RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 10:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you don't have a police report you may be ok.
Our Camry just was rear ended 2 weeks ago so we'll have that Carfax problem.
I didn't even have to pick up a police report from my police dept.I've received about 20 police reports of the accident from different ambulance chasing lawyers.
Police reports are public knowledge.Probably the way Carfax gets them.
Old 01-04-11, 10:41 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Can you just ask the Bus's insurance company to pay you in cash for the repairs (as if you didnt want to get it done now). Then use the cash and go to a body shop to get it done, thereby eliminating the insurance company all together and therefore not showing up on carfax?
Old 01-04-11, 10:58 AM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
Can you just ask the Bus's insurance company to pay you in cash for the repairs (as if you didnt want to get it done now). Then use the cash and go to a body shop to get it done, thereby eliminating the insurance company all together and therefore not showing up on carfax?

I'm still waiting for them to call me, I doubt they will do that though. If they can compensate me for the value I loss (car value) due to accident I'll bring my car to lexus and not worry about carfax or lexus report.

Last edited by yahj; 01-04-11 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 11:11 AM
yahj
Driver

thank you guys for all the advice so happy I joined CL
Old 01-04-11, 12:00 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
If you don't have a police report you may be ok.
Our Camry just was rear ended 2 weeks ago so we'll have that Carfax problem.
I didn't even have to pick up a police report from my police dept.I've received about 20 police reports of the accident from different ambulance chasing lawyers.
Police reports are public knowledge.Probably the way Carfax gets them.
Dayum is that sleazy Joeb. Tell them you're a lawyer

Carfax finds out about the repair from insurance company/body shop. Dealer will pull the report, maybe find out, maybe not. I couldn't do that to mine. They know my RX because I take it there for service. Yahj, make sure you take it to the best place for repair. They will guarantee their work.

A few times when my brother-in-law took in trades, all high end, they had signs of repair. Finding out who the previous owner was sold the car. Maybe you can use that when you trade in yours

Again, best of luck in getting repairs/restitution.
Old 01-04-11, 01:06 PM
dericious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who take trade-in's that knows his business at all would be able to identify body work or even repainting done.

You dont' even need to feel for overspray ect. anymore. you can just use an inexpensive paint thickness meter and it will be obvious something was repainted indicating they should look closely for body work.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I did that a few years ago when I was backing my truck out of my 'long and curvy' driveway. The dammed pine tree just jumped into my path w/o even honking .

I took it to a local body shop I had recommendations on. Bondo craftsmen and good painters are still around. When they were done you couldn't even tell the bumper had been straightened and the dent filled and sanded and painted all for about $500. The insurance would have replaced the lamp assy (minor scratch only), the fender, the bumper, and it probably would have cost $5k minus my deductible and carfax would have known. I wound up trading the GMC to a Lexus dealer who bought it for his son and everyone was happy. Sometimes lack of knowledge is bliss.

So if you can get a sufficient amount of funds from the Dept of Education or county or whoever is responsible .....

Good luck.
Old 01-04-11, 03:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by dericious
Anyone who take trade-in's that knows his business at all would be able to identify body work or even repainting done.
My brother-in-law knew about the repairs before he took them in. But when you're talking about someone buying a $100-200K car, it's sometimes worth accepting their trade in, bringing it to the auction and taking the loss if necessary. It never ceased to amaze me what people would buy, including a Bentley someone was shot and killed in It was cleaned up beforehand.

yahj, sorry for getting off topic. Definitely let us know how the repair and reimbursement goes.

Last edited by kitlz; 01-04-11 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 04:23 PM
yahj
Driver

got a call from the insurance agency and I'm not liking it, first they want me to get a quote from 2 diff. auto shops and who ever bid the lowest thats the price they're going to pay but there's only one shop here certified by a lexus and I'm planning to bring it there, second they don't wanna pay the diminished value so now I might seek legal advice for that one, don't like it a bit I'm a victim here and A lot of time will be waste just to fix the car while the other driver is out enjoying like nothings happen

jhay
Old 01-04-11, 05:05 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to see how your State handles claims like that. In Oregon, you choose whatever auto repair shop you want, and the insurance company and that auto repair shop finalize the correct payment to get the job done. It used to work where they went w/ the cheapest bid, but rules have changed where you select the repair shop of choice. One does not even get bids in Oregon now. If in question, call your insurance carrier and ask them these questions or let them negotiate with the bus insurance carrier.
Old 01-04-11, 05:15 PM
akim47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

diminished value? good in concept but very difficult in practice... my wife got rear ended in her mercedes twice... first time no big deal... small fender bender for $2500. 2nd time was $10K in damage. Trying to get diminished value, but lawyer has told me (at least in CA) I prob wont get crap. I tried getting multiple appraisals etc... Fletcher Jones in NB - guy I know told me "Ya.. interesting subject there... if you ask us to take your car on a trade in with the accident, we'll give you less... but we won't document it anywhere... we'll just say we'll give you less.. the dealer doesn't want any appraiser or employed to be supoena'd or anything... so we will NEVER go on the record..." I went to CARMAX and it was more or less the same story.. pretty much wrote down the value of the car by a couple thousand... but wouldn't go on the record to say why... it's just in the "notes" section of the appraiser... not direct evidence that would hold up in court necessarily. "NO STRUCTURAL DAMAGE" indicates the car is as good as new in the eyes of the opposing party's insurance. I'm still trying to fight the fight - even willing to liquidate the car to prove that I can't get market value - but I'm not sure I am going to win. They are even fighting me on the rental car .. while it was being fixed, we rented the same car from the dealer for an additional cost, I mean why shouldn't she be allowed to drive the same car, right? They are stating that it was "excessive" and want to reimburse $18/day for rental... BS...
Old 01-04-11, 05:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

^^ I agree with Jim. What the bus company's insurance company states and what you are legally entitled to may be two different things. The other option would be to go through your own insurance. You can get it repaired where you want and then your insurance company will go after the bus company's insurance company for reimbursement. Not sure about seeking diminished value. Your best bet is to contact an attorney. Sometimes the threat is enough to get them to pay.
Old 01-04-11, 07:03 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.insurance.wa.gov/consumer...sProcess.shtml
Old 01-04-11, 07:32 PM
yahj
Driver

thanks Jim

I read this last night, it's no secret about the diminished value. The challenge is to find somebody to do the evaluation and if its good enough for the insurance company to accept the claim, when I told the bus insurance about this they immediately said "No they don't pay DV at all period"

Last edited by yahj; 01-04-11 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 07:42 PM
yahj
Driver

Originally Posted by JimH2
You need to see how your State handles claims like that. In Oregon, you choose whatever auto repair shop you want, and the insurance company and that auto repair shop finalize the correct payment to get the job done. It used to work where they went w/ the cheapest bid, but rules have changed where you select the repair shop of choice. One does not even get bids in Oregon now. If in question, call your insurance carrier and ask them these questions or let them negotiate with the bus insurance carrier.
Yes, I will call my insurance and on thur I will go directly to the body shop I want and let them negotiate with the bus insurance company.

thanks
Old 01-05-11, 07:36 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

What I did last year when a 18 year old kid hit my car, I just call my insurance, tell them what happen, they gave me two options:

1. Pay the comprehensive deductible up front, and they will take care of everything. Repair the car and get the deductible back from the other party.

2. Contact the other party yourself, and fight with them.

I just told them to handle everything, your premium may go up, but less headache.

Quick Reply: need your advice