RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Mini Review: Took a RX 350 AWD on an all day test drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-11, 07:02 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
As for speed if my butt-dyno is working correctly and I think it is I actually think the RXh is a little faster overall. I'd say that any amount that the RXh would loose off the line would be more than made up down the road. If the engine ran from idle, which no one including me would want as it would defeat the purpose of a hybrid, I actually think the h would be faster for sure.
Your "butt-dyno" may be off by 0.6 seconds for the 0-60 time comparisons.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Lexus-0-60-mph-Times.html
Old 03-14-11, 07:20 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimH2
Your "butt-dyno" may be off by 0.6 seconds for the 0-60 time comparisons.
LOL well I've been meaning to get it calibrated

Cool site, especially for comparisons!! I see the 1/4 mile time is missing for the RX as I bet they are about equal or within a tick by the time they get to that point. Need to validate this before I get my butt-dyno unnecessarily calibrated

BTW I drive an IS250 so I do like some get up and go but clearly its not a huge priority to me.

Edit: wow I saw the GX time, pretty impressive
Old 03-14-11, 09:18 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

if you keep the foot on the brake and step on the gas pedal at the same time, it will get the engine to wake up for faster starts off the line
Old 03-15-11, 05:55 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by RXSF
if you keep the foot on the brake and step on the gas pedal at the same time, it will get the engine to wake up for faster starts off the line
Very Interesting I wouldn't make a habit of it but nice.

I have to say though that I'm pleasantly surprised by this since with all the issues from 2010 I would have figured with your foot on the brake that if you stepped on the gas in a hybrid nothing would happen at all.
Old 03-15-11, 11:15 AM
RXSF

yeah, well the technology isnt new and german cars have had this feature all along, and it only works if you are at speed and then both pedals are depressed. When you are stopped, you can still get the engine going with the foot on the brake...in case you wanted to do a burnout in the RX

Last edited by RXSF; 03-15-11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-15-11, 04:31 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

yeah, well the technology isnt new and german cars have had this feature all along, and it only works if you are at speed and then both pedals are depressed. When you are stopped, you can still get the engine going with the foot on the brake...in case you wanted to do a burnout in the RX
Thanks!! So it's safe to assume you are very happy with your choice of the RX?
Old 03-15-11, 04:57 PM
RXSF

I knew I wanted my next vehicle to be a hybrid. Im not going to try to sell you on the gas mileage, and lower CO2 emissions (those are merely side saddle pluses when we are talking about a car in this price range and size). Merely the RX is the perfect size in the perfect package with tons of features for a car in this price range. As a tech geek, I was wooed by the hybrid powertrain, HUD, LED headlights, and remote touch. Couldnt be any happier with my choice. And I think every family now a days needs something other than a sedan for those road trips and even everyday grocery getting errands.
Old 03-15-11, 05:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

When Lexus had their preview of the 3rd gen RX back in February 2009, they only had the hybrid versions available. Coincidentally I was seeing lots of 400h on the road by me. When it came time to test drive the 3rd gen , I tried the 350 first and the 450h a month later. One thing I won't forget is when my sales guy drove the 450h away after the test drive. All I could hear were the tires going over the rocks. It was wild. That and the LEDs did it for me
Old 03-15-11, 06:43 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

I knew I wanted my next vehicle to be a hybrid. Im not going to try to sell you on the gas mileage, and lower CO2 emissions (those are merely side saddle pluses when we are talking about a car in this price range and size). Merely the RX is the perfect size in the perfect package with tons of features for a car in this price range. As a tech geek, I was wooed by the hybrid powertrain, HUD, LED headlights, and remote touch. Couldnt be any happier with my choice. And I think every family now a days needs something other than a sedan for those road trips and even everyday grocery getting errands.
Really appreciate you sharing this inside look, thank you!

I'm a 'tech geek' also both for work and play so I can relate for sure.

+1 for having a SUV (or LUV ) in the house. Between household projects, our 10 year old boy with his friends and cub scout events I can't imagine not having one in the house right now either. So versatile.
Old 03-15-11, 06:55 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by kitlz
When Lexus had their preview of the 3rd gen RX back in February 2009, they only had the hybrid versions available. Coincidentally I was seeing lots of 400h on the road by me. When it came time to test drive the 3rd gen , I tried the 350 first and the 450h a month later.
Thanks for sharing kitlz!

I have to say the 3RX section has been fantastic and open in continuing to share their thoughts, opinions and the inside scoop on the 3RX, thank you all and please continue

One thing I won't forget is when my sales guy drove the 450h away after the test drive. All I could hear were the tires going over the rocks. It was wild. That and the LEDs did it for me
Silent Drive FTW High on my list for whatever I buy is a quite and smooth ride. Can't get more quiet than what you described. Oh and LEDs would nice too
Old 03-16-11, 06:13 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by The X Men
That zerotosixty.com site's numbers are some what questionable. I know they didnt test all those car's 0-60 time. They must have gather those numbers form different source. Different magazine or testers can differ in 0-60 time by about as much as 0.5 sec.
After I posted I had a chance to read more about the site and I agree they just gather the times from other sources. I didn't realize that when I posted. Its still OK I guess for a sense of times, but I'd prefer using a single source like R&T or C&D as regardless of how accurate they are, they are consistent so comparisons using their data would be a lot more accurate.

The GX460 is about as oppoiste a SUV as you can get compare to the RX450h. The GX gets pretty bad gas mileage and its a SUV build for off roading. Unless you tow a lot, its pretty hard to justify buying a GX. I do like the new interior though, but the exterior design is still some what ugly from certain angles and the barn door is a big draw back.
I agree 110%. I've always had my eye on the GX and I have to say driving the GX460 was superb and a delightful place to spend time on long highway rides reguardless of what's going on outside of it. Yet I'm very much drawn to the RX for so many reasons that we've discussed here. I think I need to let it marinate for a while and see where it takes me.

I feel very fortunate that I'm able to be shopping and ultimately buying a vehicle like these. All I know for sure is I'm going to get something I want and for the first time will be getting lots of options to have fun with too.
Old 03-16-11, 08:49 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

I agree, the GX is about the quietest and smoothest SUV I have ever driven, The draw back is handling, boxy design and weight.
Well put.

Shopping for a new car is the best part of the whole car buying experience, I usually take my time and do a lot homework before deciding. I try to test drive every car or SUV in the same class and price. Toyota and Lexus use to be an automatic brand I would buy in the pass but not anymore. The competition have gotten better and Lexus's quality have drop a bit, but I must say, there is not much competition for the RX450h right now. The closest competition is the Q5 hybrid, which is suppose to get 34 MPG in the city, but buying a 1st year design German hybrid is asking for trouble in my opinion.
I really enjoy car shopping not only for myself but others too. It's fun and by the time I'm done with all my research etc and make that 'big' decision I'm as excited as I am confident in my new purchase.

I haven't sat in the Q5 yet but I will. I really liked my A4 but not sure about the Audi suv's just yet but a test drive will help that. I'll have to plead ignorance about Audi hybrids as other than the fact I know its coming I don't know much about them. Now if Audi would drop their 3.0d into the Q5 that would be very interesting. I love an engine with lots of torque!!
Old 03-16-11, 09:17 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That zerotosixty.com site's numbers are some what questionable. I know they didnt test all those car's 0-60 time. They must have gather those numbers form different source. Different magazine or testers can differ in 0-60 time by about as much as 0.5 sec.
Each source will have various/different times as you noted. The Car and Driver review of the 2010 RX 450h had the following times:

"A hybrid is not designed for straight-line performance, but we tested it, and darned if we would fail to report it. The 0-to-60 dash is just off the standard RX350’s mark of 6.8 seconds, standing at 7.1. The “h” trails the RX350 in the quarter-mile test, too, but by only 0.2 second at 15.5."
Old 03-16-11, 05:43 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Here is a article from Edmunds about the Audi Q5 hybrid, it has a different power delivery system compare to the Rx450h:

http://www.insideline.com/audi/q5-hy...rst-drive.html
Interesting read, thank you. I see Audi is keeping the 8 speed tiptronic and quattro intact in their hybrid. Smart move on paper at least in my opinion.
Also Audi have comfrim that a diesel version of the Q5 is coming to the US in the near future:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/de...l=Q5&state=new
It would make sense for them to offer it since it's sister cars have a diesel option although I did note in the above article comments that the Q5 Hybrid eliminates the need for a diesel option Not sure about the Audi but I will give it a test drive at some point for sure.
Old 03-17-11, 11:26 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Audi does have a CVT they use for the A6, I am not sure why they decided to use the 8 speed tiptronic tranny instead. The most interesting part of the Audi Hybrid is the power delievery system. Both the engine and the electric motor is couple to the drive shalf via a electromagnetic clutch, which engage and disengauge as needed. It is very similar to the way the RX350 AWD system works. The Q5 3.0TDI is already available in Europe, all Audi have to do is modify it a bit to meet Calif. emission. The Hybrid will be here this year, and the Diesel hopefully in 2 years.
Excellent info I like that hybrid design on paper and now that you mention it's somewhat similar to the RX350 it is interesting. Although I can see carrying that extra weight in the RX's case, but not sure it makes a lot of sense in a hybrid although keeping Quattro is definitely a plus in my book.

Last edited by TripleL; 03-17-11 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Mini Review: Took a RX 350 AWD on an all day test drive