RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

is the Hybrid really worth the price difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 09:53 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Purchasing a new hybrid vs. a used one creates a lot of different scenarios. One would not likely want to purchase a hybrid that is 10 years old or for that matter is older than 8 years old since it is out of it's warranty period for the battery packs. That would be a huge deterrent in my opinion.
Old 01-25-11, 10:41 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dong99
OK, let's look beyond environmental issue and get back to the original topic about the cost of hybrid. Seriously, I do not understand why hybrid will have higher resale value than its equivalent version that has ICE powered by gas only...
I'll let you know in about 33 months when my lease is up - at that time I'll have to make the decision of whether to turn in or buy it out. If resale is lower than residual, I'll turn in; if resale is higher than residual, I'll buy it. Then you'll have the answer to your $54,000 question. . .
Old 01-25-11, 08:17 PM
Dong99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You won't know when the tranny or engine will have to be replaced either.
Yes, that is an uncertainty. However, Toyota has over 30 years of history to show the world that the probability of need a tranny or engine is relatively small. One the other hand, there is no real world experience how long a NiMH battery pack will last beyond 10 years, at least not yet.

Originally Posted by JimH2
Purchasing a new hybrid vs. a used one creates a lot of different scenarios. One would not likely want to purchase a hybrid that is 10 years old or for that matter is older than 8 years old since it is out of it's warranty period for the battery packs. That would be a huge deterrent in my opinion.
I agree with you 100% - so this begs the question, if no one is willing to buy a 10 year old hybrid, what will be resale value for these hot potato?

Originally Posted by The X Men
So what is going to happen to all the 8-10 year old hybrids? Do all hybrid owners sells their car right around 5 years old to avoid battery pack issue that lower the resale price.
My guess is that there will be cost effective options when most Hybrids get that old. For example, when the 1st Prius came out, the NiMH battery pack cost something like $5000, now they are down to $2000 to $3000. Perhaps in another 5 years, there will be a option for a Lithium upgrade, which should last longer than 10 years.
I would not count on lithium battery yet, there is no mass produced lithium battery for automobile use yet, although quite a few auto manufactures are diligently working on this. Even they do produce affordable lithium batteries at certain point in the future, I am not sure if I want one. The reason is simple: none of my lithium battery (in laptops or digital cameras or PDAs or cell phones) lasted more than 2 years, on the other hand, I have NiMH batteries still working after 4 to 5 years. However, I personally never have any rechargeable battery last more than 10 years. Also different battery types will require different battery management systems, I am pretty sure I am not going to pay for that on a 10 year old car.
Old 01-25-11, 08:48 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

One the other hand, there is no real world experience how long a NiMH battery pack will last beyond 10 years, at least not yet.
the Prius and Honda Insight have been around since 1997, which means we have been using those battery packs for 13 years. Of course, I dont have the data on how many of those 1997 hybrids are still running, but I have a feeling that at least some are.

I would not count on lithium battery yet, there is no mass produced lithium battery for automobile use yet,
Tesla has been using Li-ion batteries for the last 3 years or so. They are also used in the Mercedes S class hybrid, the Nissan Leaf, and the Chevy Volt.