RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Odometer fraud!! BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 06:49 PM
dungar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer fraud!! BEWARE

I just purchased new Lexus 2010 RX 350 from dealership. During driving, I did not feel like a new car (had some scratches and bumpy ride) so I checked carfax on it. To my surprise, last odometer reading on it was >12000 miles and when I received from dealer the miles were 265. Even currently it has 1700 miles. I checked services on lexusdrivers.com and found that it had 10000 miles service performed at the dealership and also had battery and Gasket replaced.

It is common to have odometer frauds in old or recertified cars but I have not heard in new cars. Do you think that I should take legal help or contact dealer directly to replace the car?
Old 12-10-10, 07:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

dealership? i guess it's not lexus dealership? if it's 3rd party, it's really your car

and are you really getting a "new" title for the car? that doesn't make sense if the car already had 12k miles on the odo. there should be some other owners before you.

either way, changing the cluster will basically reset the odo reading, but i believe they have regulation saying that it has to be done at dealership and they have to register the change and put a sticker on your door jam or somewhere indicating the mismatch
Old 12-10-10, 07:26 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dungar
I just purchased new Lexus 2010 RX 350 from dealership. During driving, I did not feel like a new car (had some scratches and bumpy ride) so I checked carfax on it. To my surprise, last odometer reading on it was >12000 miles and when I received from dealer the miles were 265. Even currently it has 1700 miles. I checked services on lexusdrivers.com and found that it had 10000 miles service performed at the dealership and also had battery and Gasket replaced.

It is common to have odometer frauds in old or recertified cars but I have not heard in new cars. Do you think that I should take legal help or contact dealer directly to replace the car?
If you purchased this car as a 'NEW' car from a Lexus dealership, than by all means, drive straight there tomorrow and demand 'OUT' of the sale and any moneys you paid to be returned to you. Plan on leaving the car there. If all you said is true, many laws have been broken. If you keep the car you're already behind the 8 ball and it won't get better.
Old 12-10-10, 07:51 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would call your States Consumer Protection agency (auto fraud section) and talk to them in addition to going to see the manager of the dealership. One or both of these actions should solve the problem. Here is a link to the Michigan consumer protection agency.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Co...ry_59572_7.pdf
Old 12-10-10, 10:09 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't you sign a little form that has the mileage on it, its a requirement for a new car I believe. Check your paperwork, if it states the mileage and you can show that there are records showing otherwise you win.
Old 12-11-10, 05:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't be easy selling a 'new' vehicle with 12K miles.
A vehicle with 12K miles wouldn't look new.The leather seats would look a bit used,chassis would be dirty,tires a bit worn,a couple of stone chips etc.

You have a good case against the dealer.
Hopefully you didn't sign the Odometer Statement that Evitzee mentions.
Even if you did,you still have a chance of getting your money back.
Old 12-11-10, 05:30 AM
dungar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
dealership? i guess it's not lexus dealership? if it's 3rd party, it's really your car

and are you really getting a "new" title for the car? that doesn't make sense if the car already had 12k miles on the odo. there should be some other owners before you.

either way, changing the cluster will basically reset the odo reading, but i believe they have regulation saying that it has to be done at dealership and they have to register the change and put a sticker on your door jam or somewhere indicating the mismatch
Yes, I already got new title of the car and the mileage written on it is 265. I am the first owner according to carfax. I am going to talk to them and I hope they don't simply answer saying, " It was an error !!"

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-10, 05:31 AM
dungar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Didn't you sign a little form that has the mileage on it, its a requirement for a new car I believe. Check your paperwork, if it states the mileage and you can show that there are records showing otherwise you win.
Yes I signed that little form and it has mileage on it. Title also has mileage written on it.
Old 12-11-10, 05:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dungar
Yes I signed that little form and it has mileage on it. Title also has mileage written on it.
What was the mileage number?
If 265,you got a great case and should win easily.
Old 12-11-10, 09:01 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody will be going to jail if all of this is true. You may own the dealership when this is all over.
Old 12-11-10, 05:41 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd talk to an attorney ASAP before you do anything. Like many have said it's a crime to tamper with an odometer as it appears obvious someone has.
Old 12-11-10, 08:13 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Check the VIN on your sales receipt against your car's VIN before anything else. Could be they made a mistake and gave you a loaner instead of your purchase?
Old 12-11-10, 10:40 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I dunno, but this story sounds fishy. OP has never posted before and he comes in with this story of how the dealership (Lexus?) sold him a well used car with 12,000 mi on it and they rolled the odometer back to cheat him. Lexus franchises are not easily obtained and the licensee would have to have a death wish to do something like this for he would not keep his franchise for long. This story does not add up, I think the OP could well be a troll.
Old 12-12-10, 05:50 AM
dungar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I dunno, but this story sounds fishy. OP has never posted before and he comes in with this story of how the dealership (Lexus?) sold him a well used car with 12,000 mi on it and they rolled the odometer back to cheat him. Lexus franchises are not easily obtained and the licensee would have to have a death wish to do something like this for he would not keep his franchise for long. This story does not add up, I think the OP could well be a troll.
I agree with you Evitzee that I have never posted before because I am new to this forum and in fact I am new to Lexus world as this was my first Lexus purchase. The story is true and I am awaiting final response of dealership. I will keep you posted.
Old 12-12-10, 06:44 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was this a 'Lexus' Dealership?

Quick Reply: Odometer fraud!! BEWARE