RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Mini Review: Took a RX 350 AWD on an all day test drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 08:25 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
I guess we both have excellent taste in cars. My wife had a Audi Q5 3.2L which she trade in for the RXh. The Q5 is basically a A4 on stilts, it handles pretty close to a A4 considering its a SUV. My wife doesn't really drive fast so she never fully utilized its full protentials. If you keep your cars for a long time, I would stay away from German cars.
I thought you had a newer pilot, if your pilot doesnt have a stability system, then it will be like night and day when you drive the RX in the snow.
When I get closer I definitely plan to take a Q5 for a spin especially because an A4 on stilts sounds fantastic, but yes probably not a real contender for me.

Thanks for the feedback on the snow. I agree the RX will be better in the snow than our 04 Pilot. One thing I like to do in the snow is downshift for engine braking on hills. I know the RX has manual shift gate like my IS, but does anyone know if I wanted to do this in an RXh if its possible with the CVT?
Old 03-08-11, 09:10 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

I have tried it on the RXh in manual mode going down a snowy hill, it does engine brake a bit, not sure how it does it with the CVT. Keep in mind when you apply the brakes in a hybrid, the generator is doing some of the braking for you. You are better off using the brakes to slow down so you can charge up the batteries.
OK, so it does have a manual mode

Excellent point about the brakes and regenerating. I should have framed my question better as I only do this 6 or 8 times a year when we get big storms and I'm driving into work down two pretty long and steep hills. I just feel more in control with engine braking with and occasional tap of the brake pedal on these few occasions.
Old 03-08-11, 10:42 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

yes both the RX and RXh has a manual mode from 1-6. Of course in the hybrid its a CVT so it is trying to mimic a 6 speed transmission...and doesnt do very well lol

If you can imagine, it is a very difficult thing to do since your first few mph are in electric mode, so it doesnt require the cvt at all. only after you get up to speed does it start to feel like manual mode.
Old 03-09-11, 05:45 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by RXSF
yes both the RX and RXh has a manual mode from 1-6. Of course in the hybrid its a CVT so it is trying to mimic a 6 speed transmission...and doesnt do very well lol

If you can imagine, it is a very difficult thing to do since your first few mph are in electric mode, so it doesnt require the cvt at all. only after you get up to speed does it start to feel like manual mode.
oh my I hadn't thought about the engine cutting out to EV only. I wonder if on the RXh when in simulated manual in 1st or 2nd gear if maybe the engine stays on? I'm picturing coming down a steep hill in a snow storm in simulated 2nd at 15mph, then the engine cuts out and now I driving a bobsled Tongue in cheek of course but I think you get the picture. It's not a deal breaker by any means but the engineer in me is now curious lol
Old 03-09-11, 08:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I've downshifted going down a snowy hill without problems.
Old 03-09-11, 09:15 AM
RXSF

I can confirm the engine does not stay on in S mode. But it does do something tricky with the regen brakes too, such that if you switch to manual mode at high speed without the gas pedal, it will seem like you are braking. Im sure they put a lot of thought into the design to accommodate those who use manual mode in the snow and not just for racing

I wish the RX450h can cruise on battery a little more. When I am driving city, the only time ICE shuts off is when I am at a stop.
At a stop and slowing down I presume, its the same for me. I just force mine to with the EV mode and let it cut out on its own when I get past 28mph. Its annoying that it gives me the little beep because then all the passengers ask me what that sound was. I try to remember to shut off EV mode right before 28mph but sometimes its hard to remember.
Old 03-09-11, 09:32 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

I need to confrim this, but I dont think the engine will shut off when you are moving and in S mode.
Thank you!

I wish the RX450h can cruise on battery a little more. When I am driving city, the only time ICE shuts off is when I am at a stop.
newb question please. What is ICE
Old 03-09-11, 09:35 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by kitlz
I've downshifted going down a snowy hill without problems.
Thank you! Another snow downshifter!!

I know there is enough electronic gadgetry to not have to downshift in the snow and I could be very fine with that, but I feel safer doing it in certain conditions.
Old 03-09-11, 09:45 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

I can confirm the engine does not stay on in S mode.
When you say the engine does not stay on in S mode do you mean at a stop or even when going slowly at say 15mph?

But it does do something tricky with the regen brakes too, such that if you switch to manual mode at high speed without the gas pedal, it will seem like you are braking. Im sure they put a lot of thought into the design to accommodate those who use manual mode in the snow and not just for racing
I know on all the Lexus I've driven that when when you slide the selector over to S at speed it puts the car in 4th. That would certainly give the sensation you are describing in a regular RX as I tried it the day I had my loaner. Is it possible the RXh does similar by simulating 4th gear when you slide it into S either with the engine or the regen brakes?

Last edited by TripleL; 03-09-11 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 11:31 AM
RXSF

Im afraid we are confusing Triple more than we are helping

In S mode, the hybrid powertrain does everything the same in D except that I think the car uses a mixture of regenerative braking and the CVT at high speeds to simulate the gear changes/slowing down.
Old 03-09-11, 11:46 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

ICE=Internal combustion engine
Thank you

The RX enters the manual mode in 4th gear. It should gear and rev. match like the Europeans cars. In the RX is fine since its not a sport car but in the GS and the IS it should gear and shift match. I think the IS-F is will match the gear and rev.
OK sounds good to me. And that would align with the original post that said 'with foot off the gas' the car would slow down since a car doing 60 in 4th (for example) would definitely be expected to slow down.
Old 03-09-11, 11:49 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Im afraid we are confusing Triple more than we are helping
Well the members that know me will vouch that it doesn't take much to confuse me LOL. Actually I enjoy learning and this conversation very much though, but thanks!

In S mode, the hybrid powertrain does everything the same in D except that I think the car uses a mixture of regenerative braking and the CVT at high speeds to simulate the gear changes/slowing down.
Well put and makes perfect sense.
Old 03-09-11, 12:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
Thank you! Another snow downshifter!!

I know there is enough electronic gadgetry to not have to downshift in the snow and I could be very fine with that, but I feel safer doing it in certain conditions.
I drove manual for 10 years before going automatic. I've never forgotten the benefit

I typically downshift as I'm going down a hill with speeds anywhere between 5-25 mph in the snow, higher than that on dry pavement. I'm not really hearing anything significant from the engine. I do tend to be generous when I downshift and use the brake lightly rather than rely solely on the engine to do it for me, and maybe make it down to 2nd. Only once have I gone to 1st and that was on the 330 in deep snow. I have also used it to control/drop power fast going up/down a hill by leaving it in 2nd.
Old 03-09-11, 10:20 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my new RX, where in RI are you located? I purchased mine 3 weeks ago from Inskip in Warwick. Price was 48,600 with premium and comfort package, towing which apparently everyone gets, and navigation. Paid 43,500. Very simple process, no push or rude sales people, which I had come accustomed to while car shopping. LOL
Old 03-10-11, 07:48 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by kitlz
I drove manual for 10 years before going automatic. I've never forgotten the benefit

I typically downshift as I'm going down a hill with speeds anywhere between 5-25 mph in the snow, higher than that on dry pavement. I'm not really hearing anything significant from the engine. I do tend to be generous when I downshift and use the brake lightly rather than rely solely on the engine to do it for me, and maybe make it down to 2nd. Only once have I gone to 1st and that was on the 330 in deep snow. I have also used it to control/drop power fast going up/down a hill by leaving it in 2nd.
Glad to know this works well for you as I do similar if not exactly the same in snow

Quick Reply: Mini Review: Took a RX 350 AWD on an all day test drive