RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Factory 19 inch tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 05:51 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I am considering a different tire, non-OE, when the time comes though. Only the best shoes for my RX
I was with my buddy who owns a series of tire dealerships and also distributes to most of the new car dealerships in south central PA. I asked him if there was much, if any, difference between OE tires and "regular" retail tires. He told me that in the past there were differences but that in today's world of processes and materials, there is very little if any difference. He said that I would never be able to tell the difference and that they would last just as long.
Old 03-23-11, 08:11 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Anita, you got less than 20K on the goodyears? I had the goodyears twice on the 330 and replaced them at 30K everytime, but the michelines I had lasted to 40
I had the Goodyear Eagle OEM's on my '07 RX, and they lasted me until approximately 38,000 miles. Then I switched to the Michelin MX-4 OEM's, and my sister-in-law, who is now driving that vehicle, just had them replaced a few weeks ago, so it looks like the '07 RX only got around 30,000 miles out of the Michelins.
Old 03-23-11, 08:52 PM
drucej
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new RX had Dunlops that had flat spots in them, probably from sitting on the lot for several months before I purchased. Dealer replaced all 4 and now they're OK. Very soft ride and quiet. I had Michelins on my X5 and loved them, got 55k out of each of 2 sets. The Michelins handled better and were still quiet/smooth but got great mileage. I think they were a firmer/harder tire. I first replaced the X5 tires with Bridgestones hoping for improvement and they were horrible so exchanged them for the original X5 Michelins. When my Dunlaps needed replacing due to flat spots I asked for Michelins but they could only exchange them for the origiginal Dunlops. At 5k they are still good but do squeal when I pull into the garage and leave black marks indicating they may wear out fast.
Old 03-25-11, 03:22 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anita, as I have said before --there are only 2 brands of tires that Lexus uses for Canadian destined RX's....So Michelin Lattitudes were what they put on and I am very happy with them--the vehicle still rides a bit harsher than my 2009 RX350 equipped with Michelins and 17" tires. I have always avoided the Goodyears that Lexus used to use on some generation 2's. If you go to tirerack the Michelins Lattitudes for 2010+ are wear rated to last almost twice as long as the Dunlop Grandcraps (sorry I just hated them!)
Old 03-25-11, 03:31 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the 19" Dunlops, but only 1000 miles on the car so far. No complaints, they are quiet and smooth. No squealing in parking lots as some have reported. Did not have an opportunity to try them in the snow (and I hope I won't until next winter).
Old 03-25-11, 03:59 PM
Barrington
Rookie

I also have the 19" Dunlops on my 2011 RX350 with about 3K miles on them. So far they are very quiet and smooth. Just drove the car in a major storm in the Bay Area last week and it was fine. Severe wind and rain etc.......
Old 03-25-11, 04:18 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Even if I didn't like the Dunlops, I would keep them until they need replacement given my track record with 'starter' tires on the RX. The local tire place has set me up with some awesome alternatives over the years. The plan is to go there when the time comes. BTW I'm not into a mushy ride or quiet tires. The ability to get around in the snow safely is my first priority.
Old 03-25-11, 07:33 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default "All Weather" Tire

Originally Posted by kitlz
... The ability to get around in the snow safely is my first priority.
I live in an area where snow is uncommon, but not unknown, and temperatures are above freezing for most of the winter. To me, installing "winter" tires doesn't make a lot of logical sense, but I don't think all-season tires are good enough for our winters, either. On two previous cars, I installed Nokian WR G2 "all weather" (not "all season") tires, which are certified as winter tires (with the snowflake-and-mountain symbol on the tire sidewall), but are designed to be left on the car year-round. They seem to be the best compromise for the conditions around here.

Unfortunately, Nokian doesn't make this tire in the 235-55R19 size needed for my 2010 RX 350.
Old 03-26-11, 08:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

BCR, the Nokians sound like a perfect alternative for me too with just enough snow to make driving a PITA a few times during the winter. True winter tires are not really used around here. Chains are illegal. The Dunlops have been fine but I'm sure there are better alternatives. I don't think the Michelin OE tires are necessarily it. Forget the Bridgestones. Fortunately I have time to do more research. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-26-11, 06:34 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had OEM Michelin Cross-Terrains on my previous Acura MDX--- the original set lasted 69,000 miles.
Old 03-31-11, 02:33 PM
mikeecfp
Driver School Candidate

Default 19" wheels with factory Michelins

We have had a very bad experience with the Michelins on 19" wheels on our 2010 RX 350 AWD.

Recently while driving in the Lake Tahoe area on a clear day in the mid afternoon we hit a patch of black ice and spun 90 degrees and slamed into a snow bank, completely destroying the front bumper. We were on a road leading from Squaw Valley ski area out to the highway. There were 6 to 8 cars all driving in the same direction spaced equal apart at a safe distance and all driving at approximately 30 mph. No one in this line of cars lost contol of their car but us. There was no room to maneuver as there was only 3-4 ft between our car and the snow bank. We have approximately 20k mikes on the tires and there appears to be about 1/2 the tread life remaining on them. When we complained to the service manager at the dealership where we bought the car he said the tires we designed for all season highway use and not effective in adverse ice and heavy snow.

We are very unhappy with the way the the car and the tires handled. If we don't get some resolution from Lexus we will probably sell the car and buy a safer AWD vehicle.
Old 03-31-11, 02:53 PM
Mkml63
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikeecfp
We have had a very bad experience with the Michelins on 19" wheels on our 2010 RX 350 AWD.

Recently while driving in the Lake Tahoe area on a clear day in the mid afternoon we hit a patch of black ice and spun 90 degrees and slamed into a snow bank, completely destroying the front bumper. We were on a road leading from Squaw Valley ski area out to the highway. There were 6 to 8 cars all driving in the same direction spaced equal apart at a safe distance and all driving at approximately 30 mph. No one in this line of cars lost contol of their car but us. There was no room to maneuver as there was only 3-4 ft between our car and the snow bank. We have approximately 20k mikes on the tires and there appears to be about 1/2 the tread life remaining on them. When we complained to the service manager at the dealership where we bought the car he said the tires we designed for all season highway use and not effective in adverse ice and heavy snow.

We are very unhappy with the way the the car and the tires handled. If we don't get some resolution from Lexus we will probably sell the car and buy a safer AWD vehicle.
It's unfortunate that you had an accident but the service manager is right. All season tires are jack of all trades, master of none. Don't know what you are expecting from Lexus, accidents do happen
Old 03-31-11, 03:55 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Agree. I think the main problem was the "black ice" and the tires that were 1/2 worn. Believe the Lexus AWD was the least of your worries in that accident at Squaw Valley area.
Old 04-01-11, 09:53 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^
Nothing to do with AWD or your tires. When you are on "black ice", you have very, very little control of the vehicle. I don't know you, but I would have to say the accident was influenced by driver error.
Old 04-01-11, 10:27 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Lexus just needs to provide OEM tires with the proper "collagen blend" to better the experience of driving on pure ice per the following study ! Studded tires are probably the only hope of dealing with stopping on black ice.

"Second, we took notice that the very high polarity of collagen, consisting of amino group, carboxyl group and active hydrogen, gives high adhesion under the hydrophilic state, the collagen shows a very unique devitrification phenomenon which has been said to show a softening at the temperature of approximately 0 [degree] C[16], and also the collagen has micro and complicated fiber shape, receiving an idea from the ecology of animals in cold climates. And we tried to investigate whether an interface bond strength other than the effective contact area and the hysteresis loss might exist for the factor affecting to the friction of rubber compound on ice at the same time with improving it by blending a leather powder consisting of collagen fiber to rubber. "

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-10816679.html

Quick Reply: Factory 19 inch tires?