RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Can we count on future software update on RX beautiful computer ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 03:54 PM
eeugene
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can we count on future software update on RX beautiful computer ?

Hello, RX350 community. It's my first post/question here

It was many posts here about lack of design in 2010 RX350. When I boughtmy 2010 RX, i made about 30 "lack of design" notes (actually I love the car ).

I worry about some software defects on RX beautiful computer:

On the computer - From home page click icon DESTINATION - instead of Destination page - Map opens. Go to Home again and click . . . Sometimes can get Destination page from third or forth time. ! ! ! - it really annoying.

Sombody have it? It's a lot more things with this computer. I don't want to list all of them now. Some defects already was discussed here.
I am interesting if somebody heard about possable software update. How Lexus treat us?

For example, if you buy computer with first release of MS Windows 7 (or first release of iPhone or any electronic device) and you see some bugs there, you should not worry - we all pretty sure that company will release patch soon and you will be notifyed that you can update it.

When I tryed to speak about that to dealer or some people in service - they look at me like I say something wierd.

If Lexus finally installed 12 volt power socket under console in 2011 RX - that's fine - I don't mean they should make it in my 2010 RX, but software - I am sure they must fix their bugs and do it like they do recalls.

So, did anybody hear any rumors about that, got some info from dealer, etc... ?

(also: clock settings - set automatically - does not work, bad scrollbars logic on music page, no temperater control on climat page, poor GPS design - any $150 GPS has more cocpit info, convert units from miles to KM - confusing and some more...)

Best regards
Eugene
Old 01-27-11, 04:21 PM
skiphoyt
Driver School Candidate

Default I was also misled....

First Lexus....2011 RX450h, replacing our BMW 535xit (wagon)....I noticed this during test drive and sales guy said, the Voice Recognition is all you will need! Right....9 out of 10 time, no matter what I say she always comes back with "Home"! Also the annoying gray out in motion is a waste. Just ordered the bypass from Prestigious Society...hope this will help. Even with this annoyance we do love it. Thanks for all the positive posts I read before purchasing but I did miss the complaints about the Navigation. Lexus, are you listening?
Old 01-27-11, 04:41 PM
eeugene
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, The X Men, but in my question I mean something else. If I have defect - something don't work - sure they will fix it.
Some things that I consider as defect, other people (and Lexus) can consider as "it's how it designed".

Another example:

Page "radio": if you have CD or USB source with multiple folders - on the right of "folder" two arrows - UP and DOWN. Click arrow UP and you will play next folder. I expect to play previouce.
If I click on folder itself - Folder page displayed with scrollbar, where button UP - lead you to previouce folder.
Open your laptop - you always expect if click up scrollbar arrow - you get previouce page. Roght ?

Page Climate Control - click fan low (on the screen) and finally all buttons become disable and you don't have a way to start fan again. Only by buttons on the console. Unacceptable software disighn !!!

This kind of defects - I consider as defects also, but Lexus - not. I don't say "Lexus , immidiately fix it to me", but if they change logic toward improvments on next release - I want to have that patch. It's what I mean.

Besr regards,
Eugene
Old 01-27-11, 07:34 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by eeugene

Sombody have it? It's a lot more things with this computer. I don't want to list all of them now. Some defects already was discussed here.
I am interesting if somebody heard about possable software update. How Lexus treat us?

When I tryed to speak about that to dealer or some people in service - they look at me like I say something wierd.

Best regards
Eugene
Welcome aboard...

We have plenty of time, let's see your list...

Dealers sell cars that happen to have many computers. I don't necessary expect them to know about iPod scrolling or GPS or Voice Commands. The complicated transmission...oh yeah baby they better know about that.

Anyway let's see your list, would like to talk about it. Oh I know destination is a pain when it takes me to that instruction page and then the map.
Old 01-28-11, 09:08 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Eugene,

I am a software designer and reading your complains about "defects" makes me wonder.

Defect is when the things don't do what they are designed to do. If they do differently then what you are expected then I believe that is just design preferences. Is it defective if you have to click Start in order to shutdown your PC?

If you think your RX's software is malfunction then please list it here so we can confirm that. Also, have your dealer look into it.
Old 01-28-11, 03:47 PM
ejvette
Driver

Originally Posted by skiphoyt
First Lexus....2011 RX450h, replacing our BMW 535xit (wagon)....I noticed this during test drive and sales guy said, the Voice Recognition is all you will need! Right....9 out of 10 time, no matter what I say she always comes back with "Home"! Also the annoying gray out in motion is a waste. Just ordered the bypass from Prestigious Society...hope this will help. Even with this annoyance we do love it. Thanks for all the positive posts I read before purchasing but I did miss the complaints about the Navigation. Lexus, are you listening?
Had the PS overide in my GS worked great I really hate the voice command crap its to frustrating but there is a new overide out for $115 vs $350 from prestigious society there is a detailed post in the GS forum very interesting I feel that $350 is a rip off.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ting-50-a.html
Old 01-28-11, 04:56 PM
lmcgeko
Driver School Candidate

Default Sub-standard Nav system on Rx-350

The Nav system is the worst I have ever used. It is so bad that when I try to use the voice command while driving, I need to select State. When I say Quebec - it translates to GO BACK.
When the state is set correctly from previous keyboard entry, Montreal
becomes waterfall, wakeland ... anything but Montreal.

I did send a compalint note to Lexus, and I got a reply saying that the system functioned as per specification.

Just did a trip to Atlantic city and the quickest route it gave me was a 170 km more than the TomTom and had me going from Montreal to Conrwall and back.
Go figure

The dealer is getting me the 10.1 was an upgrade. If it helps great, if not I have no choice but to take the legal route. At least I now found a place where other RX users can join forces to get Toyota to fix substandard software.
G

Originally Posted by eeugene

It was many posts here about lack of design in 2010 RX350. When I boughtmy 2010 RX, i made about 30 "lack of design" notes (actually I love the car ).

I worry about some software defects on RX beautiful computer:

On the computer - From home page click icon DESTINATION - instead of Destination page - Map opens. Go to Home again and click . . . Sometimes can get Destination page from third or forth time. ! ! ! - it really annoying.

For example, if you buy computer with first release of MS Windows 7 (or first release of iPhone or any electronic device) and you see some bugs there, you should not worry - we all pretty sure that company will release patch soon and you will be notifyed that you can update it.

If Lexus finally installed 12 volt power socket under console in 2011 RX - that's fine - I don't mean they should make it in my 2010 RX, but software - I am sure they must fix their bugs and do it like they do recalls.

So, did anybody hear any rumors about that, got some info from dealer, etc... ?

(also: clock settings - set automatically - does not work, bad scrollbars logic on music page, no temperater control on climat page, poor GPS design - any $150 GPS has more cocpit info, convert units from miles to KM - confusing and some more...)

Best regards
Eugene
Old 01-28-11, 04:59 PM
lmcgeko
Driver School Candidate

I suffer your anguish. My system is non usable.
Toyota came back to me with a letter saying that it functions as per spec.
I have talked to legal and if we can't get it to work after the map upgrade to 10.1, this is the only way forward.
Old 01-28-11, 06:18 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

If you have a problem with something on your Lexus post it on face book and you will get a answer fast. I got a call from them on my post