RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What I think about my new RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 11:24 AM
DarylS2001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What I think about my new RX

I purchased a 2011 Lexus RX350 AWD, Stargazer Black/Grey Interior. It has every option except Sport Package, ML Stereo and RES. I got it for $49,500, MSRP was over $55,000. My previous car was a 2008 IS350 Luxury Package.

IMO Ride: The RX has a much more relaxed ride, it does feel a little sporty but it is a SUV/Crossover you can't expect a sports car. I think the seats are more comfortable than the IS seats. They do seem to be a bit warmer even on cool days without the seat heater on perhaps due to more padding? As far as interior noise it is quieter than the IS but not as quiet as you might think. This doesn't bother me but I think at this price point it should be much quieter.

IMO Options: I love the adaptive cruise control it does an excellent job at keeping distance between you and the car in front of you. If someone cuts you off then it is a problem you have to intervene with the brakes. Not a big deal just something to be aware of. The auto high beam feature is also nice, set it and forget it. The navigation and voice recognition are much better than what I had in the IS. My favorite part is the Enform, edestinations is great too I find that the mobile app is able to find destinations easier than on the website. There are a few things that I either knew were missing by reading the forum or had in the IS and isn't in the RX. A compass in the mirror not sure why that isn't in the RX. Sunglass holder, I am sure the SOS could have gone somewhere else. Memory Seat for Passenger this seems like a strange omission. Touch to lock unlock rear doors on handle (on ES350) this seems like a strange omission as well. I also like that you can change many of the settings through the navigation that you weren't able to do on the IS (had to be done by dealer). Illumination of overhead console buttons why aren't they lit up? I knew this all ready but it seems so obvious. Just an observation as well - My RX is fully loaded and there are still 3 blank spots for switches. I figured out one was for heated windshield wipers not sure what the other two would be (does anyone know?).

IMO overall after only 3 days I am very happy with the vehicle. I am going to miss the 300+ HP of the IS though. Any questions feel free to ask.
Old 03-07-11, 11:43 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

I do not understand wind/interior noise in RX, I haven't experienced any. But to be fair, I drive Boxster & 335. RX is my wife's but I love to drive it everytime I have a chance. So comfortable and luxurious at the unbeatable price, I don't think it has any competition in that department. We love it too.

Thank you for covering all the expensive options! Our RX doesn't have them, but always curious about those fancy options, especially adaptive cruise control.
Old 03-07-11, 12:10 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

one of the blank buttons (if you are referring to the ones by your left knee) should be for the air suspension which we dont get in the states, and also a shutoff switch for the 120V AC power out, like an outlet at home)
Old 03-07-11, 12:15 PM
DarylS2001
Rookie

Hmm I have the 120V outlet but no shutoff switch. I forgot to mention the HUD I love how it works with the Navi the arrow lights up when time to turn. Awesome.
Old 03-07-11, 12:49 PM
ggravant
Driver

One thing I noticed about our RX (and I have not read yet to see if it is configurable) is that when you touch the button on the rear door it only unlocks and then you have to manually lift it. If you open it with the FOB, however, it does lift up automatically. Is this normal? I thought some of the other SUVs we looked at opened it automatically.
Old 03-07-11, 01:18 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice write up, thanks for sharing!

I agree about about the interior noise level, and also agree its definitely better than my IS and a very acceptable level.

Please continue to keep us updated as the days/weeks go by. Thanks.
Old 03-07-11, 02:19 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggravant
One thing I noticed about our RX (and I have not read yet to see if it is configurable) is that when you touch the button on the rear door it only unlocks and then you have to manually lift it. If you open it with the FOB, however, it does lift up automatically. Is this normal? I thought some of the other SUVs we looked at opened it automatically.
Seems that it could be configured by the dealer to power-open on 2nd push, but the dealers didn't know about it and it's been discontinued in later models. Discussion in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...runk-door.html
Old 03-07-11, 02:25 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarylS2001
I purchased a 2011 Lexus RX350 AWD, Stargazer Black/Grey Interior.
I have a 2011 RX350 AWD, silver (tungsten pearl) with a black interior and the 19" wheels. Looking at the photos of your car feels like looking at a negative of my car (for those of you who remember taking pictures with film cameras).

Enjoy
Old 03-07-11, 05:07 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Try press and hold for a moment. That's what makes mine rise on it's own power.
I just gave it a try and it did not work. What year is yours? I just looked in my 2011 manual and on page 625 it does say that the dealer can program it. I will give them a call and see - thanks all!
Old 03-07-11, 05:58 PM
Mossy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ggravant
I just gave it a try and it did not work. What year is yours? I just looked in my 2011 manual and on page 625 it does say that the dealer can program it. I will give them a call and see - thanks all!
You beat me to the punch. I was going to tell you the dealer can fix. I wish I'd known this before I drove away from my dealer when I picked up my RX last thursday. I know I so sound lazy, but after three years with a vehicle where all i had to do was touch the rear button and it opened on its own, it feels terribly awkward to have to lift it manually-- like i'm gonna mess up the power mechanism or something. Seems stupid to make this a setting only the dealer can change. I'm not driving 2 hours to have just this done though, so I guess I'll wait until my first service in September.
Old 03-07-11, 06:02 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by Mossy
You beat me to the punch. I was going to tell you the dealer can fix. I wish I'd known this before I drove away from my dealer when I picked up my RX last thursday. I know I so sound lazy, but after three years with a vehicle where all i had to do was touch the rear button and it opened on its own, it feels terribly awkward to have to lift it manually-- like i'm gonna mess up the power mechanism or something. Seems stupid to make this a setting only the dealer can change. I'm not driving 2 hours to have just this done though, so I guess I'll wait until my first service in September.
I agree - let us do it you bozo heads haha.
Old 03-08-11, 01:23 PM
Napagoer
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2011 350 FWD. I've noticed a bunch of posts that say their cars do not have a holder for sunglasses. Mine has one, it's the little pop-down compartment right in front of the rear view mirror. Also, the compass displays on the bottom right-hand corner of the rear view mirror.

Last edited by Napagoer; 03-08-11 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add a sentence
Old 03-08-11, 02:24 PM
DarylS2001
Rookie

Napagoer - Interesting do you have the SOS in your RX? I noticed the owners manual states there is a compass in the mirror but there isn't one in my RX. Something I found curious also is that my carpet mats are black and the interior is grey. I think every car I have owned the mats match the carpet color. I think I may have to change this as I can see all the black fibers from the mats all over the gray carpet in the car. I think I will put in grey ones and cover with clear mats to protect from dirt. Anyone else think this is odd?
Old 03-08-11, 03:00 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I also came from an IS 350, I had a 2007 with the Ultra Luxury II package with all the bells and whistles. I too was a bit disappointed about the small omissions from the IS on the RX, such as the passenger memory seats and compass. Overall, I am really enjoying the RX but do miss the IS at times. That torque and horsepower and sportier handling were fun at times.
Old 03-08-11, 04:17 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the compass was deemed redundant because of the nav. As for the darker floor mats, Lexus used to have tan ones, but then people complained they got dirty too quickly.

I have a 2011 350 FWD. I've noticed a bunch of posts that say their cars do not have a holder for sunglasses. Mine has one, it's the little pop-down compartment right in front of the rear view mirror.
this is rather curious...

Quick Reply: What I think about my new RX