RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lost my BiXenon Function

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 08:15 PM
papaalex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost my BiXenon Function

Hi guys, can someone explain to me why my high beams function stopped working after I changed my OEM HIDs to 6000K. Was there something that I accidentally unhooked or is the replacement HID unable to support BiXenon function? By the way I upgraded my HIDs to Garax 6000k..
Old 01-13-11, 05:31 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by papaalex
Hi guys, can someone explain to me why my high beams function stopped working after I changed my OEM HIDs to 6000K. Was there something that I accidentally unhooked or is the replacement HID unable to support BiXenon function? By the way I upgraded my HIDs to Garax 6000k..
On the HID's, the high/low beam function is actually a shutter that raises and lowers to expose the whole lamp or just half of it. Possibly that didn't get hooked up again ???
Old 01-13-11, 06:55 AM
papaalex
Lead Lap

Guys i somehow got it to work again. It started last night when i was driving home when i started to try testing how the high beams would look like on the road with the new HIDs on. When I started to push the light stick forward to turn it on, it would not activate and the fog lamps stay open. I tried this several times but still the high beams stayed on low beam mode. When I tried pulling the stick toward me it would activate the high beams (flashing mode) but would not turn on if i push it forward. When I was trying to ask other forums somebody mentioned that high beams dont work on AUTO mode. So when I turned the light dial to the ON mode (3rd click from OFF), high beams work again

Lexus must have set it up that high beams would not work on AUTO mode aside from using it only flash other vehicles Also the brand of the bulbs would not matter as long as you use a correct D4S bulb since like what Jim said our high beams are based on a shutter that adjust for the low and high beams
Old 01-13-11, 08:09 AM
stw2046
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The high beam of the rx350 is actually a different halogen bulb encased in the same hid housing. Good trick tho! And less headaches from a "real" bixenon bulb.
Old 01-13-11, 09:29 AM
zak21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stw2046
The high beam of the rx350 is actually a different halogen bulb encased in the same hid housing. Good trick tho! And less headaches from a "real" bixenon bulb.
This is completely untrue for the HID RX versions, it is indeed Bi-xenon.
Old 01-13-11, 09:36 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by papaalex
Guys i somehow got it to work again. It started last night when i was driving home when i started to try testing how the high beams would look like on the road with the new HIDs on. When I started to push the light stick forward to turn it on, it would not activate and the fog lamps stay open. I tried this several times but still the high beams stayed on low beam mode. When I tried pulling the stick toward me it would activate the high beams (flashing mode) but would not turn on if i push it forward. When I was trying to ask other forums somebody mentioned that high beams dont work on AUTO mode. So when I turned the light dial to the ON mode (3rd click from OFF), high beams work again

Lexus must have set it up that high beams would not work on AUTO mode aside from using it only flash other vehicles Also the brand of the bulbs would not matter as long as you use a correct D4S bulb since like what Jim said our high beams are based on a shutter that adjust for the low and high beams
My car has Auto High-Beams. I don't know if this is standard or came with the Luxury Package. Nine times out of ten, when I push the stalk forward in auto, the high beams won't come on. It just enables the Auto High-Beam function. The forward light sensor is very sensitive. I pretty much have to be driving down an unlit highway for the highs to activate. By twisting the headlights to "ON", I can disable the Auto High-Beams and the stalk operates normally.
Old 01-13-11, 03:02 PM
stw2046
Driver

Originally Posted by zak21
This is completely untrue for the HID RX versions, it is indeed Bi-xenon.
YOU CAN GO TO ANY PARTS DEPT OF THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY WILL SHOW YOU A DIAGRAM FROM THEIR REPAIR MANUAL. I AM VERY POSITIVE ABOUT THIS SO CALLED "HYBRID" DESIGN.

P.S. DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO BACK YOU UP?
Old 01-13-11, 03:06 PM
stw2046
Driver

Originally Posted by cwd
i thought so, i have never heard of a hybrid hid halogen bulb before. Thanks for clearing that up zak21.
read my quote to zak21 please. I don't think he knows what he's talking about. You can go to the dealership to clarify that. I am 100% positive.

P.s seems like most of you "wanna believe" it's bi-xenon. Lol.....
Old 01-13-11, 03:50 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

From the Lexus website when building a RX

Bi-Xenon™ High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
Old 01-13-11, 04:24 PM
papaalex
Lead Lap

As far as I know the HID equipped RX350 are BiXenons, i didnt see any other replaceable bulb when I replaced my HID bulb; on the otherhand our DRLs are only DRLs and dont function as high beam unlike on the 2nd gen IS models.
Old 01-13-11, 06:14 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone must have the non-HID version!
Old 01-13-11, 07:17 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

read my quote to zak21 please. I don't think he knows what he's talking about. You can go to the dealership to clarify that. I am 100% positive.

I'll join the club of owners that know what we have with the HID's. It's HID through and through. The halogen's are a different lamp assembly.
There is one bulb on each side period. The intensity does not change, a shutter moves up and down for high and low beam.
Old 01-13-11, 07:29 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

there is nothing wrong with your highbeams. As Panyo noted, when you are in AUTO mode and you push the stick forward, you are activating the auto high beam as well, and if there is sufficient light on the road, it will not turn on. You have to go to a dark alley with no lights in order for them to come on in auto mode.
Old 01-14-11, 08:22 AM
zak21
Driver School Candidate

Edit: proof

I did read your quote and your still completely wrong. Do YOU have any proof!

Like others have said there are three types of headlight assemblies for the RX
1. Halogen 2. Bi-Xenon HID 3. LED

So please stop propagating misinformation.

Thanks,

Last edited by zak21; 01-14-11 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 09:09 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

correct me if Im wrong, but bi xenon usually refers to two xenon bulbs per headlight, as in the high beam and low beam all use bi xenons. As a result, the RX doesnt have a true bi xenon set up, and they usually mislabel their website as such. im guessing other Lexus literature will be incorrectly stating this too

Quick Reply: Lost my BiXenon Function