RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start reprogramming...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 08:25 PM
ellisina4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start reprogramming...

I think there should be a way to reprogram the remote start so that the car would not turn off when the door handle is touched. I think thi sshould be possible since similar items can be done with VAG tool on VW and Audi's and Cipher software for Infiniti's.

Please comment.
Old 12-28-10, 04:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ellisina4
I think there should be a way to reprogram the remote start so that the car would not turn off when the door handle is touched. I think thi sshould be possible since similar items can be done with VAG tool on VW and Audi's and Cipher software for Infiniti's.

Please comment.

If you find out,let me know.I have two Toyota products with remote start and that safety feature is ridiculous.
Old 12-30-10, 12:36 PM
dericious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed they lawyers wont' allow it. They wont even let you use the navigation while moving! On the other hand I dont' think i'd disable this safety function for a number of reasons.
Old 12-30-10, 12:41 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Probably worried about theft as well.
Old 12-30-10, 03:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

ive never had to use remote start where I live, but I dont find it that ridiculous...

so you have to put the start button one more time when you get in...besides wear and tear on the starter, its a safety feature that I would be able to live with
Old 12-30-10, 03:31 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
ive never had to use remote start where I live, but I dont find it that ridiculous...

so you have to put the start button one more time when you get in...besides wear and tear on the starter, its a safety feature that I would be able to live with

The thing is what's the safety benefit?
With regular remote start installation,the engine will shut down when the brake is applied.You can't shift into gear without stepping on the brake.
I can see if it has to do with the push button start system but remote start installed in regular key vehicles has the same shut down on entry.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-30-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-30-10, 03:39 PM
RXSF

so on non toyota/lexus cars, it shuts down when you depress the brake? So isnt that the same thing here?--because you have to depress the brake to change gears, so you end up having to start the car over as well.

I assumed you had a problem with having to start the car over again, but it sounds like that happens with other remote start systems....so whats the problem?

sorry I know nothing about remote start, never used it, probably never will
Old 12-30-10, 03:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

so on non toyota/lexus cars, it shuts down when you depress the brake? So isnt that the same thing here?--because you have to depress the brake to change gears, so you end up having to start the car over as well.

I assumed you had a problem with having to start the car over again, but it sounds like that happens with other remote start systems....so whats the problem?

sorry I know nothing about remote start, never used it, probably never will
Nope!

Remote start worked in the past with Toyota and just about all,if not all other installs,when the vehicle was remote started and running,you would unlock the door,enter the vehicle and put the key in the ignition and turn the key to start but not actually start and then put your foot on the brake to shift into gear.
If you didn't insert the key the engine would shut down when brake was applied.

I've had remote start in my vehicles for many years.
Old 12-30-10, 03:53 PM
RXSF

I wonder how it is with other cars with push button start. They had to think of some way to prevent theft.
Old 12-30-10, 03:59 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder how it is with other cars with push button start. They had to think of some way to prevent theft.

Now with the Smart Key it's possible the engine shutdown may be the only way to prevent theft but Toyota has done this type of safety procedure since 2008 with regular key vehicles..
Although with Smart Key,the key is detected and would be like inserting the key in the non Smart Key vehicle.
We bought a '06 Toyota that had dealer installed remote start without the engine shutoff

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-30-10 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-30-10, 04:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority again. I'm fine with having to restart the car. Do it a few times and it becomes second nature. I remember the days with no power tailgate, no bluetooth, no iPod capability, no push button start, etc. I'll take remote start with its limitations.

RXSF, be happy you don't have to use remote start
Old 12-30-10, 04:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Anybody with remote start experience when you use the remote start,then enter the RX and the RX sometimes won't start on the first button push and though rarely a second button push?
That's annoying.
Old 12-30-10, 04:43 PM
RXSF

haha yeah im complaining even in 50 degree weather here

^^ on that note, ive noticed that sometimes when I push the button too fast, and then instantly change gear in a rush, the hybrid isnt started and i have to put it back in P and repush the button.
Old 12-30-10, 04:49 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

haha yeah im complaining even in 50 degree weather here

^^ on that note, ive noticed that sometimes when I push the button too fast, and then instantly change gear in a rush, the hybrid isnt started and i have to put it back in P and repush the button.
I'd love 50 degrees. 25" of snow a few days ago.

Thanks,RXSF.Speaking of pushing the button to fast...
I may do that and maybe when I use remote start and enter,I may push the start button too quickly not letting the system reset or something.
I usually hit the start button before even getting comfortable in the seat.
Old 12-30-10, 05:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Joeb, it'll be in the mid 40s by the weekend so that'll feel like 70 degrees to us

I noticed the same problem if I push the button too quickly. It's so quiet with no engine noise to indicate if it's on or not. I have to look at the dash

Quick Reply: Remote start reprogramming...