RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2011 AWD RX450h accelerating from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11 | 05:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Mkml63
Anita, I traded in a Mercedes ML63 AMG for the 450h. Other than losing a few seconds from 0-60mph, I don't miss the big Benz, especially spending $90/week on fuel. With the prospect of gas going to $5/gallon, the 450 was a choice I made with ease. I was at the dealership today and saw my ML63 in the showroom, I must say it is a looker
If the service department can solve the squeaky rattle, I can see a long relationship with the RX.
I thought that for 2011 Lexus no longer offered the sport suspension? I would've had that in a flash
I think you're right about the sport package with the different suspension. I tried to look it up on the Lexus website recently - too lazy to pull out the 2010 brochure It wasn't there. I dunno I like it. Same with paying less for gas. I can go two weeks without filling up and still have around half a tank left Still it pays to keep the foot light. Who needs to speed away from a stop light

I laugh when I see an ML AMG. Years ago my brother drove one at a Lexus event. They had a dirt hill to go up and down. He took it over the hill and when the rear wheels were just about to make the transfer from the hill to the level ground, all I heard was a scraping noise. Even my brother had an 'oh *****' look on his face. Priceless! They changed the grade at the bottom of the hill after that. Not sure what happened to the MB. Sure hope they took it off the track.

Have to ask, what were you doing at the MB dealer? The rattle on your RX can't be that bad
Old 02-14-11 | 07:04 PM
Mkml63
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by kitlz
I think you're right about the sport package with the different suspension. I tried to look it up on the Lexus website recently - too lazy to pull out the 2010 brochure It wasn't there. I dunno I like it. Same with paying less for gas. I can go two weeks without filling up and still have around half a tank left Still it pays to keep the foot light. Who needs to speed away from a stop light

I laugh when I see an ML AMG. Years ago my brother drove one at a Lexus event. They had a dirt hill to go up and down. He took it over the hill and when the rear wheels were just about to make the transfer from the hill to the level ground, all I heard was a scraping noise. Even my brother had an 'oh *****' look on his face. Priceless! They changed the grade at the bottom of the hill after that. Not sure what happened to the MB. Sure hope they took it off the track.

Have to ask, what were you doing at the MB dealer? The rattle on your RX can't be that bad
The squeak is pretty bad but of course today being a bit warmer it didn't squeak so much when I was at the dealership. I wasn't at the MB dealer, I was at the Lexus dealer, they still have my ML 63 in their showroom, nobody wants to buy it
My ML was a 2007, with height adjustable suspension, what year was his? Did he forget to raise it before going off road?
I remember reading in one of the car mags that Lexus dropped the sport suspension for model year 2011. So you have the sport suspension? I am desperately looking for aftermarket sway bars to decrease the roll of the RX, it's not too bad, just feel initial turn in has a bit too much roll, but then the RX takes a set and gets around the corner pretty well for something meant to be comfy transport.
The dealer said they would keep it another day because temps will drop tomorrow and maybe it will act up.
Maybe from my previous car you can tell that I don't really have a lite foot
But after driving the 450, I try to keep it in the green zone all the time and watch the on screen display of power usage, it's like playing a video game. I only get about 20-22 mpg but that's twice what I got before so I'm thrilled. I still fill up every week but it's only 1/2 a tank now.
Old 02-15-11 | 04:05 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The squeak is pretty bad but of course today being a bit warmer it didn't squeak so much when I was at the dealership. I wasn't at the MB dealer, I was at the Lexus dealer, they still have my ML 63 in their showroom, nobody wants to buy it
My ML was a 2007, with height adjustable suspension, what year was his? Did he forget to raise it before going off road?
I remember reading in one of the car mags that Lexus dropped the sport suspension for model year 2011. So you have the sport suspension? I am desperately looking for aftermarket sway bars to decrease the roll of the RX, it's not too bad, just feel initial turn in has a bit too much roll, but then the RX takes a set and gets around the corner pretty well for something meant to be comfy transport.
The dealer said they would keep it another day because temps will drop tomorrow and maybe it will act up.
Maybe from my previous car you can tell that I don't really have a lite foot
But after driving the 450, I try to keep it in the green zone all the time and watch the on screen display of power usage, it's like playing a video game. I only get about 20-22 mpg but that's twice what I got before so I'm thrilled. I still fill up every week but it's only 1/2 a tank now.
Mkml, my brother drove the ML AMG at a Lexus event back in May 2003 at the Greenwich Polo Club. Almost all Lexus models were there along with the competition. Talk about feeling like a kid at an amusement park! I had fun with the Range Rover, my brother drove the MB, including over the aforementioned hill. It wasn't pretty between that and all the mud. I wish Lexus would bring those events back. We had a great time.

Temps dropped so hopefully the dealer will find your rattle. Mine hasn't had any. Too bad about your MB I'm sure someone will feel bad and take him home. Can you say Manheim I agree it's hard to keep it light during acceleration The 450h can hold its own. I have the sport package. Not sure if that makes a difference on body roll. I'd have to drive another 450h to compare. I know it has tighter steering which I like

Half a tank a week doesn't sound bad. What's your high score? Mine is low too right now but I've gotten 34
Old 02-15-11 | 04:45 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

Talking

Mkml, my brother drove the ML AMG at a Lexus event back in May 2003 at the Greenwich Polo Club. Almost all Lexus models were there along with the competition. Talk about feeling like a kid at an amusement park! I had fun with the Range Rover, my brother drove the MB, including over the aforementioned hill. It wasn't pretty between that and all the mud. I wish Lexus would bring those events back. We had a great time.

Temps dropped so hopefully the dealer will find your rattle. Mine hasn't had any. Too bad about your MB I'm sure someone will feel bad and take him home. Can you say Manheim I agree it's hard to keep it light during acceleration The 450h can hold its own. I have the sport package. Not sure if that makes a difference on body roll. I'd have to drive another 450h to compare. I know it has tighter steering which I like

Half a tank a week doesn't sound bad. What's your high score? Mine is low too right now but I've gotten 34
Oh I love test driving cars I haven't been to an event for off roading, mine were all at racetracks, lead foot remember?
The 07' ML 63 was a very nice car, it just went through gas like a parched camel, and rode pretty hard. Sometimes after a long day at work I just wanted to get home but even in comfort setting, the ML rode way to hard. The dealer said right now no one wants to touch a car that gets 10mpg, my poor baby.....lol
Your RX with the sport suspension will have better roll control for sure, is your ride still comfy? I wish Lexus would offer those parts through the F sport line.
My 450 only has 1000+ miles on it and it's winter so my best has only been around 27mpg, and that was for a split second after coasting down a long hill right after refueling but I'm happy with that.
Old 02-15-11 | 04:54 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

Oh BTW, I also test drove a range rover, I don't know about the 03' model but the 10' was horrible, there was surprisingly little space inside for such a huge car, the ergonomics were awful. It did have power though, but as soon as I took a curve it was leaning like the tower of pizza. Totally not worth the 6 figure asking price, well it depends I guess, how much is status worth to you?
Old 02-15-11 | 10:48 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

Wink

Originally Posted by The X Men
Almost all the review say the sport package did not make much difference at all, maybe thats why Lexus discontinue it in 2011.
Have you run into any aftermarket tuners who offer suspension upgrades? I've only seen tuners who try to eek out more power or lower the car. To be honest, I don't think the 450 needs more power in it's present state of suspension tune
Old 02-15-11 | 11:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Oh BTW, I also test drove a range rover, I don't know about the 03' model but the 10' was horrible, there was surprisingly little space inside for such a huge car, the ergonomics were awful. It did have power though, but as soon as I took a curve it was leaning like the tower of pizza. Totally not worth the 6 figure asking price, well it depends I guess, how much is status worth to you?
As much as I love RRs and have a soft spot for them, I'll pass. I'm familiar with their problems - my sister has the Discovery and her husband used to sell RRs for many years. The gas mileage is abyssmal. And I haven't even touched the topic of maintenance at that price point

Getting back to topic, power is only going to take you so far. I laugh when I see quarter mile or HP comparos. What good is that going to do you in the snow? And is life that short you need to get there a few seconds quicker? The 450h has more than adequate power to respectfully launch from a stop or accelerate on to the highway with an ever so slight hesitation. But that's it. I can't even feel it anymore when I'm driving. Keep it slow and enjoy the ride
Old 02-15-11 | 12:14 PM
Mkml63
Rookie

As much as I love RRs and have a soft spot for them, I'll pass. I'm familiar with their problems - my sister has the Discovery and her husband used to sell RRs for many years. The gas mileage is abyssmal. And I haven't even touched the topic of maintenance at that price point

Getting back to topic, power is only going to take you so far. I laugh when I see quarter mile or HP comparos. What good is that going to do you in the snow? And is life that short you need to get there a few seconds quicker? The 450h has more than adequate power to respectfully launch from a stop or accelerate on to the highway with an ever so slight hesitation. But that's it. I can't even feel it anymore when I'm driving. Keep it slow and enjoy the ride
I agree with you, and think the 450 has more than adequate power. I'm just looking to button down the handling a bit. I seem to be in a tiny niche on this issue as The X Men has pointed out, I'm in a market that doesn't exist
Talk about maintenance, I paid $1200 for a front brake job on my ML, don't miss those days, though i would say the ML AMG was nicer than the RR
Old 02-15-11 | 12:21 PM
Mkml63
Rookie

There is no market for a performance suspension on a SUV like the Rx450h, the car is deisgn for fuel economy, not performance. The reason why there is no aftermarket performance suspension parts for a Prius
If I owned a prius I would be looking for suspension components for it as well I can't help it, I'm a racer and have always driven high performance cars and suv's, still have a 99' M3 for track and sunny days
Oh well, the 450 is very close, just needs a tiny bit more roll control, I'll keep looking, but I'm not disappointed
Old 02-16-11 | 08:14 PM
kona44
Driver School Candidate

Mkml63, I prefer the slight sluggishness as well. Gives us a few more fractions of a second to enjoy the 450h more Though in the end it really doesn't make a difference.

I don't even notice a difference accelerating from a stop or on to the highway. The 450h is plenty fast for me. It just takes some getting used to. I keep mine in eco all the time. Switching it off does make a noticeable diffference.

kona, just wondering what mean when you say you don't want the sports suspension? Maybe you thought VDIM was one of the features The sport package has the distinction of being able to turn off VDIM. Not that I know how or want to.
I choose VDIM sans S/S on a 2011 RX, because while I want vdim, my wife likes the RXs stock ride, so only the AWD 450h will give us this configuration to the best of my knowledge. Great question.
Old 02-17-11 | 04:50 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

Just out of curiosity, why did you buy the RX450h? Was it a rebound from your ML's terrible gas mileage? The RXh just doesn’t seem like your type of car. I like high performance cars as well, the RXh is my wife's car and I enjoy the comfortable ride once a while as a change of pace. A sway bar, shock or spring upgrade for the RXh will ruin the ride and it will not improve the handling that much since the suspension components itself is not design for high performance like say on a X5's suspension arms which is made from one piece cast aluminum. An then there is the lack of chassis rigidity and center of gravity, etc etc.
Well mileage definitely played a roll in my decision. The ML had it's shortcomings as well. I can't use all that power everyday safely on public roads, the ride really beat me up, even on comfort setting, sometimes after a long day, you just want to get home.
The 450 is good, solid, besides that damn rattle in the dash, everyday transport that gets good mileage for a CUV, it's also deceptively quick. However, everything can be tweaked to offer a more customized ride. I agree that springs would most likely ruin the ride, sway bars would not, they would just tighten up roll, vertical suspension travel, rebound and compression would not be affected. Don't forget that the RX has a double wish bone rear suspension, that's totally for improving handling. If i can't find anything, I'll still be happy with my choice of the 450. Bringing out the M3 from winter storage and blowing out the cobb webs . Can you say track season is open!!
Old 02-20-11 | 07:44 AM
kona44
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 AWD RX 450h acceleration

Originally Posted by kona44
Because I want VDIM without sports suspension, I'm considering a AWD RX450h. I test drove one briefly, but could not launch the car very well from a stop under petal to the metal conditions. I might of had some torque steer, even through it was AWD. After about 5mph, the electric torque kick in and was off to the races. What am I doing wrong to get the hybrid to accelerate like its gas version, the 350?

I'm not buying the car for light to light racing, but sometimes you just have to get away from a dead stop. Do hybrids have to be launched differently?
I want to thanks all the replies to my thread. Some of the answers were spot on, while others tangential, but still interesting. I have some more test drives, but I think a RX Hybrid is in the cards. Regards, kona44
Old 02-20-11 | 08:21 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

There is no market for a performance suspension on a SUV like the Rx450h, the car is deisgn for fuel economy, not performance. The reason why there is no aftermarket performance suspension parts for a Prius
that's not true, there are aftermarket performance parts for prius. in fact you can totally mod the smack out of it!

to see suspension parts for prius, click on link below, scroll down and click on the coilover picture:
http://www.aimgain.net/products/aero/30prius_hyb2.html

i believe there are aftermarket lowering springs or possibly coilovers in japan for our 3RX. it's just starting to come out now. not a lot of aftermarket support, but some.

Last edited by Stormforge; 02-20-11 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-20-11 | 08:28 PM
Mkml63
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stormforge
that's not true, there are aftermarket performance parts for prius. in fact you can totally mod the smack out of it!

and here's the suspension parts for the prius, coilovers no less!

more pics:

i do know that there are aftermarket lowering springs or possibly coilovers in japan for our 3RX. not a lot of aftermarket support, but some.
That's awesome, I knew I couldn't be the only 1!
Do you have any links to theses aftermarket companies?
I'd love to see a prius running Watkins Glen
Old 02-20-11 | 08:31 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

That's awesome, I knew I couldn't be the only 1!
Do you have any links to theses aftermarket companies?
I'd love to see a prius running Watkins Glen
for our RX? see the bodykit thread that was posted earlier, has all the pics of kits for our RX.

edit: see this link for RX bodykits
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-2010-rx.html

edit2: see the link below, and click on links to modded prius
http://www.aero-tech.co.jp/

Last edited by Stormforge; 02-20-11 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 AWD RX450h accelerating from a stop