RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Odometer fraud!! BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggyziggy
a vehicle with that much mileage at least would have scratches here and there and the leather seats would obviously have creases. my 2010 RXh with under 1000 miles already have creases on the seats. how can anyone who is careful enough to do all the investigative work after purchasing not notice a worn out car visually at the time of purchase. also, the engine bay would at least have some dirt inside...
while not common, but if carefully treated, car can be in top notch condition after 12k miles. seats in my sc430 didn't show creases after 36k miles
Old 12-17-10, 08:57 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
while not common, but if carefully treated, car can be in top notch condition after 12k miles. seats in my sc430 didn't show creases after 36k miles
you are either very lightly weighted or the sc has excellent seat material. but then again, how much is the sc again???
Old 12-17-10, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol, nothing to do with price of the car, more about how you care about the leather and how you get in and out. i always make sure i don't lean or sit on the side, that's the key
Old 12-17-10, 10:35 AM
ralfyb
Driver School Candidate

Default Name of Dealer

I see that there is no reply to this question what is the name of the dealer?
Old 12-17-10, 10:51 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is a case of misreading the VIN # when put on carfax. May be the person needs to wear a pair of eyeglasses? LOLLL
Old 12-20-10, 03:36 PM
man8959
Driver

where is dungar? keep us updated...or maybe we're not going to see him again..
Old 12-20-10, 03:39 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

probably a new car, but the vin number and info stuff was incorrectly entered in the system.
Old 12-21-10, 07:30 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
probably a new car, but the vin number and info stuff was incorrectly entered in the system.
Probably, but it would be courteous to come back and let us know what happended instead of just going away. If you ask for advice at least close the loop to the problem.
Old 12-23-10, 10:39 AM
dungar
Driver School Candidate

Update = According to dealership, it was an error of putting your VIN number in another car's 10000 mile service. He proved to me (with help of title records) that he did not have this car in his dealership when 10000 mile service was done. It was with another dealership and was traded back at the time of sale. He also changed the record in Lexus drivers' website. I also checked my car at another Lexus dealership. According to them, bumpy ride is common in Rx 350 as it has sporty suspension but he agreed that it looks like drain plug gasket has been replaced.

According to lawyer, I have a case but he is charging ridiculous amount of money and does not guarantee anything.

I am still thinking about further action. Sorry for late reply.
Old 12-23-10, 10:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dungar
Update = According to dealership, it was an error of putting your VIN number in another car's 10000 mile service. He proved to me (with help of title records) that he did not have this car in his dealership when 10000 mile service was done. It was with another dealership and was traded back at the time of sale. He also changed the record in Lexus drivers' website. I also checked my car at another Lexus dealership. According to them, bumpy ride is common in Rx 350 as it has sporty suspension but he agreed that it looks like drain plug gasket has been replaced.

According to lawyer, I have a case but he is charging ridiculous amount of money and does not guarantee anything.

???
Your dealer seems to be a bad one in many respects.
Old 12-23-10, 12:26 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Having been in the retail end of the car business for many years (retired), I think you have a case w/o having to buy a lawyer. If the car was indeed used before you purchased it (as a new car with just a few miles according to ODO statement), and had thousands of miles on it (undisclosed to you), I'd start with LEXUS Corporate. They will not be happy with a dealer carrying their Marque on the store front doing that. It would cause great damage to the Lexus name.
Old 12-23-10, 12:50 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure why you have a case against Lexus. If I understand your post the wrong VIN was entered into the database and that vehicles service history ended up on your VIN's history, but the RX you got had the mileage indicated on the odometer statement. It appears that it was a typo error that has now been corrected. Doesn't sound like any type of fraud was involved, and you suffered no loss. What's the case the lawyer is talking about? If I was in your shoes I'd let it go. But maybe I'm misinterpreting what your note is saying.

The RX is indeed going to ride rougher than an LS, ES or even an IS, it's just designed that way. It's not a defect in the vehicle. It sounds like you may have a bit of buyer's remorse, but that's not Lexus' fault.
Old 12-23-10, 12:58 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Having been in the retail end of the car business for many years (retired), I think you have a case w/o having to buy a lawyer. If the car was indeed used before you purchased it (as a new car with just a few miles according to ODO statement), and had thousands of miles on it (undisclosed to you), I'd start with LEXUS Corporate. They will not be happy with a dealer carrying their Marque on the store front doing that. It would cause great damage to the Lexus name.
Jim,

I think he is saying that the 10000 miles was on another vehicle and that His new vehicle VIN had been incorrectly entered for it. If I read this right, then his vehicle did have the low mileage and was new. (All of this is subject to how I am reading his responses!)

It looks like it was a series of unfortunate mistakes that have now been corrected. I think that the dealer/Lexus might incur some goodwill by offering up something for all of the effort that he went through. But it does not sound like he was sold a used vehicle as new.

On the other end of things, someone might have a used RX with a new vehicle service record. I wonder if they straightened that out also.
Old 12-23-10, 02:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i dont' see a case either. if the vin was entered incorrectly for another vehicle in service, then that means your car is still new and not been tempered with
Old 12-23-10, 03:17 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumpy ride is not common on RX 350. Drain plug gasket has been replaced? Meaning the car had a oil change already. Hmm. Get a mechanic to look over the car. Get another lawyer and pay him on contingency. Ask him to take 30% of any proceeds from the lawsuit. No proceeds, no pay.

Quick Reply: Odometer fraud!! BEWARE