RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

DIY on RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11 | 10:23 AM
Barrington
Rookie

Default DIY on RX350

Just curious how many owners of newer RX's do their own oil changes and basic stuff or plan on doing it after the first couple of free services are done. Changing the oil and filter seems easy and really how much "REAL" maintanance needs to be done on todays newer vehicles? On most newer cars they say the coolant and trans fluid is OK for 100k miles, filters are easy to change, if you have a floor jack rotating the tires is really not a big deal. The basics can be done in less than an hour. When the "service" gets to be in the hundreds of dollars it might be worth getting your hands dirty. Obviously don't attempt anything that you are not comfortable with but the basics seem like no big deal.
Old 03-10-11 | 11:07 AM
mac12
Intermediate

I'm letting my Toyota dealer do the oil changes on my RX after the free services. The service rep said the synthetic oil change would be about $10 more than what I pay for my Avalon which is $29.
Old 03-10-11 | 11:28 AM
ggravant
Driver

I plan on doing everything I can that is as hard as or easier than changing a timing belt on a Honda Odyssey ... which is very tedious but enjoyable. Yea ... I live a simple life
Old 03-10-11 | 02:35 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

I usually do most of maintenance and mod myself, but I'd probably let the dealer do it with my first Lexus. I am buying service manual anyway, but somehow my mentality is different with Lexus.
Old 03-10-11 | 05:38 PM
VET4LES
Driver School Candidate

I plan on doing all my maintenance including brakes. I've been doing it over 50 years and plan on continuing with the Lexus. It's just a car.
Old 03-11-11 | 06:49 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Will perform the misc. maintenance (oil, filter changes, etc.) myself, and will let the dealer perform the brake and major tune-up work down the road. I rather use the savings towards the purchase of new tires later.
Old 03-12-11 | 06:36 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JiniJazz
I usually do most of maintenance and mod myself, but I'd probably let the dealer do it with my first Lexus. I am buying service manual anyway, but somehow my mentality is different with Lexus.
Where are you getting the Service/Repair manual. In the past, I have purchasaed from Helminc for the OEM Manuals, but they do not have one for the RX350 or RX450h online ?

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...ected%5Fmedia=
Old 03-12-11 | 11:20 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by JimH2
Where are you getting the Service/Repair manual. In the past, I have purchasaed from Helminc for the OEM Manuals, but they do not have one for the RX350 or RX450h online ?

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...ected%5Fmedia=
I already have one. PM me if interested.
Old 03-14-11 | 05:05 PM
ejvette
Driver

since the car is leased i never do any service i just hand them the keys back in 3 years with the 3yr old oil lol.
Old 03-14-11 | 05:07 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by ejvette
since the car is leased i never do any service i just hand them the keys back in 3 years with the 3yr old oil lol.
Note to self - don't ever buy a leased Lexus
Old 03-14-11 | 05:48 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

I have two two other cars and I do change the oil and filter on both. I will change the oil and filter on the RX when the time comes. I do not trust the gorilla's at the oil change place.
Old 03-14-11 | 10:28 PM
Boykster21
Driver School Candidate

I used to be a DIY all the way kind of guy, but I just don't have the time to tinker anymore. Also, on my '00 RX300 that had every single scheduled service performed at the lexus dealership the dealer, when my transmission died at 90k miles, the dealer replaced the transmission at no charge since the car had been exclusively serviced by them.

Sure, doesn't offset all of the cost of service, but it did help....
Old 03-14-11 | 11:08 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by Boykster21
I used to be a DIY all the way kind of guy, but I just don't have the time to tinker anymore. Also, on my '00 RX300 that had every single scheduled service performed at the lexus dealership the dealer, when my transmission died at 90k miles, the dealer replaced the transmission at no charge since the car had been exclusively serviced by them.

Sure, doesn't offset all of the cost of service, but it did help....
Are you sure they would not have fixed it anyway? Our Honda van's tranny also failed at about that same number of miles, and they fixed it even though we did most of our own service (but had records). But - there is not much you can do to a tranny other than change the fluid when recommended.
Old 03-15-11 | 01:05 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I will let my Toyota dealer ALL theservice for this car the 5k and the 10k one as well He will do the tires and oil. And I will change out the other two air filters and the wiper inserts.
Old 03-15-11 | 03:07 PM
Boykster21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ggravant
Are you sure they would not have fixed it anyway? Our Honda van's tranny also failed at about that same number of miles, and they fixed it even though we did most of our own service (but had records). But - there is not much you can do to a tranny other than change the fluid when recommended.
I'm pretty sure that the best option they would have offered would have been 50% comp by Lexus - there are several threads re: the RX300 transmission issues, and how most people got that deal. Our service manager went to bat for us and got full comp replacement because the car had been serviced exclusively at their dealership (as has our 2006 IS250), so the loyalty program was in full effect.

Of course, it paid off when we returned to the same dealership to buy our '11 RX450h

Quick Reply: DIY on RX350