine with me.
Toyota NAV is some other countries doesn't have the lockout.
Toyota remote start shutdown when unlocking the doors is silly too.
Any remote start unit will shut down when the brake is applied.You can't shift into gear if the brake isn't applied.
Is a shutdown really needed?IMO,not at all.
Old 12-01-10, 07:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Blame the morons in society, i.e. the ones that need to be told that coffee may be hot. If we weren't such a litigious place and were held accountable for our own stupid actions, it would be quite a different world.

BTW, I'm ok with the remote start shut off. It's not a big deal to restart the car when I get in. I might be in the minority here. But really, I'm just trying to put it into context.
Old 12-01-10, 07:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
Blame the morons in society, i.e. the ones that need to be told that coffee may be hot. If we weren't such a litigious place and were held accountable for our own stupid actions, it would be quite a different world.

BTW, I'm ok with the remote start shut off. It's not a big deal to restart the car when I get in. I might be in the minority here. But really, I'm just trying to put it into context.
True on the morons in society and litigious place but a simple warning in a manual or waiver signing would prevent lawsuits.
Other auto manufacturers don't seem to be as worried as Toyota.
Old 12-01-10, 11:53 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Although there does seem to be a few lawsuits where the GPS was issuing incorrect or dangerous directions, I would imagine there will be an increasing number of "distracted driver" lawsuits. Lawsuits where someone is injured or killed by distracted drivers.
Old 12-02-10, 04:54 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

1 year $264.90
2 years $503.31
3 years $743.04
4 years $974.83

That is a small price to pay for my family's safety. I would hope most people feel the same way.

I keep hearing about all these "other vehicle manufacturers" that don't have the lockout on the Nav when it is in motion. Honestly, I can't say I've ever been in one that doesn't lock you out. Can someone give examples of these. One example is not enough.

On the Garmin........have you guys tried entering while going down the highway? I don't experience much traffic but I would bet that it is even worse in those conditions.

I like that Lexus at least gave us the option for the "enform" system and I don't mind it as it does serve other purposes other than the Nav.
Old 12-02-10, 05:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by k9shelly1
That is a small price to pay for my family's safety. I would hope most people feel the same way.

I keep hearing about all these "other vehicle manufacturers" that don't have the lockout on the Nav when it is in motion. Honestly, I can't say I've ever been in one that doesn't lock you out. Can someone give examples of these. One example is not enough.

On the Garmin........have you guys tried entering while going down the highway? I don't experience much traffic but I would bet that it is even worse in those conditions.

I like that Lexus at least gave us the option for the "enform" system and I don't mind it as it does serve other purposes other than the Nav.

BMW doesn't have the lockout.I don't believe Audi and Honda/Acura have a lockout.
Yes,the Garmin is worse.
Toyota and other companies should let the passenger be able to do inputs.Easy to do as there's already an airbag sensor when someone is seated.
When the wife and I go on a long ride or trip we carry our Garmin and do inputs for food or other points of interest so I don't have to pull over.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-02-10 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-02-10, 08:36 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default Bring the Garmin, Too!

When the wife and I go on a long ride or trip we carry our Garmin and do inputs for food or other points of interest so I don't have to pull over.
Good suggestion. I must do that. Thanks.
Old 12-02-10, 09:25 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

BMW doesn't have the lockout.I don't believe Audi and Honda/Acura have a lockout.
Yes,the Garmin is worse.
Toyota and other companies should let the passenger be able to do inputs.Easy to do as there's already an airbag sensor when someone is seated.When the wife and I go on a long ride or trip we carry our Garmin and do inputs for food or other points of interest so I don't have to pull over.
I agree with this 100%. There should be no reason why a sensor can't tell the computer that there is someone in the passenger seat. The passenger can enter all of the info.

Quick Reply: Remote Start - Question.