RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Toothless??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 02:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Congrats ggravant. I had a chance to see the stargazer black in person. It looks sharp. I could see the bronze RXSF was talking about. You're brave with the snow. Do they still use sand on the roads?

Here are the sport wheels on my 450h.
Attached Thumbnails Toothless??-img_0164.jpg   Toothless??-dsc00263.jpg   Toothless??-dsc00289.jpg  
Old 03-05-11, 02:30 PM
ggravant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Congrats ggravant. I had a chance to see the stargazer black in person. It looks sharp. I could see the bronze RXSF was talking about. You're brave with the snow. Do they still use sand on the roads?

Here are the sport wheels on my 450h.
Looks great! As far as the roads - yes they still use "sand" but it is more like little pebbles these days. They just have started to use mag chloride as needed in addition. The sand is not good for front end paint, windshields, etc . I personally love the snow - the more the better

How do you like the 450h? We almost got one - the Boulderites would have given us lots of hugs, but we decided to stick with the 350. Maybe I can pick up some 450 badges ... just don't tell them, K?
Old 03-05-11, 03:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

LOL on the badges. Your secret is safe with me

I remember windshield replacement business was pretty big out there because of the sand. Then again you have no salt and low humidity, very good for cars. I took the bus most of the time when I lived in Denver. It was cheap and quick. Two block walk to the stop in the morning and Market Street Station was across the street from work. I chose Denver over a few other places because of the change of seasons including snow. I really enjoyed it. First experienced thunder snow the night before I moved back to NJ. The weather could be pretty wicked. I didn't make it up to Boulder. I can understand the fanatics though. So many healthy people out there. Even the bums like it

The 450h is great with all its toys. Mileage is a bonus. Can't go wrong with the RX. Have fun with yours.
Old 03-05-11, 03:52 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

As Anita shows, the RX is available with the graphite finish with the same 19 inch designs you have now for the gas RX and the 19s for the hybrid model.
Old 03-05-11, 04:15 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

RXSF, I believe the rim is seven spoke instead of five on the 350 sport. At least that's what the brochure says (19" seven spoke alloy wheels). Mine (19" split five spoke with superchrome finish) are a little lighter than the rims we had on our 330s. Johnny and Sandi K have the 350 sport. They might be able to give us more info.

Chrome is nice too
Old 03-05-11, 04:19 PM
ggravant
Driver

LOL on the badges. Your secret is safe with me

I remember windshield replacement business was pretty big out there because of the sand. Then again you have no salt and low humidity, very good for cars. I took the bus most of the time when I lived in Denver. It was cheap and quick. Two block walk to the stop in the morning and Market Street Station was across the street from work. I chose Denver over a few other places because of the change of seasons including snow. I really enjoyed it. First experienced thunder snow the night before I moved back to NJ. The weather could be pretty wicked. I didn't make it up to Boulder. I can understand the fanatics though. So many healthy people out there. Even the bums like it

The 450h is great with all its toys. Mileage is a bonus. Can't go wrong with the RX. Have fun with yours.
Yea - every city has its pluses and minuses. I actually grew up in Pittsburgh, so I do know about the salt and the long gray winter days. I do prefer the sun and the drier climate here for sure. The snow just makes it more interesting.
Old 03-05-11, 04:28 PM
Mossy
Driver School Candidate

Default Hiccup and Toothless

Originally Posted by ggravant
And anyone know why my daughter keeps calling the RX "Toothless"

Cheers

YES...I was wondering why Hiccup was in the driver's seat! Love the nickname. I have the factory RSES with 6-CD changer and the movie is currently in one of CD/DVD slots. My son loves it!!! Of course, the downside is that I can practically recite the script now...
Old 03-05-11, 04:33 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Yea - every city has its pluses and minuses. I actually grew up in Pittsburgh, so I do know about the salt and the long gray winter days. I do prefer the sun and the drier climate here for sure. The snow just makes it more interesting.
Yeah, what is it, 320 days of sunshine a year? Cleaner and prettier than the east coast too. The last time I was out there, I had the A/C on, in January 50 feels like 80. The only downside I found was being landlocked. Not that I was ever a Jersey shore person. I guess it's a mental thing

I wouldn't mind taking a drive through Rocky Mountain in the RX.
Old 03-05-11, 04:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Mossy
YES...I was wondering why Hiccup was in the driver's seat! Love the nickname. I have the factory RSES with 6-CD changer and the movie is currently in one of CD/DVD slots. My son loves it!!! Of course, the downside is that I can practically recite the script now...
Glad someone explained that. I was completely lost

I agree, the toothless nickname is cute. And it sure fits. Astute daughter you have there ggravant. My RX is Urkel because he's such a nerd. Now I'll have to add toothless too
Old 03-05-11, 05:46 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by Mossy
Haha - I wondered if anyone was going to comment on that . It is a very good movie, but I can feel for ya.

I have to give it to her - the front of the RX (especially the black one) really does look like a night fury.
Attached Thumbnails Toothless??-hiccup-and-toothless-train-your-dragon.jpg  
Old 03-05-11, 08:28 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the chrome-wheel version of the 19-inch wheels on my RX. The color is Smoky Granite Mica, and to me it looks great. Every time I go out to my car, I just love lookin' at those wheels! (LOL!)

I also cross-shopped the Cadillac SRX(pretty much the only other SUV I considered other than the RX.) I really, really liked the styling on the exterior and the interior of the SRX, but the engine was kind of a letdown for me. It didn't feel as peppy as the RX, and the drivetrain on the RX felt more slick and smooth.

Admittedly, I'm sure the exterior styling on the 2010 RX has been a love it or hate it kind of thing. At certain angles the car looks very nice; other angles, it looks a little odd. But overall, the positive things on this vehicle outweigh the bad. Good luck, and enjoy your RX!
Old 03-05-11, 09:09 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
I have the chrome-wheel version of the 19-inch wheels on my RX. The color is Smoky Granite Mica, and to me it looks great. Every time I go out to my car, I just love lookin' at those wheels! (LOL!)

I also cross-shopped the Cadillac SRX(pretty much the only other SUV I considered other than the RX.) I really, really liked the styling on the exterior and the interior of the SRX, but the engine was kind of a letdown for me. It didn't feel as peppy as the RX, and the drivetrain on the RX felt more slick and smooth.

Admittedly, I'm sure the exterior styling on the 2010 RX has been a love it or hate it kind of thing. At certain angles the car looks very nice; other angles, it looks a little odd. But overall, the positive things on this vehicle outweigh the bad. Good luck, and enjoy your RX!
I think you nailed it on the RX styling, the angles do seem to really effect how it looks.

I also agree that the engine in the SRX does appear to be weaker than most in this class, and if it were my daily driver that would have been a consideration. Since it is 95% driven by my wife and performance was not a priority at all for her that would not have mattered. I did hear that the 2012 will have the DI 3.6L from the CTS. The never ending leap frog continues ...

Got any pics of your wheels?? Were they OEM? I can not seem to find them online.
Old 03-05-11, 09:16 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

RXSF, I believe the rim is seven spoke instead of five on the 350 sport. At least that's what the brochure says (19" seven spoke alloy wheels). Mine (19" split five spoke with superchrome finish) are a little lighter than the rims we had on our 330s. Johnny and Sandi K have the 350 sport. They might be able to give us more info.

Chrome is nice too
I think the ones on his car now are 7 spoke. the 19" are all 7 spoke, including the sport trim with graphite finish. the 18" are the 5 spoke and only come in one flavor.
Old 03-06-11, 06:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think the ones on his car now are 7 spoke. the 19" are all 7 spoke, including the sport trim with graphite finish. the 18" are the 5 spoke and only come in one flavor.
Oops, missed that. Our 330s with 18's were five spoke and had the different flavor. They were easier to clean than the split five-spoke we have now. But I like the look on the RX.

I guess for the 3rd gen the number of spokes is a quick way to figure out rim size.
Old 03-06-11, 05:08 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you nailed it on the RX styling, the angles do seem to really effect how it looks.

I also agree that the engine in the SRX does appear to be weaker than most in this class, and if it were my daily driver that would have been a consideration. Since it is 95% driven by my wife and performance was not a priority at all for her that would not have mattered. I did hear that the 2012 will have the DI 3.6L from the CTS. The never ending leap frog continues ...

Got any pics of your wheels?? Were they OEM? I can not seem to find them online.
Unfortunately, I have no experience with downloading pictures on websites. I usually put pics on my computer through the CD that I order when developing them. I'm not sure at this moment where the CD is of the pics that I did take when I picked up the car. My digital camera is on the fritz, so I've been using a disposable camera for any picture-taking. Maybe I'll try and shoot some pics with the disposable and put them on CD and see if someone can show me how to upload pics on this website.

But mine are the OEM 19-inch seven-spoke wheels.
The 18-inch wheels that I've seen on the 2010's have five spokes.

Quick Reply: Toothless??