RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 450 Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 10:41 AM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 450 Navigation System

I am having some issues with the navigation system. I have had in car nav systems since 2000 - so I am used to them, their pros & cons.

The ease of operation in the 450h is outstanding; however, it does some very strange things i.e., make a turn where there is no road etc.

My major complaint is just after start up; silicone sally says " PLEASE PROCEED TO THE HIGHLIGHTED ROUTE AND THE ROUTE GUIDANCE WILL START". For example, I am coming out of a mall and set the nav for home. I have 3 options, go straight, right or left; there is no indication from SALLY which is correct. Several times we turn the " wrong" way only to have to proceed several miles before I can make a U turn. My immediate solution was to purchase a Garmin Nuvi - 179 at Costco. This works much better; I don't have the wrong turn problem and the map is up to date.

I realize that roads which are new can not be included but ones 4 years old should be there!

I would like to collect problems we are all having and then perhaps we can submit them collectively to Toyota for a "fix"?
Old 03-17-11, 11:33 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the "please proceed to the highlighted route, and the route guidance will start" message usually means you are off the grid. I can see that when you are in a mall since the navigation will not have the parking lot/small small roads labeled. Getting out of the mall and hitting a main road before starting the navigation will probably do the trick
Old 03-17-11, 12:13 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, but there are many places out here where I live that are "off the grid", including roads gthat are several years old and are state maintained. Even when the road finally becomes listed, the nav can't find tghe address. In my division, there are 50+ homes that have been here for as long as 17 years, and the nav still can't find the address. She does tell me that in this area there are roads with incomplete data, follow tghe directional arrows, etc, but how long is it going to take for the area to be updated?
Old 03-17-11, 01:05 PM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
the "please proceed to the highlighted route, and the route guidance will start" message usually means you are off the grid. I can see that when you are in a mall since the navigation will not have the parking lot/small small roads labeled. Getting out of the mall and hitting a main road before starting the navigation will probably do the trick
I realize that but this was never the case on my Mercs even as far back as the 2000. The Garmin does not do this - it will tell you to turn right or left.

The Merc tells you to turn right or left.

I guess you missed the point
Old 03-17-11, 01:08 PM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ziggy1
Yes, but there are many places out here where I live that are "off the grid", including roads gthat are several years old and are state maintained. Even when the road finally becomes listed, the nav can't find tghe address. In my division, there are 50+ homes that have been here for as long as 17 years, and the nav still can't find the address. She does tell me that in this area there are roads with incomplete data, follow tghe directional arrows, etc, but how long is it going to take for the area to be updated?
This is a problem that we as a group have to get Toyota to address. I suggest they keep back - in order to make you pay big bucks for updates - ones which you have no idea of what has been updated. I am most disappointed - this being my first and maybe only Lexus
Old 03-17-11, 01:17 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by cactusgary
I realize that but this was never the case on my Mercs even as far back as the 2000. The Garmin does not do this - it will tell you to turn right or left.

The Merc tells you to turn right or left.

I guess you missed the point
My merc does the same thing. My garage is off the grid and when I activate a destination in there, I still need to approach the blue lines before it starts guidance...
Old 03-17-11, 01:42 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also noticed this problem when the message "PLEASE PROCEED TO THE HIGHLIGHTED ROUTE AND THE ROUTE GUIDANCE WILL START" comes on. One does not have to be on an un-labeled road for this message to come up. I have been on main roads, stopped and put in a new address, and when it initially starts up, I get this message. I would rather it say in which cardinal direction (e.g., proceed North) to go, right, left, or whatever. I sometimes do not know which direction to go in order to get to the "highlighted route". I do not get these confusing/unknown directions in my 2008 Acura TL navigation, or in my 5-year old portable Garmin that I used prior to having OEM navigation in my vehicles.
Old 03-17-11, 02:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The Lexus nav only says "your destination is ahead". The only exception is for our Home. I've never figured this one out.

My Garmin says "your destination is ahead, on the left (or right depending).

This is helpful when you are on busy unfamiliar street. You can get in the correct lane quicker.
Old 03-17-11, 03:08 PM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The X Men
When it gives you 3 routes to choose from, you just need to pick one of the route and enter it, then drive towards its general direction, once you are on that route, the Navi will give you direction.
The problem is NOT when I am in familiar surroundings or know the approximate direction I want to go.

THE REAL PROBLEM is when I really need the system - when traveling across the country. It borders upon dangerous - so I will use my newly acquired Garmin
Old 03-17-11, 03:09 PM
RXSF

I cant think of a time when it doesnt say "on your left" or "on your right"....

I assume if it doesnt say, then it is on the side you are on
Old 03-17-11, 03:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I cant think of a time when it doesnt say "on your left" or "on your right"....

I assume if it doesnt say, then it is on the side you are on
The destination can be on the side I'm on, or the other side, just no notification of which. I've checked the manual to see if there is a setting I can change but haven't found anything. We just returned from a 4k driving trip and enountered this throughout. Kind of strange I know....

I should add that I have a 2010 ES350 but assume it's similar to the RX system.
Old 03-17-11, 03:39 PM
RXSF

very weird. I havent been on guidance that often in the RX, but I remember my old RX330 did tell you which side it was on.
Old 03-17-11, 03:50 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Living in rural Iowa I'm off the grid often. I don't mind that message at the beginning of a trip, it's at the end I don't like not having guidance. I had the same problem (left side or right side) in a Nissan, so it's not a Lexus only problem. Although they both may be using the same vendor for the mapping system.
Old 03-17-11, 05:42 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

The ease of operation in the 450h is outstanding; however, it does some very strange things i.e., make a turn where there is no road etc.
I was visting in Toronto last year. We were driving east along the main road heading toward an area known as the Beaches. The Nav told me to take a right turn. Had I done so, I would have driven across a grassy area and right into Lake Ontario!! Continued another 100 feet and the system locked on and gave accrate routing from there.

I don't think the problem is with the Nav, but is a problem with data in the database that they purchase for use in the Nav. I can site similar issues with the Navteq data used in my Garmin 660. However, getting updates for the Garmin every three months helps alot.

When I travel I always take my Garmin along. I can use it to search for POI's while in motion.
Old 03-24-11, 01:16 PM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
i was visting in toronto last year. We were driving east along the main road heading toward an area known as the beaches. The nav told me to take a right turn. Had i done so, i would have driven across a grassy area and right into lake ontario!! Continued another 100 feet and the system locked on and gave accrate routing from there.

I don't think the problem is with the nav, but is a problem with data in the database that they purchase for use in the nav. I can site similar issues with the navteq data used in my garmin 660. However, getting updates for the garmin every three months helps alot.

When i travel i always take my garmin along. I can use it to search for poi's while in motion.
yes i agree that is my point - the functionality of the system is outstanding - the data is not up to standard - my data disk is less than a year old and it seems at times to be years out of date. I also partially rely on my garmin but should not have to. We should be getting free or low cost updates available from toyota - but they just don't see it that way. How do we get this point across to them?

Quick Reply: RX 450 Navigation System