RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Pop/Crack When Closing Power Rear Hatch (LSB-0031-10) + Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-11, 09:52 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop/Crack When Closing Power Rear Hatch (LSB-0031-10) + Damage

Along with my 15K service, I had the dealer investigate a popping/cracking sound when closing my power rear hatch.

The replaced the motor per LSB-0031-10. They also had to re-weld the bolt that holds it on as it had sheared off.

Unfortunately, they also marred many of the plastic panels in the rear--I'm guessing they have to remove these to get to the motor and bolt.

I've attached some photos here.

It appears that panels were forcibly pried off with screwdrivers, clips were broken, and a rubber gasket was torn. Few of the pieces sit flush with each other any more--and those that do are visibly marred. Someone knew they did something wrong, as I found two small broken plastic pieces sitting in my cup holder up front. I'm guessing these have something to do with the large gaps in the rear side panels.

In addition to all of this, there were black smudges and footprints all over the inside of my vehicle.--including door panels, plastic trim near the doors, and even the ceiling. There was also a copy of Motor Trend Magazine smashed in the back seat and a completely empty fuel tank upon my arrival. I was able to clean most of the smudges off, but I think all this is indicative of the poor treatment my vehicle received while in the shop.

I'm waiting to talk to the dealer on Monday. I'm just really pissed that I've taken such meticulous care of my vehicle only to have a Lexus dealer treat it like this.
Attached Thumbnails Pop/Crack When Closing Power Rear Hatch (LSB-0031-10) + Damage-rear1.jpg   Pop/Crack When Closing Power Rear Hatch (LSB-0031-10) + Damage-rear2.jpg   Pop/Crack When Closing Power Rear Hatch (LSB-0031-10) + Damage-rear3.jpg   Pop/Crack When Closing Power Rear Hatch (LSB-0031-10) + Damage-rear4.jpg   Pop/Crack When Closing Power Rear Hatch (LSB-0031-10) + Damage-rear5.jpg  

Old 01-22-11, 10:12 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

!!! too bad you didnt notice that before driving off the lot. Hope it gets cleared up.
Old 01-23-11, 01:00 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
!!! too bad you didnt notice that before driving off the lot. Hope it gets cleared up.
Unfortunately, I showed up just before closing and in a hurry to pick up the kids. I didn't have the chance for a full inspection--nor did I think to look back there since I didn't think they'd need to disassemble everything to get to the motor.
Old 01-27-11, 09:38 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't get satisfaction from the dealer, report it to Lexus. Just having dirty footprints, etc. is out of line with what you should expect from Lexus service, but having such a poor job done is intolerable. In fact,m lyou may consider reporting it to Lexus even if you do get it resolved. It should never have happened in the first place.

I had an issue with my old 2008 rear hatch which became apparant as the temperature warmed up. Sitting in the sun caused slight expansion of the hatch so there was noise and metal to metal contact when opening the hatch. They gave me a loaner, got replacement parts for where there was contact, painted and had the car ready for me and cleaned on the following day. That's more like the service you should expect. Also, there was no charge for what they did.
Old 01-27-11, 11:19 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

They sent the shop foreman to my house to look at the vehicle and order the parts. They will call me to come back when the parts are ready (at least this saves me a trip). I'm not happy that this dealer is not near my house and I have to drive there a third time to get this done.

They blamed the damage on the body shop they sent the vehicle to for welding the broken bolt on but said they would accept responsibility. The damage is not major, and I saw some eye-rolling when the guy looked at my car. However, I just don't think it's right that I baby my car and then the dealer comes along and haphazardly removes panels and dirties up the interior.

I requested that they not wash the vehicle when I picked it up. I detail my car on a regular basis and don't want anyone else scratching the paint. This explains part of the reason why the door sills and other parts of the interior were so dirty. However, I think the sheer number of dirty areas is an indication of how little they care about the car while they're working on it. When I get in to the car, I step right on the floor mat, to avoid marring the plastic sill. Hence my dismay at seeing four completely black sills upon pickup, indicating that each had been stepped on multiple times. Coupled with the rolled up magazine left in the car and the scratched/broken panels, I was not happy.

i don't think simply fixing things is enough. I'm going to request accommodation (i.e.. free) service on my next visit at 20K. If they refuse, I'll be telling Lexus corporate all about it. In essence, I just paid $235 for a tire rotation, air filter change, and vehicle inspection (not to mention the additional $850 for tires and a navigation update). If this doesn't include "Lexus" customer service, then there's no reason to pay the premium.
Old 01-27-11, 01:39 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

The "freebies" wouldn't be for the lack of cleaning, but for damaging the panels and making me come back to get it fixed.

I'm not complaining that the car wasn't cleaned when I picked it up. I'm mad that it was that dirty in the first place. There's no reason for them to step on my door sills 100 times--or if there is, at least lay down a mat to prevent scratches and dirt.

It's also not cool to rub dirty hands on areas of the car (ceiling, homelink buttons, etc.) that are nowhere near the area you worked on. I also didn't appreciate the dirty, rolled up magazine they left in the car and the completely empty fuel tank.
Old 01-27-11, 01:49 PM
k9shelly1
Driver

I would think that the Lexus dealership would inspect the vehicle upon return in the event they had to send it out to get fixed. It is ultimately going to come back to them as the repair shop works for them.
Old 01-27-11, 03:38 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah...the memories!

A service writer who's only comment was always, "I've NEVER seen that before"...mechanics who never had the part on hand and had to order it...subcontracting body work to shops that had no idea how to match relatively-new-and-unfaded factory paint colors...leaving grease marks all over the headliner, leather seats, and carpeting...man, those WERE the days!

Of course, that's when we had a Dodge Not-So-Grand Caravan...or, as my wife diplomatically put it..."The Van of Death." It tried to kill her several times (both rear door gas struts sheared off at the same time and the hatch slammed itself shut when she was just a few feet away - and about to have our dog jump in...after that was fixed, the rear window glass shattered when she closed the hatch normally...anti-lock brake controller failed and she had to drive up an incline offramp to stop the vehicle...the list goes on).

The best part, of course, is when I'd take it back to the dealer and the service writer would say that they never saw xxxxx happen before. Millions of Dodge minivans sold and we, apparently, had the ONLY one with such problems. This was before they recalled millions of NotSoGrands for...defective anti-lock brake controllers, defective fasteners in the rear hatch gas strut mounts and so on.

But to see this happen to a Lexus owner...for shame Lexus, for shame!! Are you the new Dodge?
Old 01-27-11, 06:26 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to ask what dealership in AZ.

I go to Arrowhead Lexus and I have never had a problem. They are old school and believe that the customer is always right and they treat you car like a Lexus, not a Chevy.

I would be fuming if they did that to my car.
Old 01-27-11, 10:24 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

This was at Lexus of Chandler. Arrowhead Lexus is really far from my house (but maybe worth the drive for my next service visit...)
Old 01-28-11, 06:48 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on that one. The vehicles are the same but the service is the key. I'll make sure I let all know of your experience. I do hope you get it resolved.
Old 01-28-11, 09:21 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Service advisor just told me that one of the parts won't be available for a few weeks still, since they have to order it from Japan. Sheesh...
Old 01-29-11, 01:43 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
Hmmm, I am going to play the devil's advocate here. You complain that they dirty your car, but you instruct them not to clean it or wash it.
There are two issues in play here; one is the exterior of the car which the OP prefers to wash him/herself, while the other is the mess they made inside, which I think the OP would have preferred they clean up. I feel the same way about forbidding the dealer to wash the exterior, however I'm OK with them vacuuming and wiping down the interior.
Old 01-29-11, 02:04 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I do not let the dealer wash my car and do not want them cleaning if that is what they call it the inside. I think the big point here is they let the body shop do all the work and will charge Lexus for removing the parts for the body shop. However they screwed that up big time. Can you see where they fixed the car did they do a good job or just try to get by because no one would see it. Post this on face book and Lexus will be calling you
Old 01-29-11, 10:02 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The X Men
By no mean am I saying that what the dealer did here was right. All I am saying is that everyone have difference standards when it comes to their car. Some are more realistic than others and one should not expect the dealers to live up to unrealistic standards.
I don't think it's "unrealistic" to expect the dealer to return my car undamaged...

Quick Reply: Pop/Crack When Closing Power Rear Hatch (LSB-0031-10) + Damage