RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wiper Operation Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 06:11 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I glanced at the on-line manual this morning and learned rain sensing turns off when the temperature is too hot or too cold. Although being too hot currently is not a problem
Really?? Mine were working yesterday in the mid 20s with a light mist. There wasn't enough moisture on the windshield to clean it so I had to turn it on and off during the drive home. Using the washer was out of the question. The headlight washers were encased in ice. I always make sure I turn off the rain sensing wipers when I leave the RX in this weather. I don't need to find out how much the motor costs the hard way
Old 02-02-11, 06:20 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like them so much in my 2005 RX that I made sure they were going to be in my 2011 450h. They work fine in Mobile with our 65" + of rain every year.
Old 02-02-11, 06:21 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
But if you have to manually activate the wiper from time to time, then its not really a convience feature, you might as well just have a manual intermittent mode where you set it once and forget it.
I manually activate the wipers once before I start to drive during a light mist. That's enough to make the rain sensing wipers work after that.
Old 02-02-11, 06:31 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Jim, you've always had a special car! Most of us lost the intermittent setting when we got rain sensing.

I glanced at the on-line manual this morning and learned rain sensing turns off when the temperature is too hot or too cold. Although being too hot currently is not a problem
Mine was one of the 1st production models built during May 2009 and I got it the day it arrived at the dealership in late June.

I don't have some of the things produced today like the home link, but I do have many features I use and love you can't get anymore like the drop down sun glass holder and auto hi-beam. It's not perfect but sometimes I wasn't either . Anyway a few months later they started changing equipment around. I like mine. And it still say's 'Lexus' on the tail gate too .
Old 02-02-11, 06:56 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Mine was one of the 1st production models built during May 2009 and I got it the day it arrived at the dealership in late June.

I don't have some of the things produced today like the home link, but I do have many features I use and love you can't get anymore like the drop down sun glass holder and auto hi-beam. It's not perfect but sometimes I wasn't either . Anyway a few months later they started changing equipment around. I like mine. And it still say's 'Lexus' on the tail gate too .
Nobody has yet to produce the vehicle that will satisfy everyone!!

We know you are not perfect Jim, but we would like to keep you around anyhow!!
Old 02-02-11, 07:01 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I got the auto hi-beam on my 2011 450 that was made on the 13th of October with the LED Headlamps
Old 02-02-11, 07:57 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Really?? Mine were working yesterday in the mid 20s with a light mist. There wasn't enough moisture on the windshield to clean it so I had to turn it on and off during the drive home. Using the washer was out of the question. The headlight washers were encased in ice. I always make sure I turn off the rain sensing wipers when I leave the RX in this weather. I don't need to find out how much the motor costs the hard way
Here's the paragraph from the on-line manual. 20 degrees isn't cold enough to stop them from working. Believe me if my windshield is 194 degrees, I AIN'T going to be driving. Even with eco mode off, the AC is gonna have trouble!!

In extremely hot or cold weather(vehicles with rain-sensing windshield wipers)
The rain-sensing wiper operation will turn off if the windshield gets extremely hot (at more than 194°F [90°C]) or cold (at less than 5.0°F [-15°C]). If the windshield wipers cease operation while in AUTO mode, change to a mode other than AUTO.
Old 02-02-11, 04:04 PM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
By putting the auto setting to what looks like an "o" or "O" on the stalk, this will turn off the rain-sensing mode and then allows you to use the intermittent function.
Of course, this is what the setting looks like on the 350. I'm not sure if the 450h is different.
Thanks for all the responses. I checked on page 196 of my manual and it clearly states that the "o" position is off not intermittent. I guess I don't have the old school intermittent feature. It's too bad, it seems some like the new rain sensing feature and some don't; i fall into the latter. I guess i'll just use the manual up swipe (how annoying over a 30 mile commute). i almost never use a wiper any more often than 5 seconds when driving in the city and 2 second when driving on the freeway. Regardless of sensitivity setting for me, it's wiping too fast for my taste.
Old 02-02-11, 07:21 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec26
Thanks for all the responses. I checked on page 196 of my manual and it clearly states that the "o" position is off not intermittent. I guess I don't have the old school intermittent feature. It's too bad, it seems some like the new rain sensing feature and some don't; i fall into the latter. I guess i'll just use the manual up swipe (how annoying over a 30 mile commute). i almost never use a wiper any more often than 5 seconds when driving in the city and 2 second when driving on the freeway. Regardless of sensitivity setting for me, it's wiping too fast for my taste.
Gonna bang my head on a wall
Old 02-02-11, 07:50 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really missing not having the sunglass holder up on top. I haven't found a safe and easy-to-access spot to put the sunglasses on the 2010, and I don't care for those flimsy gizmos that you clip on to the visor.

So auto-high beams are not available on the 2011 RX's that have the HID's?? I didn't know that. I kind of like that feature too.
Old 02-02-11, 08:50 PM
papaalex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
So auto-high beams are not available on the 2011 RX's that have the HID's?? I didn't know that. I kind of like that feature too.
I think its available and I do have the auto high beams equipped on the HIDs of my 2011.
Old 03-02-11, 03:07 PM
Barrington
Rookie

We just picked up a new 2011 RX350 and with the comfort package we got the HID lights, AFS lighting, Rain sensing wipers w/mist control, intelligent high beam system.
Old 03-19-11, 10:13 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

I installed Rain Tracker a few days ago, and very happy with it. It does auto rain sensing wiper perfectly, and also allows Intermediate/manual mode too.
Old 03-20-11, 07:58 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I have both on my RX 450h. To over ride the high beam system just put the lights switch from auto to headlight and I never get the one wipe from the system because I do not turn it to auto until it starts to rain