RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2011 AWD RX450h accelerating from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 08:33 PM
kona44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 AWD RX450h accelerating from a stop

Because I want VDIM without sports suspension, I'm considering a AWD RX450h. I test drove one briefly, but could not launch the car very well from a stop under petal to the metal conditions. I might of had some torque steer, even through it was AWD. After about 5mph, the electric torque kick in and was off to the races. What am I doing wrong to get the hybrid to accelerate like its gas version, the 350?

I'm not buying the car for light to light racing, but sometimes you just have to get away from a dead stop. Do hybrids have to be launched differently?
Old 02-12-11, 09:01 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I think that ability was removed as part of the Toyota Anti-Sudden Acceleration Program called ASAP...as slow as possible.

Does anyone else know for sure?
Old 02-12-11, 09:09 PM
Mkml63
Rookie

I've only had my 450h for about a month but from my experience it seems like the electric motors are kicking in at the beginning of acceleration and it takes a sec for the engine to start and come into play, after that it's surprisingly peppy. I've learned to anticipate the need for max acceleration and get on the gas sooner than in a conventional petrol engine.
Old 02-12-11, 10:50 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

because the engine is not on, it takes the car a second to realize you want maximum power when you are at a dead stop. If you want the engine to be on, then press the brake, then press on the gas pedal with your other foot. Just a little will do, but this will make the engine kick in at a dead stop. then pedal to the metal
Old 02-13-11, 05:07 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kona44
Because I want VDIM without sports suspension, I'm considering a AWD RX450h. I test drove one briefly, but could not launch the car very well from a stop under petal to the metal conditions. I might of had some torque steer, even through it was AWD. After about 5mph, the electric torque kick in and was off to the races. What am I doing wrong to get the hybrid to accelerate like its gas version, the 350?

I'm not buying the car for light to light racing, but sometimes you just have to get away from a dead stop. Do hybrids have to be launched differently?
1st of all even though VDIM is listed as an available option on the standard RX, I doubt you'd find it on a dealers lot.
2nd, the RX 450h Hybrid is designed to give MPG performance and does operate slightly different than a non-hybrid. As previously stated, the engine doesn't operate at idle and won't until the vehicle is moving. But once it does you'll have plenty of performance especially if out of 'ECO' mode. It just takes getting used to a different style of driving for a different type of powertrain.

You shouldn't be disappointed though.
Old 02-13-11, 08:09 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Please remember though, the top end is electronically controlled to 112 MPH. So your stop light to stop light speed will have some limitations. I guess distance and safety would be a couple of others.
Old 02-13-11, 09:02 AM
pasi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
1st of all even though VDIM is listed as an available option on the standard RX, I doubt you'd find it on a dealers lot.
2nd, the RX 450h Hybrid is designed to give MPG performance and does operate slightly different than a non-hybrid. As previously stated, the engine doesn't operate at idle and won't until the vehicle is moving. But once it does you'll have plenty of performance especially if out of 'ECO' mode. It just takes getting used to a different style of driving for a different type of powertrain.

You shouldn't be disappointed though.

VDIM is standard with Rx450h, option with Rx350.
Old 02-13-11, 12:16 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Just out of curiosity, a while ago I found a vacant stretch of road and tried the two pedal to the metal techniques and couldn't really tell much of a difference. I understand the logic of having the ICE running, but flooring the accelerator pedal yielded similar take-offs (450h AWD) the ICE starts instantly and the rear motor must add the needed low end torque(?).
Old 02-13-11, 01:56 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the RX will never really be fast off the line, as with all lexus cars (except for the LFA and the ISF), it will take the car a second to realize that you want WOT. You will most certainly notice that .5 second delay because you get anything, and I imagine this would be worse with a hybrid when the ICE is off.
Old 02-13-11, 06:06 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember spending some time with an RX400h while my
'07 RX 350 was in for service, and I recall feeling that take-off from a stoplight felt like it required more aggressive pushing on the accelerator than it did with the RX350. But once you got it going, especially for passing on the interstate, the 400h was pretty darned quick! I had assumed the reason for the delayed reaction to pressing the gas pedal was due to the CVT tranny, since it has no shifts like the RX350 tranny.
Old 02-14-11, 07:15 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the 450h quicker to 60mph than the 350?
Old 02-14-11, 09:32 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the many sites that gives some values of 0-60 times, etc.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Lexus-0-60-mph-Times.html
Old 02-14-11, 09:41 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

Yeah, the acceleration time diff is so small that it's probably undetectable by the seat of your pants. 450 has more power but is a bit heavier. I agree with you about the more favorable weight distribution. I'm driving a 350 loaner today and it doesn't handle quite as well as my 450. Throttle is more touchy as well, maybe I'm used to the sluggish off the line response of the 450 which makes it feel smoother :P
Old 02-14-11, 11:50 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Mkml63, I prefer the slight sluggishness as well. Gives us a few more fractions of a second to enjoy the 450h more Though in the end it really doesn't make a difference.

I don't even notice a difference accelerating from a stop or on to the highway. The 450h is plenty fast for me. It just takes some getting used to. I keep mine in eco all the time. Switching it off does make a noticeable diffference.

kona, just wondering what mean when you say you don't want the sports suspension? Maybe you thought VDIM was one of the features The sport package has the distinction of being able to turn off VDIM. Not that I know how or want to.
Old 02-14-11, 01:10 PM
Mkml63
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by kitlz
Mkml63, I prefer the slight sluggishness as well. Gives us a few more fractions of a second to enjoy the 450h more Though in the end it really doesn't make a difference.

I don't even notice a difference accelerating from a stop or on to the highway. The 450h is plenty fast for me. It just takes some getting used to. I keep mine in eco all the time. Switching it off does make a noticeable diffference.

kona, just wondering what mean when you say you don't want the sports suspension? Maybe you thought VDIM was one of the features The sport package has the distinction of being able to turn off VDIM. Not that I know how or want to.
Anita, I traded in a Mercedes ML63 AMG for the 450h. Other than losing a few seconds from 0-60mph, I don't miss the big Benz, especially spending $90/week on fuel. With the prospect of gas going to $5/gallon, the 450 was a choice I made with ease. I was at the dealership today and saw my ML63 in the showroom, I must say it is a looker
If the service department can solve the squeaky rattle, I can see a long relationship with the RX.
I thought that for 2011 Lexus no longer offered the sport suspension? I would've had that in a flash

Quick Reply: 2011 AWD RX450h accelerating from a stop