RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Factory RSES Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 10:57 PM
Mossy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory RSES Control

Hello everyone. I'm in the middle of a purchase...will likely happen on Monday. I needed a RX350 AWD with Factory RSES (a must), comfort, premium, park assist. Dealer only has this config in Obsidian/Parchment and Tungsten/Black. So I'm trying to decide between the two--- leaning towards black. My heart had been set on matador red, but would likely require a special order.

In any case, I'm trying to find out if the factory RSES can also be controlled somewhat by the driver or passenger in the front (using audio controls, etc.) vs. only by the remote control in the back. Especially in the case of the rear passenger being a young child who wouldn't be capable of using the remote.

I currently have a buick enclave and while driving, i can pop in the DVD, fast forward through any previews and start the movie using the audio controls in the front. (I can do scene selection, etc., if i'm in park). My 5 y.o. son is just getting to the point where he can use the remote. But it'd be nice to know if he got stuck, I'd be able to help out from the front.

I pulled the owners manual from the My Lexus site, but it doesn't seem to indicate you can control from the front-- unless i'm missing it. Can anyone with the factory RSES please advise?

Thanks!

p.s. -- if anyone has an opinion on parchment vs. black interior with kids, i'm all ears!! black seems easier to keep clean but i assume will show scuff marks and any crumbs.
Old 02-26-11, 11:09 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome to CL!

I can chime in on the interior colors. I used to have a 99 RX300 which had the tan interior. It was a pain to keep clean (so I didn't) and after a while, not only do you get your blue jean dye on the seats, the creases in the leather eventually turn black and are very visible. Of course, this is only if you dont care for them, but I didnt used to be such a car nut back then. Anywhoo, after that experience, I decided that black was the only way to go. I got black interior on my 330 and now on my 450h. Its relatively classy looking, but may get boring. However, it doesnt require as much work (I wear jeans almost everyday). What does bother me is that in direct sunlight, the interior reveals different shades of black. i.e. the door panels are more of a dark purple black, and the seats are all black so it definitely looks weird (but only in direct sunlight)

as for matador red, did you ask your dealer to search the vicinity of your area (or even across states?). There could be one the way you want just sitting on the lot somewhere, or even on its way to the US and they could easily trade (a shipping cost to you if its already on the lot, but free if its about to leave the factory).

As for the RSES, Im willing to bet that it can only be controlled by the rear remote...but that is just a guess. I dont think any extra buttons are added on the dash, nor do I think the DVD player is hooked up to the audio screen on the nav
Old 02-27-11, 06:34 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a rx350 w/ a blue jean tinted tan driver's seat, especially the front left corner where i slide in/out

my previous suv was a grand cherokee w/ tan interior that didn't exhibit the blue jean staining, but the leather wasn't as soft as that in the rx
Old 02-27-11, 07:32 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can control all the functions up front. Even can watch videos up front with the override.

I had it over a year, and still not familiarize with all the buttons, since the remote is always in the back, I don't need to touch the controls at all.
Old 02-28-11, 05:52 PM
Mossy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your replies....

For the record, i pulled the trigger today and went with the tungsten pearl / black interior. I sat in that one and the obsidian/parchment and was totally smitten with the black interior. of course, it could be that i'm just bored with tan, since i've had it in 3 different SUVs over the last 10 years.

Also, i've never pictured myself in a silver vehicle, but with the crappy weather we've had in upstate ny this year, it was easy to look at the black and the tungsten side-by-side and know which color i better go with. i know i'll never keep the black clean.

I have to travel for a few days, so i'll pick it up on thursday after they finish prepping it and installing remote start. can't wait!!
Old 03-02-11, 07:22 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

good luck with your new car Black is just not the color for the South it gets way to hot had it in my truck and it was a long time for it to cool down. Place your system in audio with the nav and push down the parking brake and you can watch the dvd up front and change the settings as needed. enjoy your son as he goes up.
Old 03-04-11, 09:21 PM
MC5Wes

Default Rses

I have the RSES system in my RX. And it will be the last time. For the money I spent. I could have bought a box of WIFI iPads.
Old 03-05-11, 04:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo
good luck with your new car Black is just not the color for the South it gets way to hot had it in my truck and it was a long time for it to cool down. Place your system in audio with the nav and push down the parking brake and you can watch the dvd up front and change the settings as needed. enjoy your son as he goes up.
or get the prestigious society navi override kit, and you can watch dvd up front while driving (for the front passenger of course).
Old 03-05-11, 07:05 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Could not do that here they will not write you they take you to jail and make you post a bond to get out. They do not want you watching a dvd and driving here
Old 03-12-11, 10:10 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by billy44bo
Could not do that here they will not write you they take you to jail and make you post a bond to get out. They do not want you watching a dvd and driving here
Haha When i drove the IS with aftermarket DVD install. I inserted a XXX movie when i'm on the highway. Some truck drivers saw it and horned at me and "air" high five with me. Never got caught by the police or maybe i'm lucky.
P.s: Bostonian boy