RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote starter changes price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 05:01 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remote starter changes price?

When i pick up my car in a hurry, i didn't want to wait to install the remote engine starter for an additional $375. A month later i called back, they quoted me almost double $700. Why is different?
Old 03-12-11, 06:29 AM
tfischer

Received 215 Likes on 160 Posts

You snooze, you lose.
Old 03-12-11, 04:30 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The X Men
$375 is the price if your RX comes with the port installed remote starter option. $700 is the price if the dealer has to install it themself.
Thanks.
How do I know if my car has the port or not? Is it list on the sticker or i need to call the sale man and ask him? When I picked up my car, I was in a hurry not even let the sale man sit down with me to go through all the options
Old 03-12-11, 06:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Port installed means an item/option was installed at the Port of Entry after arriving in the U.S.
Old 03-12-11, 06:37 PM
tfischer

How is "themself" even a word?
Old 03-12-11, 07:57 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car came with the Remote Start. It is listed on the Window sticker. Since I got mine in August I couldn't order one without it, but had negotiated a price without it.
Old 03-12-11, 08:11 PM
tfischer

I think the gist of this conversation is that it is always less expensive to order options in advance and as a package. Subsequent modifications to your car are always a custom job and will cost more. Things like this can easily be overlooked when "in a hurry," although I generally don't rush into purchases over $25.00.
Old 03-12-11, 08:38 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

You're paying the Lexus dealer labor rates with that amount. After hearing the cost installed post delivery I'm glad I added it when I special ordered my RX.

Sewell carries it for $175.45 with their discount. They also have the installation instructions on the website. Just a thought.
Old 03-12-11, 09:02 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kitlz
You're paying the Lexus dealer labor rates with that amount. After hearing the cost installed post delivery I'm glad I added it when I special ordered my RX.

Sewell carries it for $175.45 with their discount. They also have the installation instructions on the website. Just a thought.
I got a lesson. This is my first Lexus. I had gone through a Lexus.com website and learned all of features of the car before picking up my car so when the saleman said let's go through the options and features, i said no needed and headed out the dealer.
Old 03-12-11, 11:49 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
I got a lesson. This is my first Lexus. I had gone through a Lexus.com website and learned all of features of the car before picking up my car so when the saleman said let's go through the options and features, i said no needed and headed out the dealer.
Are you sure that you really want the remote starter? Even my dealer told me it's practically useless. If the range improves and does not turn off the car, I will definitely get one though.
Old 03-13-11, 05:44 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks.
How do I know if my car has the port or not? Is it list on the sticker or i need to call the sale man and ask him? When I picked up my car, I was in a hurry not even let the sale man sit down with me to go through all the options
I'm surprised the dealer let you leave without some basic training. Knowing what your options are and being able to use them are two different things. My dealer had a check list and we went through each item and I signed the list after going through it with him.
Old 03-13-11, 09:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

If Lexus stll offers the 1k complementary service visit for personalized settings etc., it would be a good time for you to get any questions/concerns answered.
Old 03-13-11, 09:41 AM
Mossy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JiniJazz
Are you sure that you really want the remote starter? Even my dealer told me it's practically useless. If the range improves and does not turn off the car, I will definitely get one though.
Agree wholeheartedly. I went ahead and had it installed because I had it on my previous vehicle, BUT the RX version is really not very practical. As indicated by others, the range is ridiculous. According to the lexus website, the range is 30 ft-- which they should be embarassed about. Even worse, after starting it, it turns off as soon as you open any door. My dealer claimed it was a security feature-- so no one could drive off in the car. Duh-- a more logical security feature would be to turn off upon trying to put the vehicle in gear-- which is how other mfr remote starts work. My previous car didn't have the push-button start, so after doing a remote start, opening the door would leave the car on and then you'd really turn it on by inserting the key and turning it. So the only thing I can figure is that maybe the push-button start has something to do with the fact that the car can't stay on upon opening the door. Unless there are other mfrs who have push button start cars with remote starts that work better.

So the only way I use it right now is to start my car in the garage before leaving for work-- but the turn off upon opening the door is aggravating.

So if i were you, i'd really think about whether you'd REALLY use this before plunking down $700. Otherwise, you may regret the purchase.
Old 03-13-11, 06:44 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I'm surprised the dealer let you leave without some basic training. Knowing what your options are and being able to use them are two different things. My dealer had a check list and we went through each item and I signed the list after going through it with him.
Yes, he gave me a check list. i read through and signed so he let me go.
Old 03-13-11, 06:47 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If Lexus stll offers the 1k complementary service visit for personalized settings etc., it would be a good time for you to get any questions/concerns answered.
Yes they gave me 1 time complementary service but they told me come back for the next 10000 miles. Which mean next year cause i don't drive this car much, I have another car to commute.

Quick Reply: Remote starter changes price?