RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

List your problems with the new RX please

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 11:48 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Divider for the console cupholder keeps coming out.

Some colour wear from the centre console.
Old 01-14-11, 12:06 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Good distinction RXSF

Design Flaws that stand out to me:
- Lack of illumination for Garage/Light overhead console buttons
- Lack of protection under front bumper for radiator which could result in damage from road debris (see here)
- No cigarette lighter on dash
- Remote start kills the engine when you open the door
- Lack of woodgrain dash

No problems yet. Great car, you'd be well advised to buy one.
Old 01-14-11, 07:11 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came from a Gen2 RX350 so I'm comparing redesign to the older car. There are a few little things that annoy me about the current RX. They're by no means a problem, and its quite subjective but this is what I think...

- Temperature buttons not labeled; there are the ^ and \/ arrows for changing temp, but nothing indicating TEMP. The passenger side is a little slanted too. New drivers will get confused in the dark.

- Interior door handles not lit like Gen2 RX

- Illuminated door sills not standard like Gen2 RX

- Homelink buttons not lit like Gen2 RX

- Personal light buttons not lit; they should be, its hard to find them up there in that cluster of buttons, especially in the dark

- I wish it had climate controls for the rear seats, the Highlander has it standard.
Old 01-14-11, 07:19 AM
RA122022
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear L emblem

Originally Posted by kitlz
I had to replace the L emblem on the tail gate over the summer. It was blackening on the bottom under the clear cover.
I had the same problem - manufacturing glitch I assume.
Old 01-14-11, 08:55 AM
dadcat1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by koikoi
I had the same problem - manufacturing glitch I assume.
I had the same and only problem with the emblem on my 450h.
Old 01-14-11, 12:17 PM
bobett
Driver

Drivers outside rear view mirror, vibrated so badly it was unusable. Dealer replaced it
Old 01-14-11, 12:45 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my new RX 450h. I've had no major problems whatsoever. I do have a couple of interior rattles that I am confident my dealership can fix.

I do agree with the others though, I do wish the ceiling console buttons for the moonroof, Homelink etc. were lit. As well, I wish they had put foot well LED lights in like my IS 350 had. I liked seeing having the footwells lit.
Old 01-14-11, 03:31 PM
garfull
Rookie

i have to say my experience with the quality of my rx is sub par for a lexus. so here is my laundry list. mines is an early build so i would not assume this is common at all among any current rx's on the lot.

>alignment was off on delivery.
>front bumper issue, had tsb performed but still slightly misaligned
>rear sear headrests and center arm strap are crooked
>driver seat headrest stitching is inconsistent
>rear suspension squeeks
>sunroof misaligned
>rear door misaligned
>rattles from all the following places: tonneau cover, rear seat track, passenger seat track, driver seat belt buckle, rear hatch.

purchased new aug,09 and if i wouldnt lose an arm and a leg in depretiation, i would sell it or trade it in.

i do have to add that when the star and planets are in alignment and the world is at peace, the rx is the smoothest and quietest car ive ever driven.
Old 01-14-11, 09:50 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I came from a Gen2 RX350 so I'm comparing redesign to the older car. There are a few little things that annoy me about the current RX. They're by no means a problem, and its quite subjective but this is what I think...

- Temperature buttons not labeled; there are the ^ and \/ arrows for changing temp, but nothing indicating TEMP. The passenger side is a little slanted too. New drivers will get confused in the dark.

- Interior door handles not lit like Gen2 RX

- Illuminated door sills not standard like Gen2 RX

- Homelink buttons not lit like Gen2 RX

- Personal light buttons not lit; they should be, its hard to find them up there in that cluster of buttons, especially in the dark

- I wish it had climate controls for the rear seats, the Highlander has it standard.

All of these things like 07 LEXUSGUY said. After being very spoiled in the Second Gen 2007 RX, I feel the same way. On the 2010 RX, I also get the temperature up and down buttons mixed up with the up and down buttons to go to the next song on my iPod, as they are in the same spot above and below each other. I've also cussed out the location of the power plugs that are buried deep in the console a few times.
I'm also missing the sunglass holder for storing my sunglasses that used to be in the location where the Lexus Enform button is now.

But, other than a somewhat annoying rattle coming from one of the rear seats, the 2010 has been very solid with no problems.

Last edited by EMSLEXUSRX; 01-14-11 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-15-11, 12:45 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Wish you could put the 450 in EV mode more than you can now. But so far no interior rattles or anything else wrong with it.
Old 01-15-11, 04:20 AM
ejvette
Driver

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
I have had some problems...

-ipod scrolling is STILL an issue, my dealer is unable to fix. Others say they have had it fixed, and I think on the '11 models its a non issue.

-voice control is very poor. Does not recognize well at all.

-AC controls change randomly. I was able to repeat it at will. Not sure whats going on here.

Now those I would qualify as problems, and not too severe, but annoying on a $50k car.

There are a lot of design decisions that were made as far as the remote touch and ergonomics go that really tick me off.

-Remote Touch hardware is nice, but the UI is slow, and awkward.

-Can't turn Dual off without going into the menu system!

-Sun roof buttons are... dumb. If I have the roof popped up and want to slide it back, I have to pop it down first, then slide it back with another button. Not a huge deal, but I had a $13k Civic when I was younger that got this right!

-Garage door buttons and map light buttons are not illuminated and can be hard to find.

-The forward/back buttons on the steering wheel are reversed from those on the dash.

-The center console storage space is a giant black hole.

There are plenty of things I still like about the car though - ride, materials, but we wish we had not traded in our Murano, the Lexus quality is honestly not really that much better to have to put up with these little quirks.

Oh well, live and learn. Funny thing is I really never had issues with my 06 IS250, but then again it did not have NAV.
WOW if you can't tell the difference between a Lexus and a Murano you should have got yourself another Honda civic because this vehicle was a waste of your money lol.

My only complaint is the garage door buttun not illuminated it's hard to find at night.
Old 01-15-11, 04:33 AM
ejvette
Driver

I came out of a GS350 now there was a car plagued with problems Lexus really dropped the ball on that vehicle but the RX is their bread and butter car and I think it's great yes there are some minor design flaws but who here has owned a vehicle that they would call perfect in every way (except the clown that thinks his Murano is a better car than the RX). I have owned many high end vehicles from BMW to Mercedes and now Lexus and every vehicle I have owned has had their short comings. With the RX the plus colum by far out weighs the minus colum. Now that's my 2 cents
Old 01-15-11, 05:16 AM
klopez3709
Rookie

My favorite vehicle EVER! No complaints from here.
Old 01-15-11, 10:03 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Default Rattles

This is the Lexus I have owned that rattled and does it ever.
Old 01-15-11, 10:36 AM
VET4LES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
I have had some problems...

-ipod scrolling is STILL an issue, my dealer is unable to fix. Others say they have had it fixed, and I think on the '11 models its a non issue.

-voice control is very poor. Does not recognize well at all.

-AC controls change randomly. I was able to repeat it at will. Not sure whats going on here.

Now those I would qualify as problems, and not too severe, but annoying on a $50k car.

There are a lot of design decisions that were made as far as the remote touch and ergonomics go that really tick me off.

-Remote Touch hardware is nice, but the UI is slow, and awkward.

-Can't turn Dual off without going into the menu system!

-Sun roof buttons are... dumb. If I have the roof popped up and want to slide it back, I have to pop it down first, then slide it back with another button. Not a huge deal, but I had a $13k Civic when I was younger that got this right!

-Garage door buttons and map light buttons are not illuminated and can be hard to find.

-The forward/back buttons on the steering wheel are reversed from those on the dash.

-The center console storage space is a giant black hole.

There are plenty of things I still like about the car though - ride, materials, but we wish we had not traded in our Murano, the Lexus quality is honestly not really that much better to have to put up with these little quirks.

Oh well, live and learn. Funny thing is I really never had issues with my 06 IS250, but then again it did not have NAV.
I have no quality issues with our 2011 RX350 but I do agree with most of the above design flaws. One additional item is the road noise from the all weather tires.

Quick Reply: List your problems with the new RX please