RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lost my BiXenon Function

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11 | 09:14 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

http://wikicars.org/en/Bi-xenon_Headlamps
Old 01-14-11 | 09:46 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Originally Posted by papaalex
Lexus must have set it up that high beams would not work on AUTO mode aside from using it only flash other vehicles Also the brand of the bulbs would not matter as long as you use a correct D4S bulb since like what Jim said our high beams are based on a shutter that adjust for the low and high beams

its bi-xeon bulb so it lights out of same housing/case. your problem/perception may have to do with auto-highbeam feature. if there are "bright" lights coming into your light sensor, it will turn-off/prevent high beam from coming on but "flashing" feature still works. For example, you are inside your home garage with garage lights on and facing the wall. Another; mall parking lot with bright street lights, or vehicles near your RX with headlights on. its sensative enough to prevent highbeam from working even in streets with street lights. Test it in places where there are absolutely no lights and your highbeam should work beautifully.
Old 01-14-11 | 09:51 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stw2046
The high beam of the rx350 is actually a different halogen bulb encased in the same hid housing. Good trick tho! And less headaches from a "real" bixenon bulb.
you are correct if you are referring to hi-lo xeon kit online for $50. our RX have bi-xeon meaning there are two conductor inside just like halogen bulb that has two filament. bi-xeon mean both low and hi is xeon.
Old 01-14-11 | 01:19 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Default Grand Prize Winner

Originally Posted by cwd
If I am correct, xenon lights do not have filaments, they use a high voltage arc to ignite the xenon gas inside the bulb and maintenance the gas reaction with a lower voltage afterward, much like a florescent bulb. That being said, most of the bi-xenon on the market now don’t have a high and low power beam. When in low beam mode, it is just a shutter blocking out the high beam.
CWD
You sir are correct .

That's about the best explanation I've seen yet.
Old 01-14-11 | 03:56 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cwd
If I am correct, xenon lights do not have filaments, they use a high voltage arc to ignite the xenon gas inside the bulb and maintenance the gas reaction with a lower voltage afterward, much like a florescent bulb. That being said, most of the bi-xenon on the market now don’t have a high and low power beam. When in low beam mode, it is just a shutter blocking out the high beam.
When I was a stagehand (close to 50 years ago!) I liked to work the spotlight from the rear of the auditorium. I would open the side of the light and insert two long carbon rods end to end with about an inch gap between them. I would then look through a sight glass similar to a welder's and turn a wheel that would move the rods closer. At some point an arc would develope and an intense light would project out of the light. I would back off on the wheel trying to find the minimum arc that would keep the light lit. The technology has moved ahead, but that is the principle that bi-xenons work under. (I'll bet they even have a tiny elf in there cranking that wheel )
Old 01-15-11 | 10:32 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Actually it wasn't a job. I was in 9th grade and I was asked to do it in school. It was not only fun, but it got me out of a lot of classes! I think they asked me because they knew I was into "techie" types of things since I was a ham radio operator. It was a lot of fun.
Old 01-15-11 | 12:25 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Interesting.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 09-25-24 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-15-11 | 12:34 PM
RXSF

Bi-Xenon just refers to using the HIDs for low and high beam.

Interestingly, the IS has Bi-Xenons AND halogen high beams. The amount of light those cars put out with the high beams on is incredible.
Dont these two contradict each other? Like the IS, the RX (and ES) only use xenon bulbs for low beam and a halogen bulb for the highbeam. the DRL is the halogen bulb in low output. Thus, they really are not true bi-xenon.
Old 01-15-11 | 12:39 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Dont these two contradict each other? Like the IS, the RX (and ES) only use xenon bulbs for low beam and a halogen bulb for the highbeam. the DRL is the halogen bulb in low output. Thus, they really are not true bi-xenon.
as cwd posted
"most of the bi-xenon on the market now don’t have a high and low power beam. When in low beam mode, it is just a shutter blocking out the high beam."

The RX has the shutter and an HID bulb used for both high and low beam.No halogen bulb high beam.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-15-11 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-15-11 | 12:54 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
as cwd posted
"most of the bi-xenon on the market now don’t have a high and low power beam. When in low beam mode, it is just a shutter blocking out the high beam."

The RX has the shutter and an HID bulb used for both high and low beam.
And to add to what you posted, when the headlights are on (with the HID option), the DRL's turn off and only the HID Xenon's and maybe the fogs are burning.

And agreement to what another poster said re: flashing the bulbs is not good for their life expectancy. I don't. In fact, I may start turning my switch to completely off when shutting down in the garage. Otherwise they turn on every time for a few seconds until I'm backed out into the daylight. With care to avoid 'short' burn times they may last forever .
Old 01-15-11 | 01:03 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cruiter
And to add to what you posted, when the headlights are on (with the HID option), the DRL's turn off and only the HID Xenon's and maybe the fogs are burning.

And agreement to what another poster said re: flashing the bulbs is not good for their life expectancy. I don't. In fact, I may start turning my switch to completely off when shutting down in the garage. Otherwise they turn on every time for a few seconds until I'm backed out into the daylight. With care to avoid 'short' burn times they may last forever .
,Jim!
Old 01-15-11 | 01:12 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

With care to avoid 'short' burn times they may last forever .
Hope that they last forever! A problem developed with the BiXenons on my Audi and they had to replace both. The total cost was over $1000!! They offerred me something called "dealer participation" that brought it down to $500. I just got a letter from Audi that is now covering them under warranty so I should be getting a check.

The bottom line is that you want to take care of those things. They are not cheap to replace!!
Old 01-15-11 | 06:59 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
Hope that they last forever! A problem developed with the BiXenons on my Audi and they had to replace both. The total cost was over $1000!! They offerred me something called "dealer participation" that brought it down to $500. I just got a letter from Audi that is now covering them under warranty so I should be getting a check.

The bottom line is that you want to take care of those things. They are not cheap to replace!!
I've got a feeling not much on these cars 'IS' cheap. Yep, thoughtful care in the operation is the way to go. And I'll probably want to keep it past the 5 year bumper to bumper too.
Old 01-15-11 | 07:03 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I've got a feeling not much on these cars 'IS' cheap. Yep, thoughtful care in the operation is the way to go. And I'll probably want to keep it past the 5 year bumper to bumper too.
4/50 bumper to bumper.
Old 01-15-11 | 07:04 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

double post

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-15-11 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Lost my BiXenon Function