RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Odometer fraud!! BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 03:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

I'd try the state attorney general's office if there is reason to believe there was dealer misrepresentation. They are usually the ones that regulate professional licenses and will do an investigation. Lexus corporate is also a good alternative. Neither one will cost you anything except your time.
Old 12-24-10, 02:00 AM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The usual saying goes "too good to be true" but in this case it's "too bad to be true" lol...

Anyway if we are talking a legit lexus dealership I doubt they sold you a brand new car that is not brand new. Just some incorrect data entry on their part, but it seems like your car is the real deal. Bumpy ride can be interpreted in many ways with each driver. In the end I think you will be using up a lot of time without much benefit.
Old 12-24-10, 07:25 AM
blkbrdrydr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dungar
Update = According to dealership, it was an error of putting your VIN number in another car's 10000 mile service. He proved to me (with help of title records) that he did not have this car in his dealership when 10000 mile service was done. It was with another dealership and was traded back at the time of sale. He also changed the record in Lexus drivers' website. I also checked my car at another Lexus dealership. According to them, bumpy ride is common in Rx 350 as it has sporty suspension but he agreed that it looks like drain plug gasket has been replaced.

According to lawyer, I have a case but he is charging ridiculous amount of money and does not guarantee anything.

I am still thinking about further action. Sorry for late reply.
As I understand this posting, the VIN number of a new RX 350 that was purchased by Dungar at Dealership A was accidentally entered into Dealership B's service computer while doing a 10,000 mile service on another person's RX 350 at Dealership B.

The service record for the RX 350 that had service work done at Dealership B has been corrected to indicate the correct VIN number for the RX 350 that's owned by someone else and had a 10,000 mile service performed.

What's the problem with the new RX 350 that was purchased by Dungar at Dealership A and what does a "replaced" drain plug crush washer look like when compared to a "not replaced" drain plug crush washer?

Lexus dealerships in Utica and Southfield are owned by one dealer. Lexus dealerships in Ann Arbor and Lansing are owned by another dealer and the 5th Lexus dealership is in Grand Rapids. I believe that there are only three different dealership owners in Michigan. I'm trying to figure out which two dealerships were initially involved and which of the five were called upon to examine the drain plug.

I'm not getting it.

Last edited by blkbrdrydr; 12-24-10 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-24-10, 07:39 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Does the new oil filters have factor printed on them? It is an easy way to tell if someone has changed the oil once or not. I saw and old 4cylnider at a dodge store one time that had 40k miles on it and still had the factor filter on it. That oil was past jell in was bake in and on everything. Now I do not thing that someone who gets a RX would ever do something like that but it also help the owner to know that the first oil filter was changed out.
Old 12-26-10, 10:01 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Too much conspiracy theory going on here. It would be pretty hard to tell if a crush washer has been replaced from a visual inspection, especially if the oil has not been drained. The dealer opined that 'it looked' like it had been replaced, which means nothing. This looks like an honest **** up and no one has been injured or suffered any monetary loss, yet we are looking for some way for the OP to 'profit' from this.

Last edited by Evitzee; 12-26-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-26-10, 01:31 PM
ralfyb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dungar
I just purchased new Lexus 2010 RX 350 from dealership. During driving, I did not feel like a new car (had some scratches and bumpy ride) so I checked carfax on it. To my surprise, last odometer reading on it was >12000 miles and when I received from dealer the miles were 265. Even currently it has 1700 miles. I checked services on lexusdrivers.com and found that it had 10000 miles service performed at the dealership and also had battery and Gasket replaced.

It is common to have odometer frauds in old or recertified cars but I have not heard in new cars. Do you think that I should take legal help or contact dealer directly to replace the car?
What about the bad ride and all the scratches do you still feel this is a problem have you told the dealership about this the VIn #s are one thing but this does not explain the other problems
Old 01-12-11, 10:17 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suspect this car was a dealer service loaner. They retain title on the car and let customers drive them for around 10,000 miles, then normally sell them as such. Somehow the mileage has been "suspiciously" reset to zero and an additional 265 miles or so put on it. This would account for the title coming back registering the OP as the original owner, and would also account for the obvious mileage on the vehicle. I think you are dealing with a crooked car dealer. Take it up with Lexus USA and good luck with them. I have never had a satisfactory response from them. Or a lawsuit is your only option. Find a different attorney. Best of luck with it. Progress reports, as well as naming this dealer, would be appreciated.

I find it strange that the OP hasn't posted any responses since before Christmas.

Last edited by rjm; 01-12-11 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-12-11, 12:04 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rjm
I suspect this car was a dealer service loaner. They retain title on the car and let customers drive them for around 10,000 miles, then normally sell them as such. Somehow the mileage has been "suspiciously" reset to zero and an additional 265 miles or so put on it. This would account for the title coming back registering the OP as the original owner, and would also account for the obvious mileage on the vehicle. I think you are dealing with a crooked car dealer. Take it up with Lexus USA and good luck with them. I have never had a satisfactory response from them. Or a lawsuit is your only option. Find a different attorney. Best of luck with it. Progress reports, as well as naming this dealer, would be appreciated.

I find it strange that the OP hasn't posted any responses since before Christmas.
Pure speculation on your part. As we have discussed a Lexus dealer would have to have a death wish to roll back an odometer (Federal offense) and sell a car with 10,000+ miles on it as NEW. They would not have their dealership franchise for very long.

Why would you find it strange there has been no response from the OP? The story sounds fishy and it appeared it was just a misappropriation of another cars VIN onto the wrong account. He has moved on.
Old 01-12-11, 12:44 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
The story sounds fishy and it appeared it was just a misappropriation of another cars VIN onto the wrong account. He has moved on.
Pure speculation on your part also. Everyone commenting on this thread has offered their opinion...as I have. Wondering why you think his story "sounds fishy" and yet you accept that it was a "misappropriation of another cars VIN into the wrong account."? Interesting reasoning.

And, to quote you:
Probably, but it would be courteous to come back and let us know what happended instead of just going away. If you ask for advice at least close the loop to the problem.
Old 01-12-11, 12:51 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rjm
Pure speculation on your part also. Everyone commenting on this thread has offered their opinion...as I have. Wondering why you think his story "sounds fishy" and yet you accept that it was a "misappropriation of another cars VIN into the wrong account."? Interesting reasoning.

And, to quote you:
Have you read the entire thread? The OP's conclusion was that was appeared to have happened (mess up with the VIN's). He did come back and tell us what he had found out and there doesn't seem much else to add to a case of mistaken identity. I don't think there is much else to add to this story, yet many still want to believe there was something crooked in what the dealer has done, but there is no proof of that at all.
Old 01-12-11, 01:15 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I do not care for my dealer service department but I still could not see a Lexus dealer try to sell a use car as new. No Lexus dealer would do that it would cost them the dealership if it were found out to be true. like you have put in the other post someone missed up with the vin numbers and that is the end of this except the screw up with the vin numbers needs a new system were it could not happen again. Just think if car fax got the wrong information because of a screw up like this with a car that was a totaled lost and a new car what a PNA that would be to get fixed.
Old 01-12-11, 01:19 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
many still want to believe there was something crooked in what the dealer has done, but there is no proof of that at all.
To put an end to it, you seem to be the one that introduced the conspiracy theory to the OP's story.

I dunno, but this story sounds fishy. OP has never posted before and he comes in with this story of how the dealership (Lexus?) sold him a well used car with 12,000 mi on it and they rolled the odometer back to cheat him. Lexus franchises are not easily obtained and the licensee would have to have a death wish to do something like this for he would not keep his franchise for long. This story does not add up, I think the OP could well be a troll.
The rest of us have merely offered opinions as to possible causes. That's kinda what forums are for. I think our discussion has run it's course. Have a good day.
Old 01-12-11, 05:00 PM
blkbrdrydr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rjm

And, to quote you:
I think that putting the wrong information into the Service database is more common than we might realize.

Last Friday, I logged into www.mylexus.com to check the service history of my wife's 2009 IS. Guess what....! There was an entry for subcontracting with a towing company at 6,523 miles. Guess what else...! There was NEVER any contact with any towing company, for any reason whatsoever, ever.

I contacted the Service Manager and her initial response to their mistake was to send me a copy of the invoice that lists the owner as someone with a similar, but not the same last name as ours. Once I pointed out that I never heard of that particular person whose name is different than my wife's, the Service Manager sent a correcting entry to Lexus to remove the incorrect entry from my wife's vehicle history.

Service Date Service Provider Mileage Repair Order # Service Description
Dealer Reported 01/07/2011 14985 0042096 RO#32845 1-12-10 WRITTEN FOR INCORRECT VEHICLE CORRECTION TO BE NOTED IN NATIONA
Dealer Reported 09/17/2010 14984 0039124 PERFORMED 15,000 MILE SERVICE
Dealer Reported 09/17/2010 14984 0039124 NO PROBLEM FOUND
Dealer Reported 05/07/2010 10398 0035645 PERFORMED 10,000 MILE SERVICE
Dealer Reported 05/07/2010 10398 0035645 9LG REPL PEDAL PAD, REFLASH, AWFM - IS MODELS ONLY
Dealer Reported 01/22/2010 6523 0032845 SUBLET TO GENERAL TOWING PO# 03444 INV# 102535
Dealer Reported 12/18/2009 5117 0031951 PERFORMED 5,000 MILE SERVICE
Dealer Reported 12/18/2009 5117 0031951 ADJUSTED TIRE PRESSURE
Dealer Reported 12/18/2009 5117 0031951 OTHER INSPECTION
Dealer Reported 12/18/2009 5117 0031951 REMOVED D/S FRT FLOORMAT
Dealer Reported 08/25/2009 1830 0098782 PERFORMED LEXUS PERSONALIZED SETTINGS
Dealer Reported 07/28/2009 44 0098026 DETAIL FOR DELIVERY
Dealer Reported 07/22/2009 15 0097866 COMPLETED INSPECTION

Last edited by blkbrdrydr; 01-12-11 at 05:07 PM.